Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Quote from: priest on July 11, 2013, 03:01:36 AM
All The President's Men.  kinda meh

Tell me there's some sort of remake you are referring to....
Some days chickens, some days feathers

boltthrow

Between that and his hatred for Nightshift, I'm thinking he's gone nuts.

ez

Pacific Rim  8/10

Go see this on as large a screen as possible.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

deleted account

you have nothing in defense for Night Shit, so we'll just leave it at that.

ATPM was just too by-the-numbers.  after a while it was just:  oh look, they're interviewing another person who's hesitant about talking to them.  and just when it looked as if it was gonna get suspenseful with the discovery of bugging their phones/ apartments and the talk of "your lives could be in danger", they end the fucking movie and give you a wrap-up with the scrolling typewriter shit.  too safe.

it was just ok.  sure as hell wasn't no Klute

boltthrow

lowdaddy

Quote from: boltthrow on July 21, 2013, 08:37:48 AM
**SPOILERS!**

Creepy and scary, especially in a packed theater with good sound.  There was indeed blood when she vomited it under the sheet and then to get the demon out of her.  

And the backstory parts of it were creaky, especially the easy breezy way Patrick W and Vera F talked about it (oh it's the ol' satan and with thing, okay!).  Their "we'll help each other!" love story part was dumb.  The actual narrative dynamics of who got possessed/who had a ghost friend/why did it go back to the Warrens' kid stuff was dumb toowhen you think about it.

And there was a fucking typo in the chyron when they first showed the Warrens' house!!!  (it said Warren's House, not Warrens' House).

That said, lots of chills and thrills.

And the middle girl with the glasses was in my last SVU!  

NOT creepy.  NOT scary.  hackneyed boring-ass retread american horror.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

boltthrow

The Bandit

Is it better, worse or the same as Insidious?  I thought that movie started out ok, but took a turn for shit midway through.

lowdaddy

never saw insidious.  just watched the cabin in the woods last nite.  more bullshit.  WHERE IS THE GOOD FUCKING HORROR?
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

retardgroove

Quote from: The Bandit on July 23, 2013, 09:23:16 AM
Is it better, worse or the same as Insidious?  I thought that movie started out ok, but took a turn for shit midway through.

It's better.

Quote from: lowdaddy on July 23, 2013, 03:27:15 PM
never saw insidious.  just watched the cabin in the woods last nite.  more bullshit.  WHERE IS THE GOOD FUCKING HORROR?

The Cabin in the Woods ruled.

ez

yeah Cabin In The Woods was fine.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

deleted account

What We Do Is Secret.

shoulda called it:

What We Shot Is Stupid

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

The Bandit

Did that have Emille Hirsh playing Darby Crash? Yeah that movie blew.

I watched the remake of Mother's Day.

Instead of being a demented slasher/revenge pic, this one was a routine home invasion movie.  Not recommended.

deleted account

Shane West.  he was ok, it was just the shit they had him doing/ saying.  yawnfest.  and what was the point of that ambiguously gay creepy junkie friend of his that wanted to be the drummer?  dead-end plotline from hell

boltthrow

Keith Bergman was in a movie?!

frobbert

Quote from: lowdaddy on July 23, 2013, 03:27:15 PM
Cabin... could have been better but wasn't all that bad I think. For an American movie anyway.

The good fucking horror is being made in Europe and Asia.
bite me

Demon Lung

Quote from: frobbert on July 24, 2013, 05:55:29 PM
Quote from: lowdaddy on July 23, 2013, 03:27:15 PMnever saw insidious.  just watched the cabin in the woods last nite.  more bullshit.  WHERE IS THE GOOD FUCKING HORROR?

The good fucking horror is being made in Europe and Asia.
yes, you remind us everytime a horror movie is talked about. I on the other hand am reluctant to include Europe. Europe has a thing for shock movies. Classic horror movies to me deal with zombies, ghost, vampires,and shit like that. Not some guy that kidnaps people and sews their mouths to other people's assholes. That isn't anything but shock. Now if you want a creepy ghost story then watch an Asian horror film. They know how it's done.

frobbert

I wasn't talking about that Human Centipede crap. I was talking about movies like Let The Right One In, Troll Hunter, Kill List, Livide, Calvaire, [Rec], Ils, the Devil's Backbone, Naboer, Det Okända and.... well, the list is pretty much endless. I'm sorry you are offended by me constantly reminding you of the incredible suckage that is the modern American horror movie. Maybe it's all those unneccesary remakes..  ;)
bite me

Demon Lung

Try and rag on me all that you want but I'm just not a fan of the horror genre.  Frobbert you are good peeps man. One of the top notch posters in this forum. But you kind of have an elitist attitude when it comes to horror movies. To say that a movie that you haven't seen sucks because is a remake when everyone around you is telling you how suprisingly good it is. Now that's jut plain silly. Yeah Americans know that we don't make good horror films. That's why we try to remake all of the good Asian ones. One of those shock movies that people always talk about that is an excellent movie is martyrs. But It isn't horror.

The Bandit

Going to see the Conjuring after work with KT.  She's fucking creaming her jeans to go see it, I'm fairly neutral.  Still. it's earning wife points for when I want to go see something.  Most likely Elysium.

frobbert

Quote from: Demon Lung on July 25, 2013, 06:33:43 AM
Try and rag on me all that you want but I'm just not a fan of the horror genre.
So what's the problem then? Go bother yourself with a genre you do care about  ::)
Frobbert you are good peeps man. One of the top notch posters in this forum. But you kind of have an elitist attitude when it comes to horror movies.
Well thank you, much obliged  ;D And I'm not denying having an elitist attitude when it comes to horror. In my opinion when horror is good it can genuinely approach art (Repulsion, The original TCM, Romero's Dead-trilogy, Lynch, Argento, Cronenberg, the writings of Peter Straub and Shirley Jackson... to name but a few) and I genuinely loathe the fastfood approach of most current American horror. I always had that attitude. I never liked slasher movies too for instance.
To say that a movie that you haven't seen sucks because is a remake when everyone around you is telling you how suprisingly good it is. Now that's jut plain silly.
I didn't say it sucked. I said I have no interest in seeing it. Why would I with so many more interesting movies to check out? Life is short, Lungie-dear  ;)
Yeah Americans know that we don't make good horror films.
Good  ;D
That's why we try to remake all of the good Asian ones.
>:(
One of those shock movies that people always talk about that is an excellent movie is martyrs. But It isn't horror.
Why? Because it doesn't have (and I quote) "zombies, ghosts, vampires, shit like that"? Who's being elitist now?  :P
bite me

The Shocker

The Conjuring was an very good to excellent haunting/demonic possession movie, but that is not my favorite type of horror movie - actually it is probably my least favorite.  It had scares (mostly jump scares), but was totally predictable.  The relationship stuff between Vera Farmiga & Patrick Wilson was pretty cheesy at times. 

B-

The wife liked it a lot more than I did, but she likes ghosts/hauntings/etc.
She gave it an A-

boltthrow

Yeah the "God put us together and I'm not gonna let you go!" stuff was unneeded.

I found the scares not to be jump scares, more like full body chills caused by the sound.

The Shocker

I had problems with the sound. Too loud and overbearing.  I would have liked it without the sound effects telegraphing the scares.