Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GodShifter

I checked out Bronson last night on strangelight's recommendation.

I thought it was good, and I definitely get the tag of the 'Clockwork Orange for the 21st Century', because the movie definitely has the same feel to it; especially the music that flows over various scenes. Just a lot of comparisons could be made, really.

Good performance by Tom Hardy. I think sl liked this so much because she got to see Hardy's schlong five or six times in an hour and a half span  ;) (probably why bolt liked it, too).

deleted account

Quote from: priest on March 01, 2012, 05:34:04 PM
yeah, I must have liked it cuz I keep thinking about it.  it's like a cross between A Clockwork Orange and that movie about that Joy Division dude.  I do have a hard time believing that that's anywhere near how it all went down in real life though

page 21.  get with the times, SL!  :)

strangelight

there's stripper titties too. but it was mostly the look on hardy's face as he watched that guy shit into his own hand and then rub it all over his face.

:-X

boltthrow

The best moment to me was when the warden kinda reached Bronson by encouraging him to do art and then Bronson made him a painting and took it to him and the warden just blew him off and you could see the pain and devastation on Bronson's face (even though he was wearing sunglasses) and you know we just lost any chance of saving Bronson from himself.

strangelight

yeah, that was awesome. and then that art teacher trying to ride his prison artist's coattails just got him tortured for 44 hours.

also, in the mental ward, when that seemingly not-as-crazy mental patient reveals himself to be a pedo ("how about you, me, and a 9 year old girl?"), the look of rage that ran through bronson, but he was too heavily sedated to rip that guy's head off... that was pretty incredible.

Lumpy

I liked the part with the spoiler alerts.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

Quote from: GodShifter on July 27, 2012, 02:56:35 PM
I checked out Bronson last night on strangelight's recommendation.

I thought it was good, and I definitely get the tag of the 'Clockwork Orange for the 21st Century', because the movie definitely has the same feel to it; especially the music that flows over various scenes. Just a lot of comparisons could be made, really.

Good performance by Tom Hardy. I think sl liked this so much because she got to see Hardy's schlong five or six times in an hour and a half span  ;) (probably why bolt liked it, too).
i knew there was a catch..im boycotting the movie.

The Shocker

Yep. It's about a chick that sucked her dog's dick once in college and what happens when the secret gets out. Bobcat Goldthwait sucks as a director, but as a writer he's not bad.

lowdaddy

Quote from: The Shocker on July 28, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Yep. It's about a chick that sucked her dog's dick once in college and what happens when the secret gets out. Bobcat Goldthwait sucks as a director, but as a writer he's not bad.

wtf?  are you serious??   ??? :o ???
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Demon Lung

The director is bobcat goldwith. Does it suprise you?

Demon Lung

Silent house. The Olsen sister that isn't a twin has some really bouncy boobies

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: Demon Lung on July 29, 2012, 12:57:10 AM
Silent house. The Olsen sister that isn't a twin has some really bouncy boobies

Her boobs look wonderful in Martha Marcy May Marlene
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

Lumpy

"Watchmen" -- one of the better superhero movies IMO. I never looked at the graphic novel (or comic book or whatever). Ending was sightly incomprehensible to me, but I rolled with it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

strangelight

the ending is different in the graphic novel. a giant vagina monster destroys the city. even less comprehensible.

sleestak

Saw the dark knight rises last night and loved it from beginning to end.  Kicks the shit out of the one with that loser that banged the Olsen twin.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

lordfinesse

Hatchet II.  Ridiculous and great. I'm sure I'll watch it again. I don't always have the best judgement though.
Billy Squier 24/7

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on August 02, 2012, 06:43:48 PM
"Watchmen" -- one of the better superhero movies IMO. I never looked at the graphic novel (or comic book or whatever). Ending was sightly incomprehensible to me, but I rolled with it.

I'm not a comic book guy or superhero guy, but I liked Watchmen a lot.

juggernaut

Quote from: strangelight on August 02, 2012, 06:56:15 PM
the ending is different in the graphic novel. a giant vagina monster destroys the city. even less comprehensible.

Pretty much.  I read the graphic novel right before I saw the movie and I have to say I can't really understand any complaints with the movie.  It was pretty much a verbatim translation from the book to the screen with the exception of the change in the ending which made a lot more sense.

I,Galactus

Quote from: juggernaut on August 03, 2012, 05:14:32 PM
Pretty much.  I read the graphic novel right before I saw the movie and I have to say I can't really understand any complaints with the movie.

My complaints were and still remain thus:
1)  Ramping quickly becomes a really boring visual effect.
b)  Actors who played Ozy and Silk Spectre were incredibly wooden and weak.
also)  I vastly prefer the metatextual clusterfuck Alan Moore ending.

All the other actors were great, the historical montage at the beginning was fantastic, and some of the shot for panel scenes were really cool.  The thing that made that book great was all the little stuff that could never make it into a feature film (kid at the comic stand, random societal synchronicity) that really made the setting feel realistic and "lived-in."

/nerd
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Sundholm

Quote from: lordfinesse on August 03, 2012, 02:12:44 AM
Hatchet II.  Ridiculous and great. I'm sure I'll watch it again. I don't always have the best judgement though.

Loved Hatchet II, but not as much as I loved the original.  Tony Todd and Daniel Harris did such capable acting jobs that it sort of stifled the humor.  :D

HORNS

I saw PT Anderson's new film "The Master" last night. I wrote a review over at that other place.

whoshotthefrog

This is an Austalian Western film. It's about a cop's first day in a new town, Red Hill. To bad the first day has a prison escapee coming back to town to seek revenge on the town's Sheriff who arrested him 10 years earlier. Plenty of bloodshed and killing throughout the movie. Worth seeing.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

I,Galactus

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on August 04, 2012, 04:56:39 PM
Worth seeing.

But not worth linking a working movie poster jpeg.   ;)

Wikipedia is your friend.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

The Shocker

Quote from: HORNS on August 04, 2012, 04:22:25 PM
I saw PT Anderson's new film "The Master" last night. I wrote a review over at that other place.

BOO!  The least you could do is cut and paste it to here.

strangelight

Quote from: juggernaut on August 03, 2012, 05:14:32 PM
Quote from: strangelight on August 02, 2012, 06:56:15 PM

Pretty much.  I read the graphic novel right before I saw the movie and I have to say I can't really understand any complaints with the movie.  It was pretty much a verbatim translation from the book to the screen with the exception of the change in the ending which made a lot more sense.

the graphic novel ending with the space vagina monster is basically a tool ozymandias uses to unite the US and the USSR against an external threat (from space!!!!). the dr. manhattan nukes cities thing doesn't quite accomplish the same thing, because he was a weapon of the US that flipped out, making it totally justifiable for the ruskies to blame this shit on the US not being able to control their own weapon. even though US cities got nuked, it doesn't accomplish the same thing of unifying the two sides against an outside threat. i mean, the movie says it does, but it isn't as convincing. but i do think the vagina monster would've seemed so random in a film where you have no time to digest what happened.

i loved the graphic novel. i was lukewarm on the film. my biggest complaint was that these losers in tights were supposed to be regular humans who just put on costumes and go out and attack criminals. they weren't superheroes. other than dr manhattan, they possessed no super human powers. not even batman-style resources and ninja training. but in the film's fight sequences, all the slow motion blood spatter and choreographed fighting made it look like they were bad ass fighters, which completely misses the point that these are regular idiot people putting themselves in danger with no real ability to protect themselves.

(side bar: i've heard people hating on the dark knight rises' fight scenes between batman and bane because it's a slow, sluggish fist-fight, but that's the point! alfred spends the first half of the movie telling bruce wayne that he's not batman anymore, that he's not fit, he can't fight like he used to, he's lost his ninja powers. so of course when batman actually tries to fight, it's going to be slow, sloppy, and telegraphed. i thought that was a really nice touch and the complaints about the fight scenes miss the point of the first half of the movie. of the whole movie, actually. dude isn't batman anymore and he needs like 10 people to help him.)

in the graphic novel of the watchmen, when rorschach tracks down that pedo and kills him, and basically flips to anti-hero psycho status, he doesn't actually kill the guy. he chains him to a radiator, hands him a blunt saw, and sets the building on fire, and tells him if he wants to get out alive he'll have to cut his own arm off. that has a completely different tone and dynamic to the movie version, where rorschach rages out and just crushes the guy's skull with an ax. it added absolutely nothing to the character to make that change. it actually took away from him a little bit, i thought. it's not like it saved them millions of dollars either.