Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltthrow

Movies that have really stayed with me over the years.

1.  Jaws (this changed my life.  Saw it 22 times in the theater.  Only once in the subsequent 37+ years did I wonder if I didn't want to be in business -- only really because I couldn't find work at the time).   

in no particular order...

2.  Road Warrior
3.  City of Lost Children
4.  The Big Blue
5.  Oldboy
6.  Close Encounters
7.  Dawn of the Dead
8.  Planet of the Apes
9.  Once Were Warriors
10.  Field of Dreams
11.  Rock N' Roll High School
12.  recently -- Irreversible blew me away

and a million more.

GodShifter

"Once We Were Warriors" is an awesome movie. "Irreversible" was a tough, tough watch.

I like your reviews, bolt, but let's be honest: you're a schlock drameh TV writer. How close have you ever came to actually getting to direct anything (like, say, a movie)? If you did get an offer, do you think you could pull it off?

boltthrow

It took me a couple tries to get through Irreversible.  It had just been a long time since a movie affected me viscerally like the first twenty minutes of that movie.  That swooping camera, the soundtrack, the descent into the club, the not knowing where the movie was going.  These days it's so rare to have no preconceptions of where something is headed.  I remember back when I was growing up, for things like Chainsaw and even Halloween, you didn't really know who the filmmakers were and so you kinda wondered what their motives were, how much this movie was "real."  Of course none of it was but it felt much more "dangerous" to watch something back then and that's how Irreversible threw me for a loop. 

I have never gotten near directing a movie, only sold a few, none got made.  Still, I believe my shlockiness speaks for itself. 

The Bandit

Jaws is my wife's favorite movie.

My all times:

1. Road Warrior
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
4. The Shining
5. Barry Lyndon

lowdaddy

Quote from: boltthrow on June 17, 2013, 11:06:43 AM

1.  Jaws (this changed my life.  Saw it 22 times in the theater.  Only once in the subsequent 37+ years did I wonder if I didn't want to be in business -- only really because I couldn't find work at the time).   

2.  Road Warrior
3.  City of Lost Children
4.  The Big Blue
5.  Oldboy
6.  Close Encounters
7.  Dawn of the Dead
8.  Planet of the Apes
9.  Once Were Warriors
10.  Field of Dreams
11.  Rock N' Roll High School
12.  recently -- Irreversible blew me away

and a million more.

i prefer i saw the devil to oldboy.  it's probably my favorite movie that i've seen in recent years.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

boltthrow

Because you are faggotized mud mechanic.

retardgroove

gritty_fingers

Quote from: boltthrow on June 17, 2013, 11:06:43 AM

1.  Jaws (this changed my life.  Saw it 22 times in the theater.  Only once in the subsequent 37+ years did I wonder if I didn't want to be in business -- only really because I couldn't find work at the time).  

2.  Road Warrior
3.  City of Lost Children
4.  The Big Blue
5.  Oldboy
6.  Close Encounters
7.  Dawn of the Dead
8.  Planet of the Apes
9.  Once Were Warriors
10.  Field of Dreams
11.  Rock N' Roll High School
12.  recently -- Irreversible blew me away

and a million more.

That's a decent list.

Here is mine in paticular order:

1. Fellini's 8 and a half
2. Throne of Blood
3. Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow up (not to be confused with the Travolta movie 'Blow Out')
4. Once were Warriors (I agree with Bolt on this one)
5. Wild Bunch
6. Horror of Dracula (I watched this a lot when I was a kid)
7. Star Wars
8. African Queen
9. Raiders of the Lost Ark
10. Chinatown
11. Stepford Wives (No I didn't know the big secret at the time)
"Ginger People"

lowdaddy

Quote from: boltthrow on June 18, 2013, 04:50:47 AM

this hardly seems valid.  i'm almost certain that i'm not. 

how could you not love i saw the devil?

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: lowdaddy on June 18, 2013, 09:40:27 PM
Quote from: boltthrow on June 18, 2013, 04:50:47 AM

this hardly seems valid.  i'm almost certain that i'm not. 

how could you not love i saw the devil?

Have you checked out Lady Vengeance and Sympathy For Mr. Venegeance ?
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

boltthrow

I liked Saw The Devil a lot, don't get me wrong.

And yes, loved Sympathy, liked Lady.

The Bandit

I'd rank those 3 in the following order:

1. Lady Vengeance
2. I Saw The Devil
3. Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance

lowdaddy

i've seen sympathy for mr. vengeance and it was just sorta meh.  lady vengeance i watched like ten minutes of once.  i'll give it a look soon.  but i can't see how anything is gonna top i saw the devil.  that movie has everything.

The Bandit

Quote from: lowdaddy on June 20, 2013, 02:35:07 PM
i've seen sympathy for mr. vengeance and it was just sorta meh.  lady vengeance i watched like ten minutes of once.  i'll give it a look soon.  but i can't see how anything is gonna top i saw the devil.  that movie has everything.

Mr Vengeance was meh for me too.  Lady Vengeance is one of the most beautifully filmed movies ever.  I was also really into the story - to me it was all about regret and forgiveness, which is something that appeals to me personally.
I really liked I Saw The Devil, but if it had been half an hour shorter I would have LOVED it.  I just found that it dragged in spots and could have been tightened up.

ez

Hatchet III - not as good as the first two, but still very enjoyable 6.5/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

frobbert

Beasts Of The Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin, 2012) - The Oscars actually had it right by nominating this.

Shy People (Andrey Konchalovskiy, 1987) - Really strong bayou drama about a hotshot New York reporter visiting her somewhat backward family (led by Barbara Hershey in a great role) living in the Louisana swamps. An unjustly forgotten little gem. Makes the roughly comparable Winter's Bone look like a Disney flick.

Begotten (E. Elias Merhige, 1990) - Couldn't make it to the end the first time through. You have to be in the mood for this. What can I say? Terms like 'good' or 'bad' do not apply here. Let's just call it fucked up but interesting.

Buddy Boy (Mark Hanlon, 1999) - This little Repulsion-wannabe sure takes its time to pick up steam but when it does it doesn't let off. Really liked it. With a great role for the incomparable Susan Tyrrell.
bite me

frobbert

Vacation is movie geek time

American Perfekt (Paul Chart, 1997) - One of those movies that can't decide what it wants to be. Robert Forster plays an obsessive-compulsive psychiatrist/psychopath who makes all his decisions in life by flipping a coin. Plays like a pretty suspenseful and grim serial killer thriller for the most part, but in the final hour it suddenly seems to turn into a comedy of sorts. Hey, any movie that features Fairuza Balk and Amanda Plummer in supporting roles is at least interesting, but it would have been a lot better without the funny stuff.

Bellflower (Evan Glodell, 2011) - This on the other hand didn't start out all that promising. It's about two annoying Jackass-type geeks who have built their own elaborate post-apocalyptic fantasy world based on Mad Max, building their own flamethrowers and customized cars and shit. But in the second half it gets really dark and twisted. Horrifying even. And sad. I liked it, but definitely not a feelgood movie.
bite me

retardgroove

Think Ocean's Eleven with magic. Even though I really didn't like Ocean's Eleven, I liked this somewhat better.

Lumpy

Quote from: frobbert on June 24, 2013, 08:53:35 PM
Bellflower (Evan Glodell, 2011) - This on the other hand didn't start out all that promising. It's about two annoying Jackass-type geeks who have built their own elaborate post-apocalyptic fantasy world based on Mad Max, building their own flamethrowers and customized cars and shit. But in the second half it gets really dark and twisted. Horrifying even. And sad. I liked it, but definitely not a feelgood movie.

I loved Bellflower. One review said it was about the "raging id of adolescent males" and I'm not even sure what that means exactly, but it put me in the proper frame of mind to watch it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on June 25, 2013, 06:37:07 PM
Quote from: frobbert on June 24, 2013, 08:53:35 PM

I loved Bellflower. One review said it was about the "raging id of adolescent males" and I'm not even sure what that means exactly, but it put me in the proper frame of mind to watch it.

Had some good female nudity.

whoshotthefrog

If you've seen one Arnold movie, you've seen them all.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

whoshotthefrog

MadJohnShaft

I'd do the girl and Jeremy so I want to watch that

We saw Z last night - it's a solid B

Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Shocker

Just watched Flight.  What a crock of shit.  The Mexican chick naked at the beginning was hot though.

mortlock

naked Mexican chicks always are..