Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunedin

Top money saving tip. Don't waste £12 going to see Die Hard 5 at the cinema. Just give a 5 year old some toy trucks & get him to mash them together for a couple of hours.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

chille01

The new Die Hard truly is the worst of the bunch.  Didn't have many of the cool sarcastic lines that made McClane a good character.  Unless saying "I'm on fucking vacation" about 1000 times counts.

Watched Transiberian on Netflix tonight.  It was decent...  7 out of 10. The story took at least one turn I wasn't expecting from the Neflix synopsis.

boltthrow

Doomsday, the Rhona/Bob Hoskins/Sean Pertwee bullshit Escape From New York/Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome ripoff.  I always hate the "new society" kind of scenario where everyone has mohawks and fishnet shirts (Matrix 2 did the same thing). Rhona Mitra is cute but a terrible actress.  The music is terrible.  The sets are terrible.  I haven't seen where Neil Marshall can do action particularly well.  A real turd bomb.     

chille01

Centurion and Dog Soldiers were both decent I thought, and had plenty of action.

boltthrow

He does it okay but it's nothing special.  Multiple cameras, fast-cutting to cover up uninspired choreography.  I thought it would be more and better and worth it. 

Dunedin

Quote from: boltthrow on February 16, 2013, 08:33:48 PM
Doomsday, the Rhona/Bob Hoskins/Sean Pertwee bullshit Escape From New York/Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome ripoff.  I always hate the "new society" kind of scenario where everyone has mohawks and fishnet shirts (Matrix 2 did the same thing). Rhona Mitra is cute but a terrible actress.  The music is terrible.  The sets are terrible.  I haven't seen where Neil Marshall can do action particularly well.  A real turd bomb.     

I dunno Bolt. I'm pretty sure there is a hidden cybergoth in everyone just waiting for the decline of western civilisation.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

boltthrow

I want him out of me!!  *

* something L. Ron has never said.

natehusky

GodShifter

Checked out the movie "Compliance" last night on Netflix.

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Pretty uncomfortable at times, but seemed to follow the events of the 2004 incident in which it was inspired from pretty accurately. Also, some pretty good boob action from Dreama Walker, so there's that. Definitely a slow moving film, but it doesn't get boring or seem too one dimensional.

8/10

MichaelZodiac

Watched Sound City the other night, I liked it. It's made as a fan, either you like that or you don't.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

juggernaut

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on February 18, 2013, 07:10:05 AM
Watched Sound City the other night, I liked it. It's made as a fan, either you like that or you don't.

I dug it as well.

eoin_not_ian

Reign of Fire (2002):

Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey, Gerald Butler and the Bond woman from Goldeneye are leaders of the last humans on earth after giant dragons take over the world after being awoken from slumber by construction workers on the London Underground. Whoever pitched that plot to the film studio is either a genius, deranged or both.

Lumpy

Quote from: eoin_not_ian on February 18, 2013, 06:05:43 PM
Reign of Fire (2002):

Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey, Gerald Butler and the Bond woman from Goldeneye are leaders of the last humans on earth after giant dragons take over the world after being awoken from slumber by construction workers on the London Underground. Whoever pitched that plot to the film studio is either a genius, deranged or both.

Oh yeah, I saw that in the theater. The scenes where they skydive and try to get the dragons to chase them were awesome. But there weren't enough scenes like that. :(
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jmucke

I seriously liked this. Don't know the book but the movie was directed by the author who got it right it seems. Emma Watson would be on my shitlist for the rest of her career for being involved in this Potter-dreck but she's is great here. She might have a future as an actress. Rest of the cast is spot on too. Ezra Miller was scary in that Kevin-movie but shows a total different side here. The story starts like your typical coming-of-age-comedy-drama but actually has some depth and a good twist.

retardgroove

Quote from: jmucke on February 21, 2013, 01:34:38 PM

I seriously liked this. Don't know the book but the movie was directed by the author who got it right it seems. Emma Watson would be on my shitlist for the rest of her career for being involved in this Potter-dreck but she's is great here. She might have a future as an actress. Rest of the cast is spot on too. Ezra Miller was scary in that Kevin-movie but shows a total different side here. The story starts like your typical coming-of-age-comedy-drama but actually has some depth and a good twist.

Yep, Twas good.

bitter

This movie was based on the funny and classic 'time-traveling' want ad. It's got the girl from NBC's Parks and Rec and the guy from Fox's New Girl, who looks like baby Mark Ruffalo.

The premise of the movie is a Seattle magazine writer's obsession with reconnecting with a lost love under the guise of following up on a crazy want ad from the same area she lives in. He takes 2 interns along with, leaving them to do all the work. After tracking the man who created the ad down, Aubrey Plaza's character is the only one able to gain his trust. What follows is a friendship/relationship between the two as they plan their trip and obtain the devices necessary to build the time machine.

The movie is kind of all over the place, but quite sweet. Minus a couple hiccups that pulled me momentarily out of the story, I really enjoyed the film. It's available to watch online on netflix, and I would recommend it.

9/10
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

eoin_not_ian

Quote from: Lumpy on February 18, 2013, 06:36:12 PM
Quote from: eoin_not_ian on February 18, 2013, 06:05:43 PM
Reign of Fire (2002):

Oh yeah, I saw that in the theater. The scenes where they skydive and try to get the dragons to chase them were awesome. But there weren't enough scenes like that. :(

Yeah, there were a few ideas like that that made me think 'this is awesome'. They were then unfortunately followed up dull 'we are the last people on earth' post apocalyptic nonsense. Still, I mostly liked it.

bitter

Meh. This was really boring and pointless. I still don't see why Tim Burton is so popular? Every year, he puts out the same kinds of movies, with similar characters, same actors, and similar story plots. I guess people don't apply the concept of diminishing returns to Burton, but his movies seem to get worse and worse.

I really liked Paranorman, which was a far cuter movie and more enjoyable than this junk. I usually love these little animated movies, but not this one. As such, I don't recommend it.

4.5/10

bitter

I don't recall seeing any previews or the trailer for this film. I can't make heads or tails of it.

The premise is about Ben Stiller, who manages a suburban costco, where a security guard is killed during the night... by aliens. To play a more active role in his community, Stiller forms a neighborhood watch, not knowing there is an alien invasion in his community. Vince Vaughn is an abrasive construction manger looking to bond with new guy friends; the black guy is recently divorced and looking to bang housewives he can "rescues" from danger/criminals; and Jonah Hill is a reckless wannabe cop with emotional/psychological issues looking to go full-on authoritarian.

This movie is bananas. It's basically just one dick and cum joke after another, the entire time. Too crude, even for this crew. On some levels the movie worked, but on others, it was too ridiculous. Visually speaking, it looked great, but content-wise, it kept getting pulled from the main story to the absurd and back repeatedly. If I had to call it, I'd say slightly more rentable than not. :-[

7/10

agent of change

Quote from: GodShifter on February 17, 2013, 11:09:46 AM
Checked out the movie "Compliance" last night on Netflix.

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Pretty uncomfortable at times, but seemed to follow the events of the 2004 incident in which it was inspired from pretty accurately. Also, some pretty good boob action from Dreama Walker, so there's that. Definitely a slow moving film, but it doesn't get boring or seem too one dimensional.

8/10

Edit: Spoiler below. But it involves oral sex.

Just watched this tonight. Loved it. Especially the establishing(?) or cutaway(?) shots - fast food cups in dirty snow water, fryers frying, broken parking lot asphalt, etc. Did a little research on the background story, and apparently something like 30 calls were made like this. They finally found the guy and he was acquitted of all charges. The spanking and blowjob actually happened. Crazy shit, man. 9/10
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

jmucke

Weird shit with an awesome cast. Very cool.

Worthless Willie

I thought Frankenweenie was pretty darn good.

/sucker for Burton
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

bitter

It's probably just me then. Everyone else seems to digs it.

/biased

ez

Everyone else just digs a Burton movie devoid of Depp. I know I did.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Worthless Willie

I like all the ones with Depp, as well.

I just don't think there's much middle ground with Burton.  You either like his deal, or you don't.  Because, for the most part, it's a pretty specific deal.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith