BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

About 2 and a half hours.  Internally was at 165 inside 2 hrs, but the color wasn't there.  So I stoked the fire, opened the vents and got the grill up to about 450 for 30 min to gut some crunch on it. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

That seemed to work if you're ok with the length of time.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Today is one of those times that I wish I had a proper smoker. I had to run by the regular store instead of new seasons. Just for a lark I checked the meat section and there in the discount area was a 4 lb boneless chuck roast for $16 and change. I threw caution to the wind and snagged it.

If I had a proper smoker I'd do it up brisket style with some as burnt ends. I need to either portion it up in different cuts or freeze it whole today.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Freeze it and figure out how to do something like Michael Pollan did in that series.  Basically a steel fire pit with a wire framed dome covered in foil. 

Or do something with cinder blocks and bricks and foil.  I think you have what it takes to make something happen that you can control air, smoke and temp with.

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

looks like I could make some beef barley soup out of that cut. It's been on my mind for awhile.

RAGER

You can make that out of stew meat.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I cooked off a mess of pork ribs a few days ago and have been having them in different ways. Last night I made a small batch of Franklins bbq sauce. I don't do sauce very often. This one is really simple and turned out really nice. Simmered it for a bit then basted the ribs. In the oven at 250 for a while to heat through and get a little glaze going. Served with a little warm drizzle. Pretty yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Did you make espresso for the sauce? 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No. He has one like that? 

This one is onions sautéed in lots of butter then the ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, lemon juice.

This one.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Ok.

Yeah he has an espresso one. 

Frankin's Espresso BBQ Sauce

Makes about 7 cups.

4 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 tablespoons brewed espresso
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Let cool, cover and store for up to 3 weeks.

Or

Aaron Franklin's Espresso Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) freshly pulled espresso
Brisket drippings, for flavoring

Instructions:
Mix the ketchup, both vinegars, the soy sauce, garlic and onion powders, and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, stir in the espresso, and then add the brisket drippings to taste. Let cool, then transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Not sure which is more accurate.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Temp control got here.

Looks like its on life support

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Quote from: Pissy on July 25, 2022, 02:08:26 PM
Freeze it and figure out how to do something like Michael Pollan did in that series.  Basically a steel fire pit with a wire framed dome covered in foil. 

Or do something with cinder blocks and bricks and foil.  I think you have what it takes to make something happen that you can control air, smoke and temp with.

Not familiar with that series. I'll look it up.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Cooked on Netflix I think.  It's pretty good. 

Here. Episode 1.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/80022456?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=80094722
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Aaron Franklin makes a pit from cinder blocks in this one. 

https://pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-3-whole-hog?source=social
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Ok. I've seen that Pollan one. Haven't seen that Franklin one but I'm not gonna go through any of that elaborate hassle.

What I'll be probably do is put it on the Weber to get the initial smoke then finish in the oven. Do a simple salt, pepper, msg "rub". But not for at least a week since it will be 100 for the next 5 days.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Right. 

Today I'm doing ribs again since I need to test out the temp controller.  No whammies, no whammies...
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

This temp control is working fantastically.   I'm very happy so far. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Did I just add a pic to you message?   This text box worked better when it was broken
Vinyls.   deal.

longviewcaps

Fab. Thanks for the details. With proper motivation and gear, anyone can get similar outcomes at home.
Sansui Marantz Rotel Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Luxman Klipsch

Pissy

Honestly, most of my Charlotte bbq buddies us a weber kettle, and buy this thing called a Smokenator.  It's basically a stainless steel divider that corals the coals behind it in a smal pile, with access to add more charcoal or wood and has a bowl for water to keep temps from spiking too abruptly.  This pic shows the food on the ash grate.  I don't think I know anyone who does it that way, instead they use the standard food grate with the hinged access to service the Smokenator.

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Cool. That might be worth a try. Never seen one of those.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Just realized my Weber is an 18". Must've been thinking of a previous one. If they're a bunch on CL. A few Performers too. Hmmm.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

There's one for the 18.

Smokenator 180 - Transform Your 18" Weber Kettle Into an Efficient Smoker https://a.co/d/dHati10
Vinyls.   deal.