Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

ez

The Impossible 8/10

fucking devastating movie.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bitter

This take on the story of Snow White was pretty cool until about 1/2 way through. The acting wasn't bad (I was honestly surprised) and the characters were interesting. It was darker (tonewise) than I had anticipated but had a nice LoTR-esque vibe going. The dwarves had a Tolkien styling as opposed to the typical Disney approach. A huge treat were that the eldest dwarves were played by Ian McShane and Bob Hoskins. Seeing Hoskins always make me happy, especially in fantasy roles.

The movie was beautiful and nicely paced throughout the first half, but the entire mood shifted from that point. The LoTR styling, which was a benefit initially, became a detriment later on.  SPOILER!!!   They fucking montage-walked over a host of various epic environments, just like in the LoTR ???   /END SPOILER!!!. Anyhow, the latter portion kind of lost me and the ending was abrupt. Too much silly mid-battle dwarvin humor stole away the "seriousness" of the film.

In the end, I was really excited and impressed by the beginning and slightly disappointed by the 2nd half and ending. Would highly suggest this as a rental. 8.5/10
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

boltthrow

whoshotthefrog

A documentary about 2 lion prides and cheetah and her cubs and how they survive the African plains. Some really cool cinematography throughout the film.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

whoshotthefrog

I liked this movie a lot. It's about a struggling screenwriter who gets involved in a kidnapping sceme after friend kidnaps a gangster's dog. Some of the psychopaths the screenwriter encounters becomes part of the screenplay he is trying to finish. There are two psychopath storylines that I really enjoyed. One involved an Amish man who follows the killer of his daughter and a dynamite packing Buddhist.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

boltthrow

I liked some of it (and the way it came together) but it fell flat for me, mostly in casting.  Colin Farrell is neither a good actor nor good playing a blocked screenwriter (I just never believed he'd have that problem -- go be a movie star with your glorious hair instead!) and even though Sam Rockwell was supposed to be funny, I never laughed.

For McDoniugh-isms, I liked The Guard better.

boltthrow

Watched Gaspar Noe's first film last night, I Stand Alone.  Okay, not great.  It's been described as a French Taxi Driver.  Nowhere near as classic but very raw, very brutal.  Noe certainly ain't making rom-coms here. 

Also saw Skyjacked (1972) which was standard disaster movie fare but enjoyable.   Charlton Heston, Yvette Mimeux, Rosey Grier, Walter Pigeon, Susan Dey, Leslie Uggams -- and James Brolin as the crazed Vietnam vet hijacker.  You can't watch one of these without seeing all the "Airplane!" riffs in your head but still it was fun.  Weird pysch-out vision when Brolin is having his delusions.  And actual great footage shot of a 707 in flight.  No models, no mattes.     

boltthrow

Just watched In Bruges again.  What made it great is what ruined Seven Psychopaths.  Small, sweet, funny, the right size.  I'm not saying I could do better than 7.  You do a movie like Bruges and you probably think to outdo yourself you better amp it up for your next one.  More characters, more zaniness, more gunfights and violence.  But it just didn't work (for me anyway).

In Bruges though is a terrific fucking movie. 

retardgroove

Man on the Train (2002)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301414/

A solid 7 or 8. That was way better than the snore fest I prepared myself for.

Dunedin

It's probably been talked about on this thread already but I just watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on Friday there. The Rooney Mara version not the Swedish 2009 version. Holy shit, she's something else. The first film in ages where I've been glued to the screen from the opening titles.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

Demon Lung

Last night we saw taken 2 and that was ok. We saw Alex cross the night before last and it was just horrible. Tyler perry is making his way into serious acting and its just horrible. You are just waiting for madea to pop in.

boltthrow

I was less impressed with Dragon Tattoo as a movie (lots of it seemed like a pale imitation of Seven) but Rooney Mara was stupendous.  And by that I mean nice tits, honey.

bitter

Not really any surprises here. felt a little long, but good overall. Rentable 8/10
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

boltthrow

Watched "The Paperboy" -- Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron, Matthew McConaughey, John Cusick from the director of Precious and a book by Pete Dexter. 

Overheated drawlin' Southern trash with racism, getting innocent men out of jail, anal rape on McConaughey, alligators, gutting of alligators, mutual masturbation, lots of hate-fucking (but because Kidman is a star she doesn't actually get nude so it's kind of just play-acting) and yes Kidman pees on Efron when he gets a jellyfish sting (supposedly "shocking" but already done to better and comedic effect in Heartbreak Kid).   

Whatever, really.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: boltthrow on February 11, 2013, 08:23:43 AM
Watched "The Paperboy" -- Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron, Matthew McConaughey, John Cusick from the director of Precious and a book by Pete Dexter. 

Overheated drawlin' Southern trash with racism, getting innocent men out of jail, anal rape on McConaughey, alligators, gutting of alligators, mutual masturbation, lots of hate-fucking (but because Kidman is a star she doesn't actually get nude so it's kind of just play-acting) and yes Kidman pees on Efron when he gets a jellyfish sting (supposedly "shocking" but already done to better and comedic effect in Heartbreak Kid).   

Whatever, really.

I saw this movie a few weeks ago and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Total suckfest. The only scene worthwhile in the entire movie is when Nicole Kidman is masturbating while Efron, McConaughey, Cusack and someother guy is watching her.

mortlock

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on February 11, 2013, 12:06:29 PM
Quote from: boltthrow on February 11, 2013, 08:23:43 AM

Whatever, really.

I saw this movie a few weeks ago and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Total suckfest. The only scene worthwhile in the entire movie is when Nicole Kidman is masturbating while Efron, McConaughey, Cusack and someother guy is watching her.
that sounds like it could singlehandedly make the movie worth while to me..

boltthrow

Just so you know, Cusack is jerking off in his pants and it's in the middle of a prison meeting room and it's overall scuzzy. 

mortlock

i was more refering to nicole kidman masturbating..but thanks though. figures you'd think i was refering to the dude.

boltthrow

It's the same scene so it's kind difficult to ignore Cusack and only focus on Kidman.  Though she's so plasticized that she's pretty gross too.

jmucke

In the book its a very intense scene while in the movie it feels/looks forced, trying way too hard to be controversial.

natehusky

Seven psychopaths . It wasn't terrible. I don't think Sam Rockwell can do any wrong

agent of change

Quote from: natehusky on February 13, 2013, 12:04:45 PM
Seven psychopaths . It wasn't terrible. I don't think Sam Rockwell can do any wrong

You seen "Lawn Dogs"? Pretty good little indie flick, one of the first times I ever saw him on the screen. Seen it a few times now.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

natehusky

No I haven't , is it netflixable ?

whoshotthefrog

It's about a divorcing couple tries to maintain their friendship while they both pursue other people. Decent enough movie that I stayed awake throughout the entire film.