Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demon Lung

Last night we saw "the raid redemption" oh I mean dredd. What a fucking ripoff. Also saw the possession. Now that was some retarded shit

boltthrow

Watched The Pact last night.  Didn't add up to much but had some very nice genuine scares and atmosphere in it.  If you like horror, you'll like this.

Watched Raid: Redemption the other night.  Pretty good but seemed more like an action calling card for the director than a movie (though the velocity of some of the action was fairly amazing).

Saw Zero Dark Thirty the other day too.  I liked it but it's hard to judge it as a movie since it seemed like a docudrama and didn't adhere to "standard" movie conventions.  Which i liked. 

boltthrow

Just watched The Kill List which I liked a lot too.  Takes a hard left from one type of movie into another very dramatically.  Terrific improv-y acting.  Worth watching.  But don't read anything about it beforehand, just let it happen.

retardgroove

Quote from: boltthrow on January 16, 2013, 09:07:55 PM
Just watched The Kill List which I liked a lot too.  Takes a hard left from one type of movie into another very dramatically.  Terrific improv-y acting.  Worth watching.  But don't read anything about it beforehand, just let it happen.

It was surprisingly cool.

boltthrow

I loved the other guy, Gal, with the hangdog face.  His interaction with the main guy, from friendship to anger to fighting back to friendship was incredibly subtle and realistic.

p.s. I had to watch with subtitles so I could understand what they were saying. 

RAGER

About a half hour of Savages.  What a steaming pile.
No Focus Pocus

astroman

Finally saw a couple I have been meaning to for a while:

Looper - I thought it was pretty badass despite the flaws in logic. This will get repeat views.

Cabin in the Woods - Fun, mediocre movie. Worth watching. Something about that red haired chick....

boltthrow

I walked out of Savages.  What a steaming pile.

jmucke

Interesting, but after History Of Violence and Eastern Promises a bit of a letdown. I missed out on Cosmopolis because I absolutely refuse to watch a movie with Robert Pattinson, even if its directed by Cronenberg.

agent of change

Just watched "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Great non-sequiturs, detours, and interesting dialogue. Even went deep without feeling too cheesy.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

mutantcolors

Really insightful post, makes me want to see the movie. Thank you.

jmucke

Quote from: agent of change on January 20, 2013, 10:16:23 PM
Just watched "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Great non-sequiturs, detours, and interesting dialogue. Even went deep without feeling too cheesy.

I would have liked it a lot more if Keira Knightleys character wouldn't have been so obnoxious. God, I hated her. That speech about vinyl and how warm it sounds was the phoniest attempt by a screenwriter to be hip that I've seen in a long time. Not surprisingly its that same writer who wrote Nick And Nora. That had a similar cringeworthy scene at Electric Ladyland.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 23, 2013, 10:22:54 PM
Really insightful post, makes me want to see the movie. Thank you.

Not sure who that was directed at but how hard is it to look up a movie at imbd.com? If some one doesn't leave a descrioption that's what I do.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

Lumpy

How about a quick rating, if not a short (or full) description?

Or maybe we should assume it's good, if it gets posted up here (?)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

agent of change

Quote from: jmucke on January 24, 2013, 04:19:19 AM
Quote from: agent of change on January 20, 2013, 10:16:23 PM

I would have liked it a lot more if Keira Knightleys character wouldn't have been so obnoxious. God, I hated her. That speech about vinyl and how warm it sounds was the phoniest attempt by a screenwriter to be hip that I've seen in a long time. Not surprisingly its that same writer who wrote Nick And Nora. That had a similar cringeworthy scene at Electric Ladyland.

I hear that. I guess I just saw her as a hyperemotional, pat-her-on-the-head kind of idiot, who he chose to love anyway.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

jmucke

The Hollywood-debut of Chan-wook Park (Oldboy). A little slow at the beginning but stunningly shot all the way through. Starts as a standard psycho-uncle-thriller but becomes more and more twisted (not really a surprise). Different from his Korean movies but anything but usual Hollywood-fare. And what is it with Asians and pubescent girls?

agent of change

Just watched House of the Devil. Not your standard horror fare. Very slow, creepy. Reminded me of Polanski. Really really liked most of it, but when it started moving towards the conclusion it lost me a bit, got into slightly more cliche horror stuff. Worth a watch though.

bitter

This was supacuteTM. I have a real soft spot for these little animated movies, and had been looking forward to this since I first saw the trailer. The story is about a little boy who can see the dead. He lives in a town that was cursed by a murdered witch and every year someone must read her a bedtime story on the anniversary of her death to ensure she wont awake and raise the dead.

Visually, the film was all over the place. Different media was used, so texturally speaking, there was a lot of variety in the animation styling. colors were beautiful and constantly changing. Lighting was beautiful, and the even employed some forced perspective and other film tricks that brought life to the characters and the environment.

The characters were also great. Lot of little humorous jokes and general sweetness. John Goodman was great.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this. You'll most likely dig it and you're kid's will too.

8.5/10
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

CanookieWookie

Listen, this movie is only about violence.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I liked it.  A solid 7.

boltthrow

You'll most likely dig it and you're kid's will too.

So you're saying that not only we'll probably enjoy the movie but we are actually the legal document that is used to distribute a child's belongings after his death? 

That's odd. 

bitter

That was fucking terrible. This sub-forum is supposed to be a safe place. ;D

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

whoshotthefrog

Documentary about the Bones Brigade skate crew and the members of this crew.

ez

Good stuff, pretty much exactly as I hoped it'd be. I liked it a lot better than Hurt Locker, and have now developed a slight infatuation with Mrs. Chastain.

8/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

boltthrow

Watch "Lawless" -- she's nude in it.