Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retardgroove

meh.

lowdaddy

we saw this a couple of nights ago.  so goddamned bad it's good.  really.  you'll laugh.  you'll cry.  and in the last twenty minutes you'll do both things at once while giving your friends awe struck looks.  horribly bad/awesome.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Andrew Blakk

Saw Silver lining playbook the other night. Not bad at all... :)

retardgroove

Went in expecting the worst and was surprisingly kept entertained. 

retardgroove

Quote from: lowdaddy on April 29, 2013, 10:45:39 PM
we saw this a couple of nights ago.  so goddamned bad it's good.  really.  you'll laugh.  you'll cry.  and in the last twenty minutes you'll do both things at once while giving your friends awe struck looks.  horribly bad/awesome.

I guess the more I think about it the more I'm warming up to it. Some real nice shots, dumb acting, seemed to drag, but I now want to watch it again for some reason?

MichaelZodiac

Worth seeing just for the photography, Anna Karina & Marianne Faithfull singing. I could complain about the lack of narrative but Anna Karina in a '60 skirt makes up for a lot of things.

Gene Hackman with a tremendous mustache in a movie that stays interesting until the very end. Young Melanie Griffith's titties are also a plus.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

retardgroove

This movie will make your head turn and cringe more than any horror movie in the last 3 years.

jmucke

Funniest movie I saw in a while. Highly recommended.

jmucke

Another good one. Imagine the impressive parts of Tree Of Life (the kids) in a modern version of Huck Finn. McConaughey in one of his better roles.

Demon Lung

Just took the lady to see the new evil dead. It wasn't half bad. One of the better Hollywood horror flicks that I've seen in the past few years.

The Bandit

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on May 08, 2013, 09:09:46 AM

Gene Hackman with a tremendous mustache in a movie that stays interesting until the very end. Young Melanie Griffith's titties are also a plus.

Got this from Netflix the other day, will try to watch it soon.

Dylan Thomas

I've been too exhausted to read some nights, so I've watched a couple movies lately.  Here's some thoughts.

John Dies At The End

Not bad at all, not great either.  Definitely not on the same level as Phantasm or Phantasm II.  It has that same surreal incoherence and just keeps getting stranger and stranger, however, it was almost a bit forced by the time I got to the ending.  I'd still give it a 3 out of 5, it's entertaining and fucked with my mind a bit even if it made very little sense whatsoever.

Cabin In The Woods

Not bad either, and also not great.  A cool spin on a tired genre, that's for sure.  Entertaining, but could have stood to fuck with my mind a bit more. 3 out of 5.

The Penitent Man

Eh, certainly not great.  I'm usually okay with lo budget time travel movies if they're cerebral enough.  Lance Henriksen fails to save this one from its own melodrama.  Seriously, too much melodramatic monolog accompanied by melodramatic music for me.  Not terrible, but I fell asleep for a good portion of the middle and don't feel like I missed anything, nor am I going to watch that part over again. 2 out of 5.

Earthling

Interesting concept, terrible execution.  Seriously, this movie is awful. For me, there are movies where a self conscious lack of coherence only adds to their charm and makes them endearing.  This is not one of those movies.  There are also movies that I find so shockingly awful that somehow cross over into being totally amazing.  This is not one of those movies either, this was just awful and incoherent.  The worst part is that it drags on, and on, and on...and for some stupid reason, I just kept watching. I think that was because some people online have been comparing it to Solaris, 2001, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Scanners, etc, so I kept thinking at some point it was going to get awesome.  Never happened, and for me those comparisons are so out of touch with what I watched. 1 out of 5.

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

MadJohnShaft

Netflix has 100's of indie comedy dramas these days.

Anyone with a hot chick in it is good.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

retardgroove

Quote from: retardgroove on May 01, 2013, 03:46:10 PM
Quote from: lowdaddy on April 29, 2013, 10:45:39 PM
we saw this a couple of nights ago.  so goddamned bad it's good.  really.  you'll laugh.  you'll cry.  and in the last twenty minutes you'll do both things at once while giving your friends awe struck looks.  horribly bad/awesome.

I guess the more I think about it the more I'm warming up to it. Some real nice shots, dumb acting, seemed to drag, but I now want to watch it again for some reason?

MichaelZodiac

I hadn't seen this before and corrected that when I saw a local movie theatre was playing this. I love movies about augmented reality so this was straight up my alley.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

CanookieWookie

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on May 15, 2013, 09:15:25 AM

I hadn't seen this before and corrected that when I saw a local movie theatre was playing this. I love movies about augmented reality so this was straight up my alley.

A favorite of mine. I'm a big Cronenberg fan.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

The Bandit

So am I.  Scanners is my sentimental favorite - first of his movies I ever saw when I was young and impressionable. 

MadJohnShaft

This was so bad as to be almost unwatchable...

Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Bandit

But didn't you suspect that before you watched it?  Was it unintentionally funny?

retardgroove

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 17, 2013, 01:06:34 PM

Yep, It was pretty awful. 

retardgroove

7 beers up. Ray Liotta plays a mobster.

lowdaddy

Quote from: retardgroove on May 17, 2013, 05:33:37 PM

7 beers up. Ray Liotta plays a mobster.

i'm looking forward to seeing this.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

ez

A Good Day To Die Hard  2/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

strangelight

Quote from: retardgroove on May 17, 2013, 04:50:38 PM
Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 17, 2013, 01:06:34 PM

Yep, It was pretty awful. 

even with werner herzog in it?