Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmucke

Tarantino doing his thing, this time throwing trashy Italo-Western and "Mandingo" in a blender. As expected it has some great dialogue-scenes, some cool acting by Christoph Waltz and some funny cameos. But overall I found it to be mostly tiresome. These days Tarantino doesn't tell any stories anymore and takes 165 minutes to do it.

Demon Lung

Ted is such a fucking horrible movie

bbottom

Quote from: Demon Lung on December 22, 2012, 11:11:07 PM
Ted is such a fucking horrible movie

It was basically a live action Family guy episode.

I found it pretty funny. Being a child of the 80's all of the Flash Gordon references had me laughing my ass off

astroman

Cloud Atlas was the shit. Totally enthralling. But I still keep it at 8/10 even though it is epic as fuck. I may appreciate it even more after further review, and I will have no problem rewatching this several time despite the 3-hour length.

Django Unchained on the other hand will be tough to sit through again in the near future. Was good, but fell a bit flat. Honestly what I have expected since I first heard about the project. Still a bit of a disappointment considering how much I like Basterds and Death Proof.

CanookieWookie

Not anywhere as good as the first one.  But still entertaining. 6.5/10

retardgroove

You will either love or hate this movie. I thought it was alot of fun.

I,Galactus

Seen that there Hobbit flick.  A little of the LOTR continuity padding at the beginning bugged me, but aside from some minor quibbles it was a great flick.  Martin Freeman killed it.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

boltthrow

Django was fairly awful.  A few fleeting moments of interest but mostly nothing but Tarantino's undisciplined and slothful self-regard.  In fact when he shows up in the movie it's a perfect crystallization of what his (previous and terrifically talented) career has become: he doesn't care if anything blows apart the actual film, it's simply all about him and how deliriously in love he is with what he writes and what he does. 

Foxx, Christoph and Leo were good but the best thing was that Kareem Abdul Jabar was in the audience.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: boltthrow on December 28, 2012, 01:55:25 AM
Django was fairly awful.  A few fleeting moments of interest but mostly nothing but Tarantino's undisciplined and slothful self-regard.  In fact when he shows up in the movie it's a perfect crystallization of what his (previous and terrifically talented) career has become: he doesn't care if anything blows apart the actual film, it's simply all about him and how deliriously in love he is with what he writes and what he does. 

Foxx, Christoph and Leo were good but the best thing was that Kareem Abdul Jabar was in the audience.

Was Lew Alcindor wearing his goggles?
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

I,Galactus

Probably the Game of Death shades...

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

boltthrow

My first thought was "Holy shit, that man knew Bruce Lee."

CanookieWookie

Not a great movie.  However it was fun to watch, and not many movies are.  7.5/10

gritty_fingers

Quote from: jmucke on December 18, 2012, 11:02:08 AM

Tarantino doing his thing, this time throwing trashy Italo-Western and "Mandingo" in a blender. As expected it has some great dialogue-scenes, some cool acting by Christoph Waltz and some funny cameos. But overall I found it to be mostly tiresome. These days Tarantino doesn't tell any stories anymore and takes 165 minutes to do it.

I loved the movie. I was entralled the entire 3 hours. I guess we are different.
"Ginger People"

whoshotthefrog

I wouldn't say it was great, but it wasn't bad. It kept my attention and looking at Beckinsale and Biel helped a lot.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

whoshotthefrog

Loved it. Not much more else i can say since i'm sure a lot of you have seen it already.

whoshotthefrog

It's about an adopted girl whose talent in life is butter carving. In order to make her mark she enters the local town butter carving contest. However, she is up against an ambitious local woman in the annual contest who makes it her goal to win at all costs. Very funny film. Worth a rent.

diasdegalvan

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
I had high expectations for this movie and they were well met (unlike Prometheus).

GodShifter

Nice job with the synopsis for each movie, frog! Appreciated and applauded.

mortlock

jack reacher will go down as the greatest movie ever filmed in the history of humans on earth or any other planet..

natehusky

Saw django today . I wasn't really impressed.

boltthrow

I continue to think about Django and continue to be disappointed.

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on December 30, 2012, 08:41:55 PM
jack reacher will go down as the greatest movie ever filmed in the history of humans on earth or any other planet..

did you hit your head?
No Focus Pocus

bitter

When I first saw the trailer for this I thought it might be fun. Admittedly, I only made it half way through the film. Normally, I would not post a review without completing the movie, but in this case, it just wasn't worth it.

To begin, I also watched the Abe Lincoln vs. Zombies movie recently. While this film is leagues above the Zombie version in terms of budget, effects, etc., it truly wasn't much better. The initial setup regarding both films are relatively similar, revolving around Lincoln's mother dying as a result of an undead attacker. Unfortunately, the vampire adaptation basically falls apart after her death.

The general theme of the film is Lincoln's obsession with revenge. Segments are short and choppy with numerous illogical transitions and strange political aspects that hint at Abe's political future. Within 15-20 minutes, Lincoln is twirling an axe like a cheerleader's baton as he goes through his "super-hero training" to hunt vampires. Frankly, I didn't know the movie was going to get all cheezy and take the super hero approach. Very matrix-y action and over-the-top fight scenes. The CGI and musical themes were not horrible, but completely out of place for the early 19th Century time period. Much like those new Sherlock Holmes flicks, this modern re-imagination of the era(s) does not feel appropriate.

[spoiler]At one point, Abe fights a vampire inside a CGI'd horse stampede. They ran along the charging horses' backs, leaping from one beast to another with no effort. It made literally no sense. The CGI, again, was not horrible, albeit unecessary. The silver lining would be their use of color/lighting during those scenes. If it had been applied more correctly, that would have created really beautiful and meaningful set pieces.   [/spoiler]

Normally, historical correctness is not a huge issue in a film like this, but Mary Todd Lincoln's character was way off. In the Shaftian ethos, Todd was a violent and crazy uppity fat chick; whereas, in the film she is portrayed by the always stunning and lovely, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. She is jaw dropping :-*

Unfortunately, their romance felt rushed. So much so, that I would argue their Bond was forced and nearly unimportant to the film.

A plus for me was the addition of Jimmi Simpson, who isn't the greatest actor, but who I am always happy to see.

Again, his role (at least in terms of his inclusion in the action) made little sense. One moment his character was overlooked, the next he was wholeheartedly embroiled in the conflict.

This is not the most objective review, but the choppiness of the story made it unwatchable to the point I chose not to finish. Nothing seemed logical, whether in the story or in its pacing. I would argue that anyone reading this should take this review with a grain of salt. Feel free to rent away and give it a shot. Who knows, you may dig it?

4.5/10

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Demon Lung

Quote from: retardgroove on December 26, 2012, 03:25:38 PM
You will either love or hate this movie. I thought it was alot of fun.

this movie is ok. It's a little too much at times. Like Gina gershons full on bush but its an alright game

Andrew Blakk

Saw El Narco just the other day. Not bad at all, not bad... Makes sence...