Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retardgroove

Watched both Vol. 1&2 and really dug it. I still think Shia LaBeouf is a douche.

JkFlesh

Quote from: RAGER on March 10, 2014, 11:05:34 PM
I think he actually did. I think it was symbolic heaven shit which was the only thing I didn't like about the movie. So in short, I agree.  ;)

I agree that he probably died, it's just that, in a moment of oxygen-deprived delerium before death, he found a moment of peace.

All Is Lost is a harrowing film, I didn't expect it to be quite so stark and harsh.  It was awesome.

GodShifter

"All Is Lost" was great. I've thought a lot about it since I've watched it.

Some of the reviews I've read about it on IMDB though are scathing of "Our Man"'s sailor skills. Perhaps it should have been named "The Peril and Demise of the Dumb Sailor" instead.

RAGER

We discussed his little soliloquy in the beginning and were trying to tie in his character to that.  One of the scenarios we came up with was that he was a rich entitled yacht clubber who'd sailed extensively through out his life so was therefore very smug and couldn't possibly entertain the idea of this actually happening to him until it was too late hence his lackadaisical approach to rationing and general survival.
No Focus Pocus

GodShifter

Quote from: RAGER on March 13, 2014, 01:58:39 PM
We discussed his little soliloquy in the beginning and were trying to tie in his character to that.  One of the scenarios we came up with was that he was a rich entitled yacht clubber who'd sailed extensively through out his life so was therefore very smug and couldn't possibly entertain the idea of this actually happening to him until it was too late hence his lackadaisical approach to rationing and general survival.

Aplooded for insight.

deleted account

13 Going On 30.  pleasantly surprised.  bought it for $2 in the shitty DVD bin.  got it for Judy Greer cuz I have a thing for her.  Jennifer Garner is good and pretty damn hot too.  basically, they turned Big into a chick flick.  DVD extras shocker:  they show pix of the stars when they were kids, and Judy Greer looks like she should've been the star of It's Pat!  she's got to be the ugliest duckling of all times

poppus

Quote from: RAGER on March 12, 2014, 12:07:16 PM
But as good/bad as Bad Taste?

BAD MILO isn't quite as insane as I remember BAD TASTE being.  It's sort of like BASKET CASE meets OFFICE SPACE. Great cast too.

boltthrow

deleted account

ez

caught up on some viewing this weekend:

American Hustle - 8/10
Anchor Man 2 - 6.5/10
Blackfish - 9/10
Knights Of Badassdom - 7/10
Wolf Of Wall Street - 8/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

mortlock

deleted account

it's busted in all the right places

peoplething

Quote from: GodShifter on March 13, 2014, 05:05:04 PM
Quote from: RAGER on March 13, 2014, 01:58:39 PM
We discussed his little soliloquy in the beginning and were trying to tie in his character to that.  One of the scenarios we came up with was that he was a rich entitled yacht clubber who'd sailed extensively through out his life so was therefore very smug and couldn't possibly entertain the idea of this actually happening to him until it was too late hence his lackadaisical approach to rationing and general survival.

Aplooded for insight.

my folks saw it and liked it. I haven't seen it but they mentioned his laze-afair attitude toward sailing and drowning and stuff. my pops mentioned early on he got hit in the head with something (tool box, yard arm?), and so chalked up his shitty sailor skills to a severe concussion.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

astroman

Saw about 10 or 11 films at SXSW last week. Some were badass and all were worthwhile.

Richard Linklater's new film Boyhood was the cream of the crop. Shot over 12 years with the same cast, 3 days each year. Basically a simple story about a boy growing up. But seeing him and his family age and mature right before your eyes makes it truly epic and one of a kind, not to mention totally engrossing. Almost 3 hours long and it feels short. Of course, Linklater always does an amazing job of portraying the human experience, but he knocked this one even farther out of the park than usual. Truly a master.
http://www.movieweb.com/movie/boyhood/trailer

The Raid 2: Berandal kicks some serious ass. Superior to the first in all ways. Great bad guys, great camera work, and there is actually a decent story. Oh and there are a couple of badass action sequences   ::)

The Guest is the new one from the writer and director of You're Next. I actually did not really like You're Next, but I liked enough about it to check out The Guest. I ended up watching it again a couple of days later because I liked it so much.  Great 80's feel, due in large part to the score, even though it is set in the present.

The Infinite Man was kinda like a romantic comedy version of Primer. Pretty damn good actually.

Buzzard is the last of my favorites. It's about a slacker/scammer and his downward spiral. And it's fuckin hilarious.

ez

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

deleted account

Broken Flowers.  great movie, killer soundtrack, including a few seconds of Sleep

jmucke

JkFlesh

Quote from: jmucke on March 30, 2014, 01:32:03 PM
Quote from: ez on March 29, 2014, 05:14:59 PM
Snowpiercer  10/10

fuck.

Fuck indeed. Awesome movie.

I'm very jealous.  I'm absolutely dying to see it.

MadJohnShaft

Wolf of Wall Street

My wife's cousin, the suspect Scientololgist you remember, used to work on the trading floor in Chicago in the 90s. He was one of those obnoxious club drug master of the universe pricks like this. Yuck.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Lumpy

Marc Maron - Thinky Pain. Stand-up set. 14 LOL's, 36 giggles and 12 smirks. I liked it a lot. B-plus or A-minus

The Notorious Bettie Page. Good (not great). I enjoyed it. Gretchen Mol does a great job portraying Bettie, if you catch my drift. Interesting insight as far as Betty's fun-loving expressions in her pictorials. B or maybe B-minus.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

CanookieWookie

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 31, 2014, 01:53:18 PM
Wolf of Wall Street

My wife's cousin, the suspect Scientololgist you remember, used to work on the trading floor in Chicago in the 90s. He was one of those obnoxious club drug master of the universe pricks like this. Yuck.

A boring predictable way too long movie.

CanookieWookie

Quote from: jmucke on March 30, 2014, 01:32:03 PM
Quote from: ez on March 29, 2014, 05:14:59 PM
Snowpiercer  10/10

fuck.

Fuck indeed. Awesome movie.

I've been on the fence about this, but by your reaction(s), I'll give it a go.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

mortlock

the new capt America was pretty good. as far as marvel movies go..