Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmucke

Great movie. Maybe a couple of issues too much crammed into the story. But the acting and editing is impressive.

Piece of shit. Annoyingly unfunny (especially Carrey).

Malick lost me. While Tree Of Life was fascinating in its uncompromising way (Hell, I'll shoot a three-hour-movie without a real story-line or conventional dialogue and throw in the creation of the universe for good measure) this was just boring. Oh, the burden of life. And enough of this walking through fields of grass or grain while the wind is blowing.

Lumpy

1969 B&W film with young Rip Torn as a psychologist who is floundering. Lots of nudity, dark subject matter, I chuckled a few times too. Great film but not a fun ride, if you catch my drift. It's supposed to be filmed by Rip Torn (with a hidden camera in his living room) and it's kinda "diary" style with long scenes with no cuts. So there's a real rigid stylistic format to it, which makes it seem a little slow-paced and claustrophobic. 8.5/10

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Instant Dan

Looks like the reviews are true about Malick's new film being a parody of himself. :-\

Demon Lung

So we saw the hobbit and that was a very unrewarding movie. We also rented bachelorette and it was the dumbest piece of shit that I've ever seen. It didn't even have a story.

The Shocker

Quote from: Demon Lung on March 31, 2013, 12:36:02 PM
So we saw the hobbit and that was a very unrewarding movie. We also rented bachelorette and it was the dumbest piece of shit that I've ever seen. It didn't even have a story.

But it does have Lizzy Caplan. Yum.

The Shocker

ez

caught up on a bunch of movies over easter.

Nature Calls - 6/10
Life of Pi - 8/10
The Master - 9/10
Silver Linings Playbook - 9/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jmucke

Decent popcorn-blockbuster entertainment. Half the fun is counting all the movies it steals/quotes from - its a long list. Cruise is Cruise. If you hate him its probably unwatchable. If you don't care (like me) you hardly realize he's on the screen, he could be CGI. Some nice set pieces/ action sequences.

GodShifter

Quote from: The Shocker on April 01, 2013, 12:13:44 PM

Kinda dumb, but creepy.

"Sinister" had good potential, but was ruined by the end revealing too much. I think if things had remained a bit more ambiguous than the "this is who did it and why", it might have retained a bit more impact. The kids in the house doing their pantomime thing towards the end was not so much creepy as goofy (it wasn't done particularly well, in other words).

I read that the Boogie Man dude was based off a picture from a 500,000 Google search image (or something to that effect). Once a suitable image was selected, it was then given some subtle Black Metal stylings to create what you see in the movie.

I've seen worse movies though for sure.

boltthrow

Face In The Crowd -- great.

The Conversation -- great.

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? -- fantastic.

The Fourth Kind -- wretched.

The Bandit

Quote from: GodShifter on April 03, 2013, 12:29:01 PM
Quote from: The Shocker on April 01, 2013, 12:13:44 PM

Kinda dumb, but creepy.

"Sinister" had good potential, but was ruined by the end revealing too much. I think if things had remained a bit more ambiguous than the "this is who did it and why", it might have retained a bit more impact. The kids in the house doing their pantomime thing towards the end was not so much creepy as goofy (it wasn't done particularly well, in other words).

I read that the Boogie Man dude was based off a picture from a 500,000 Google search image (or something to that effect). Once a suitable image was selected, it was then given some subtle Black Metal stylings to create what you see in the movie.

I've seen worse movies though for sure.

He was called Mr. Boogie, which is even dumber.  The 8mm movies were creepy as hell, the rest was the dumb part.

The Bandit

Quote from: boltthrow on April 08, 2013, 10:44:45 AM
Face In The Crowd -- great.

The Conversation -- great.

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? -- fantastic.

The Fourth Kind -- wretched.

Love The Conversation.  70's conspiracy movies were so cool.  Three Days of the Condor & The Parallax View are my faves.

deleted account

how crazy is it that Coppola did Godfather, The Conversation, and Godfather II

IN A ROW

The Shocker

Saw it after work, only person in theater. It was open caption day, which didn't bother me - that's how I watch shit at home.
On to my review: meh.

boltthrow

Quote from: priest on April 08, 2013, 07:51:47 PM

IN A ROW

Coppola's career descent mystifies almost as much as Friedkin's.

jmucke

First the most important thing: Rosario Dawson does a full frontal (and that even has something to do with the plot). The rest of the movie is entertaining although it feels like a variation of "Inception". And since its obvious from the beginning that nothing is what it seems the whole twist-upon-twist-routine gets a little old.

The Bandit

You had me at Rosario does a full frontal.

boltthrow

La Haine -- exciting filmmaking, pretty good story, "shocking" when it came out, especially because Jodie Foster became a champion of it.  Worth a look.

Holy Rollers -- Jesse Eisenberg as a Hassid Ecstasty smuggler.  Okay but fairly predictable. 

MichaelZodiac

I saw La Haine in French class when I was 16. Did anyone ever see C'est arrivé pres de chez vous? Also known as Man Bites Dog in English. That one will knock you of your feet.

Hadn't seen this one since it came out and I went with the girl next door to the movies. It held up better than I would have expected.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

jmucke

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on April 11, 2013, 07:03:13 AM
Did anyone ever see C'est arrivé pres de chez vous? Also known as Man Bites Dog in English.

That movie is awesome. Saw it in an almost sold-out cinema full of liberal-arts-students (its b/w and in French with subtitles, you know). After 10 minutes people started to walk out and after the rape-scene two thirds of the audience was gone. That we were high, drinking beer and rolling on the floor laughing didn't went down that well either. Lots of disgusted look.

lowdaddy

Quote from: boltthrow on April 08, 2013, 09:32:29 PM
Quote from: priest on April 08, 2013, 07:51:47 PM

IN A ROW

Coppola's career descent mystifies almost as much as Friedkin's.

you didn't like bug?
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

boltthrow

It was okay but he should've been making great movies for the previous three decades

lowdaddy

ima watch killer joe in a bit.

unrelated to friedkin - i watched an austrian movie called revanche (revenge) recently.  really good stuff.  psychological tragedy.  slow paced but so good it just draws you in.  i kept waiting for the shoe to drop in the second half of the movie....

highly recommended.

and there's a ukrainian actress in it.  i forget her name.  gorgeous.  unbelievably gorgeous.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

The Bandit

Wife and I liked Killer Joe.  Nice and trashy.

ez

You'd think art students would know that Man Bites Dog is satire at its finest.

Anyhow, last night I watched Creature From The Black Lagoon for the first time ever, at home, in 3D, stoned off my gourd and slightly drunk. 10/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?