Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demon Lung

GodShifter

Quote from: lowdaddy on August 15, 2012, 09:05:32 PM
strong.  real fucking strong.  i like psychological thrillers and i love those rare films that are truly psychologically horrifying.  this thing was gut-wrenching.  mortifying.  real.  fucking.  scary.  yall.

Tough, bleak movie. Certainly made me think about some things as a parent and a human being in terms of past and future decisions in many respects.

That said, and not having read the book, it seems to me the kid was a little too calculating, spawn of Satan type of a deal, instead of the real ambiguities in life and parenting that lead to a child turning out like that. I enjoyed it though. Not a pleasant movie to watch at all, but as I said, certainly leaves you thinking about it.

whoshotthefrog

Texas mortician Bernie befriends the small town's wealthiest widow and then kills her. Despite the suspicious nature of her death, no one wants to think anything but the best of Bernie.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

deleted account

so if Dazed is a 10 and School is a 1, what does this one score?

bitter

Meh. The movie would be interesting enough if they didn't filter it through that everything is interconnected in the universe theme. I'm burnt out on movies that push this concept.

6/10
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: priest on August 30, 2012, 12:58:20 PM
so if Dazed is a 10 and School is a 1, what does this one score?

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

GodShifter

What I've seen recently:

Thunderstruck with Kevin Durant.

My daughter wanted to see this. Basically, if you've seen "Like Mike", you've seen this. Loser kid in high school who wants to be a basketball star, somehow magically gets Kevin Durant's talent, while Durant loses his. Kid becomes popular and amazing, Durant goes into huge slump. Blah blah blah. Everything works out in the end. 3/10

The Hunter with Willem Dafoe.

A hunter (Dafoe) posing as scientist is assigned to bring back the remains of the rare and, perhaps, extinct Tasmanian Tiger which a company wants for use in biological experiments. He winds up lodging with a family who's father is missing due to his own quest to find the tiger and protect it. Dafoe's character winds up bonding with the family and blah blah blah. Anyway, I liked this movie quite a bit despite it being somewhat predictable. Good performance by Dafoe and great cinematography.Tasmania seems like a beautiful place. 7/10.

retardgroove

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on August 30, 2012, 10:08:03 AM

Texas mortician Bernie befriends the small town's wealthiest widow and then kills her. Despite the suspicious nature of her death, no one wants to think anything but the best of Bernie.

I dug it. Fun.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: GodShifter on August 31, 2012, 12:12:08 PM
What I've seen recently:

The Hunter with Willem Dafoe.

A hunter (Dafoe) posing as scientist is assigned to bring back the remains of the rare and, perhaps, extinct Tasmanian Tiger which a company wants for use in biological experiments. He winds up lodging with a family who's father is missing due to his own quest to find the tiger and protect it. Dafoe's character winds up bonding with the family and blah blah blah. Anyway, I liked this movie quite a bit despite it being somewhat predictable. Good performance by Dafoe and great cinematography.Tasmania seems like a beautiful place. 7/10.

I saw this a few weeks ago. I liked it.

Sally

Ok...people give me some netflix  suggestions....suspense/ action movies....

The Shocker

Quote from: Sally on September 07, 2012, 12:35:15 AM

Martyrs

GodShifter

You're a cruel man, Shocker.

I'd suggest looking down a page a bit at the 'Netflix' thread. It's got some good suggestions.

Streaming wise, 'Drive' & 'The Hunter' were two good ones I saw recently from my Netflix instant queue.

lowdaddy

i saw the devil
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on August 04, 2012, 04:56:39 PM

This is an Austalian Western film. It's about a cop's first day in a new town, Red Hill. To bad the first day has a prison escapee coming back to town to seek revenge on the town's Sheriff who arrested him 10 years earlier. Plenty of bloodshed and killing throughout the movie. Worth seeing.

Sally

Instant Dan

Plot: A POV, found footage horror film from the perspective of America's top genre filmmakers. A group of misfits are hired by an unknown third party to burglarize a desolate house in the countryside and acquire a rare tape. Upon searching the house, the guys are confronted with a dead body, a hub of old televisions and an endless supply of cryptic footage, each video stranger than the last.

My thoughts: A Creepshow for the millennials. I wasn't really sold on it at first as found-footage films have gone from 'revolutionary' to 'meh' to 'avoid at all costs' but I was suprisingly wrong with this one as far as originality and interesting take on horror anthology goes.

Without giving too much away, as I feel the trailer already does, the first story starts off very strong and very unsettling, if you like hooking up with strangers in bars you might think twice after seeing this. The second story is still strong but goes in a 180 as far as pace, the ending ties it all together and makes a great Hitchcock-like story. The third story is a hit or miss, it's more or less a tribute to the 80's slasher films with an ounce of supernatural involved. Fourth story as well is a hit or mess, borrows from the last ten years of supernatural films. The fifth and final story is a tribute to The Exorcist/Poltergeist and definitely had some good scares along the way. I think out of all of them, the first and last story are the strongest.

It's not without its faults, as with found-footage it has the shaky-cam syndrome but it adds to the suspense in a good way without getting too overdone. The story of the guys trying to find the tape has its plot-holes/cheese moments as well.

This is definitely an enjoyable horror film and if you been needing a good fix, I reccommend it.

3/4 stars.

lowdaddy

Quote from: Sally on September 08, 2012, 09:33:49 AM
Quote from: lowdaddy on September 08, 2012, 02:55:57 AM

i saw the devil
And.......

that's the name of the movie woman!  you know what the fuck i'm talking about!   :D  it's my current favorite movie in the world.  korean revenge flick.  and holy shit is it good.

GodShifter

I did a review of I Saw The Devil here or on sr.com or maybe it was at The Obelisk. I can't remember.

The main gist of my review:

I thought it was kind of over-the-top and not in a good way. There are parts of it that I really liked, but overall, it was kind of stupid and too drawn out. The scene where the killer reunites with his old serial killer buddy at that mansion where the dude is dining, obviously, on human flesh, was ridiculously stupid (and not in a good way). Uh, ever heard of subtlety ? Apparently not. Never the less, it is an entertaining movie, though inherently flawed, overall.

boltthrow

You're just a Korean-hating racist.*

*  Good work.  They're filthy.

lowdaddy

Quote from: GodShifter on September 10, 2012, 11:51:17 AM
I did a review of I Saw The Devil here or on sr.com or maybe it was at The Obelisk. I can't remember.

I thought it was kind of over-the-top and not in a good way. There are parts of it that I really liked, but overall, it was kind of stupid and too drawn out. The scene where the killer reunites with his old serial killer buddy at that mansion where the dude is dining, obviously, on human flesh, was ridiculously stupid (and not in a good way). Uh, ever heard of subtlety ? Apparently not. Never the less, it is an entertaining movie, though inherently flawed, overall.

incorrect.  it is, in fact, the greatest movie ever made.  and the part at the cannibal's backwoods mansion is fucking beautiful.  wonderful.  i wanna make love to it.  that is all.  fuck subtle.

The Shocker

Quote from: lowdaddy on September 11, 2012, 02:01:00 AM
Quote from: GodShifter on September 10, 2012, 11:51:17 AM

incorrect.  it is, in fact, the greatest movie ever made.  and the part at the cannibal's backwoods mansion is fucking beautiful.  wonderful.  i wanna make love to it.  that is all.  fuck subtle.

I felt it dragged a little bit and was a half hour too long, but otherwise pretty good. 

neighbor664

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: neighbor664 on September 16, 2012, 02:17:24 AM

The only question worth asking was their nudity and was it full-frontal?

neighbor664

No, that was a HUGE let down. I'd watched hopping to see Caprica Six (Tricia Helfer) nude and in explicit situations.
None of either, she does kick some ass though. No masterpiece, but it was still an entertaining film.

Soundgardenia

This doesnt really apply to movies that I've seen recently, specially since I saw this particular movie right when it came out, however, I just decided to try out Epix, and was looking through their sections and for some dumb reason, Dumplings is on the Belt Busting Humor section.

I mean, SPOILER ALERT

It's dumplings made out of fucking dead babies... How come is it in the same section of Hot Tub Time Machine?

< /rant >
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..