Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

I loved Meatballs.

The theme song was awesome.

boltthrow

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of Priest being insane.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: retardgroove on July 09, 2013, 10:14:16 PM

Another enjoyable Harmony Korine flick, if you enjoy Harmony Korine flicks.

At various points throughout this movie I thought I was watching a Girls Gone Wild video.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

boltthrow

GGW videos are masterpieces of narrative cohesion compared to that piece of crap.

retardgroove

Quote from: boltthrow on July 14, 2013, 10:23:37 AM
GGW videos are masterpieces of narrative cohesion compared to that piece of crap.

Not a Harmony Korine fan.

The Shocker

I was really expecting to Spring Breakers more, considering the subject matter & the positive reviews.  Partially redeemed by the random shots of titties throughout the movie.

black

This was really enjoyable.

and this one, which was fucking great.

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

retardgroove

Quote from: black on July 15, 2013, 06:47:43 PM
This was really enjoyable.

The Lee Ving part made me sad when I saw how much he has aged.

The Shocker

Fun.

Edit: Dumb fun.

ez

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

boltthrow

Fucking terrible movie.

RZA does not know how to direct.

boltthrow

Okay movie.  Hard not to be moved by the emotions and astonished by the devastation but the wind up at the beginning is a little stilted (was Ewan McGregor always a bad actor?) and the rest of the movie is just pure survival/reunion without much else.  Naomi's boobs are seen a couple times but it's the in the completely unsexy context of tsunami disaster.

The Bandit

Quote from: boltthrow on July 18, 2013, 08:30:20 AM
Fucking terrible movie.

RZA does not know how to direct.

I guess it depends on your mindset.  To me it seemed like a faithful homage to the grindhouse Kung Fu movies.  Not the good Shaw brother ones...

boltthrow

Well, that's true.  I have an affection for old kung fu movies but it's not like they're actually good as movies. 

Like, did you ever really care about the characters or the dilemmas or anything?

I just liked the fights. 

Hell, I like Game Of Death, Bruce Lee's post-death cobbled-together piece of shit just because I have affection for the fights.

That said, Quentin T makes homages to old crap movies and somehow wrings real stuff out of them.  RZA didn't seem to have the foggiest how to even assemble a series of scenes that worked.  Starting with casting himself and trying to mix in hip hop songs which never worked.

The Bandit

My biggest disappointment was the lack of nudity when half the movie takes place in a brothel.

Then again my favorite kung fu movies are Master of the Flying Guillotine and Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky, so actual competent direction is not that important to me.

ez

Quote from: boltthrow on July 18, 2013, 09:22:13 AM
RZA didn't seem to have the foggiest how to even assemble a series of scenes that worked.  Starting with casting himself and trying to mix in hip hop songs which never worked.

This, totally. And I have a high threshold for shitty movies.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Demon Lung

I thought that the hiphop songs were so ridiculous that they fit perfectly with the movie.

boltthrow

Unbelievably charming, funny film. 

retardgroove

boltthrow

lowdaddy

Quote from: retardgroove on July 19, 2013, 06:31:18 PM

Ruled.

just came back from this.  my roommate loved it.  she was covering her face with her hands and peaking thru her fingers half the time.  im glad she had fun and i had fun cuz she had fun.  the movie is a cheesy piece of shit though.  throwback american 70s style horror.  that ripped off a lot of 70s horror movies.  no blood.  just demons and stupid christian horror.  which isn't scary at all.  i laughed a number of times though.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

retardgroove

Quote from: lowdaddy on July 19, 2013, 11:09:19 PM
Quote from: retardgroove on July 19, 2013, 06:31:18 PM

Ruled.

just came back from this.  my roommate loved it.  she was covering her face with her hands and peaking thru her fingers half the time.  im glad she had fun and i had fun cuz she had fun.  the movie is a cheesy piece of shit though.  throwback american 70s style horror.  that ripped off a lot of 70s horror movies.  no blood.  just demons and stupid christian horror.  which isn't scary at all.  i laughed a number of times though.

This part was meh,

but the rest was great fun. The audience reaction made it even better.

boltthrow

**SPOILERS!**

Creepy and scary, especially in a packed theater with good sound.  There was indeed blood when she vomited it under the sheet and then to get the demon out of her.  

And the backstory parts of it were creaky, especially the easy breezy way Patrick W and Vera F talked about it (oh it's the ol' satan and with thing, okay!).  Their "we'll help each other!" love story part was dumb.  The actual narrative dynamics of who got possessed/who had a ghost friend/why did it go back to the Warrens' kid stuff was dumb toowhen you think about it.

And there was a fucking typo in the chyron when they first showed the Warrens' house!!!  (it said Warren's House, not Warrens' House).

That said, lots of chills and thrills.

And the middle girl with the glasses was in my last SVU!