Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on December 31, 2012, 09:41:28 PM
Quote from: mortlock on December 30, 2012, 08:41:55 PM
jack reacher will go down as the greatest movie ever filmed in the history of humans on earth or any other planet..

did you hit your head?
i wasnt being serious.

retardgroove

Quote from: Demon Lung on January 01, 2013, 02:15:27 AM
Quote from: retardgroove on December 26, 2012, 03:25:38 PM
You will either love or hate this movie. I thought it was alot of fun.

this movie is ok. It's a little too much at times. Like Gina gershons full on bush but its an alright game

The over the top-ness is why I dug it. Gina Gershon's 50-year-old over grown bush in the opening scene. Good shit.

Demon Lung

Quote from: retardgroove on January 01, 2013, 10:54:24 PM
Quote from: Demon Lung on January 01, 2013, 02:15:27 AM
Quote from: retardgroove on December 26, 2012, 03:25:38 PM
You will either love or hate this movie. I thought it was alot of fun.

this movie is ok. It's a little too much at times. Like Gina gershons full on bush but its an alright game

The over the top-ness is why I dug it. Gina Gershon's 50-year-old over grown bush in the opening scene. Good shit.
yeah. The Gina gershon fried chicken blowjob was movie magic for sure

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

jmucke

Its not "In Bruges" but still a lot of fun. Great cast, fun dialogue and some nice ideas.

Became surprisingly coventional towards the end but - again - great cast. And it was nice to see Jennifer Lawrence in a good role - seems like the first since "Winters Bone".

boltthrow

I disliked Seven Psychopaths (except for Colin F's beautiful hair) but liked Playbook though i too thought that "wrap it all up rom-com style" ending jarred significantly with the complicated earlier stuff.  But she was terrific and her ass looks great in yoga pants.

Lumpy

The Katy Perry documentary (does Shaft know about this?) I didn't know anything about her (she did a Christian singer/songwriter album when she was a teenager... she writes her own songs...). I kind of like her now (not the music but she seems nice).

The Avengers: mostly boring. Less than the sum of it's parts. Samuel L. Jackson can't really act (?) I guess good Spider-Man movies (the Toby McGuire ones) and good Iron Man movies are an aberration in the Marvel Universe. 6 or 7/10

New Spider-Man movie: unwatchable. Painful.

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises: not bad, but too dark (hard to see the action). Better than I expected. Bane sounded like a Bond villain - "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" (whoever that was... Goldfinger?)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr Neutron

Iron Sky. Nazi's from the dark side of the moon. Completely silly, and wonderful.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

jmucke

Quote from: boltthrow on January 09, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
But she was terrific and her ass looks great in yoga pants.

True. To die for.

deleted account

Quote from: jmucke on January 10, 2013, 12:43:51 PM
Quote from: boltthrow on January 09, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
But she was terrific and her ass looks great in yoga pants.

True. To die for.

somebody post a fuckin' spoiler pic or 5

whoshotthefrog

strangelight

i saw lincoln. i am very conflicted about this film.

the good parts: daniel day lewis is goddamn amazing and deserves all the awards forever. james spader and tommy lee jones (as my favourite US politician of all time, thaddeus stevens) are great too. oh yeah, and jared harris as ulysses s grant. who would've thought lane pryce could be such a convincing US civil war general. the acting was pretty damn great all around.

the mehs: sally field as lincoln's wife is incomprehensible, but i guess that's the point, since mary todd was supposedly off her rocker.

the bad parts:

the writing. the way lincoln strays into rambling, very "southern politician from the 1990s" stories to make a point just rang false to me. DDL played them remarkably well and anyone else doing it would've exposed all the cheeseball corniness in the writing. DDL saved those scenes. but it was still too much of a fairy tale of what a good politician should sound like.

and beyond the dialogue, the entire direction this film took will require a lot of undoing in history classrooms for years to come. that's fine, i guess, because it'll spark discussion, but damn. if you're telling a story of the passage of the 13th amendment, i think it's a HUGE mistake to make that story primarily about petty bickering in congress. where are the actual abolitionists? no frederick douglass? no mention of the fact that, in 1865, there were only 3 slave nations left: the US, cuba, and brazil. they didn't have to mention all of that in the film, but they could've acted like the US was behind the times, not in front of it, because that's what the tenor of the debate was actually like. "we're embarrassing ourselves," not "the world is watching to see what we do! we must lead!!"

this movie is more about myth-making, which i guess means teachers will do all the myth-breaking, and that's fine. it'd actually be really interesting to start off a class with this film and then spend the rest of the semester complicating the hollywood version with all those pesky truths and facts. so, i mean, yeah... it's ok. this movie isn't really telling the story of abolition. it's telling the story of congressional bickering and how the great compromiser led them through it by breaking a fuck-ton of laws. so, for what it's trying to do, it's fine. i just can't help but get nerd-rage over the history parts.

the directing. yeah, i said it. the opening sequence of a bloody civil war battle with no soundtrack behind it is the same as the opening sequence to saving private ryan. it's not 20 minutes long, but it is derivative. and when the amendment is passed, the way we learn is when lincoln and his son stand by the window, hear churchbells ringing, and their shadows are set against some lace curtains. CHEESY GOODNESS. and the last, most cringeworthy moment was when lincoln's lying dead in bed, then spielberg zooms into an oil lamp's flame, and then lincoln appears in the flame, like a ghost!! embarrassing.

rating: 7/10, mostly for the acting.

bitter

This was kind of stupid. I never saw the soap opera, so I don't really know what they were trying to achieve here. Didn't seem to have much of a story, rather it started, meandered pointlessly through the middle, and then ended with a big theatrical pop of action. There were a lot of character's, but their interactions were sparse, leaving most of them unnecessary. That Chloe Moretz girl was basically hyper-sexualized like nearly every other role she's been in. I don't quite understand why they feel the need to whore that little girl out? It's creepy that folks think that's acceptable.

Like every Tim Burton movie, this is a vessel for his wife to find work. To a lesser degree, the same can be said about Johnny Depp. Basically, it's the same Tim Burton-y drivel they put out every year.

Now lets talk Eva Green! She plays the exact same role she always plays, but I don't care. I am infatuated with this wild-eyed, witchy cunt. I would lay so much hate into her it isn't even funny. She's like embers underneath my skin. She makes my mouth water. And by mouth, I mean penis. I ain't fucking kidding. [spoiler]She tore her panties off and placed them onto Johnny Depp's face while he was chained in a coffin!!![/spoiler]

6/10

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

boltthrow

Saw Gangster Squad.  It was... okay.  Kinda cutesy and stylized.  Ryan Gosling is dreamy.  Josh Brolin is heroic.  Robert Patrick is good (and on top of his quick appearance in Safe House, he's been a favorite recently).  Sean Penn is way too OTT though.  He's now officially become Al Pacino.

Demon Lung

chille01

Bolt... I haven't seen it yet, so please either refute or confirm my suspicions that Gangster Squad is basically just the Untouchables '13?

boltthrow

It is... with even more CGI surface gloss.  It makes Untouchables seem positively deep but that only because when I saw the Untouchables, all the actors were older than me so it seemed authoritative.  Now they're all younger so it seems more like kids playing dress-up.  But yes, Josh Brolin has the halo-fitted wife just like Kevin Costner did, Ryan Gosling plays the smart-aleck sidekick like Connery, the bad guy overchews scenery left and right, etc.  Switch out LA for Chicago and there you go. 

The Bandit

Watched The Gauntlet again.  Bitches sure got smacked in the face in the 70's. 

whoshotthefrog

jmucke

Gripping stuff, opinionated of course, but the film is very convincing in showing how much went wrong in the West-Memphis-3-case. I only saw the first of the "Paradise Lost"-docs and that was years ago. With the release of the three last year and Peter Jackson behind this doc as a producer the amount of footage and interview partners is impressive and the filmmakers obviously had way more access than the original doc makers ever had. 150 minutes with no commentary, only original recordings and interviews, and never gets boring (great editing).

peoplething

^ My wife read through Echols book in two days, she said it was amazing.

I actually watched a movie I haven't seen 473 times and wasn't a B-Movie from 1971:

I don't recommend researching on the web for this one - go in blind.

I dug it.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

mutantcolors

I watched Killer Joe because of this thread. I was quite entertained. The characters were so fucking stupid I had to remind myself it was probably just effective acting, and not real stupidity that was making my blood boil.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: peoplething on January 14, 2013, 05:21:43 PM
^ My wife read through Echols book in two days, she said it was amazing.

I actually watched a movie I haven't seen 473 times and wasn't a B-Movie from 1971:

I don't recommend researching on the web for this one - go in blind.

I dug it.

I saw this ahile ago. Definitely a strange film, but i liked it.

Andrew Blakk