Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent of change

Noah was a funny mix of silly and epic. Interesting moral questions. Kind of hamhanded. Some cool effects.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

mortlock

diasdegalvan

Bernie on Netflix. Great performances by Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey. File under dark comedy.

Lumpy

Blood in the Face, 1991 documentary about the modern klan and neo-nazi movement in America. Don Black (pre-Stormfront) and some other dumköpfs are in it. Kind of weird... The movie seems to be holding them up for ridicule, but in hindsight those people haven't gone away (hate groups on the rise since Obama was elected, the militia movement is probably stronger than ever) which is actually not so cute. Michael Moore does some of the interviews off-camera. Wikipedia says it's because the filmmakers backed out of it and since MM already interviewed those people before for a magazine article, he stepped in.

B minus.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bitter

How I Live Now

A lot of elements going on in this movie. Not a lot of cohesion though. With everything kind of jumbled together with little regard to timing, and thrown at you without much understanding, it's hard to get the scope of the main plot features. An American girl is sent to stay with her UK relatives after her father has a new child, she immediately falls in love with her cousin, WW3 breaks out, nothing makes a lick of sense. Some heavy and dark themes emerge with mild suspense, but the movie overall was kind of tits up from the onset.

6.5/10 :-\
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

ez

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

retardgroove

retardgroove

Haha, nice ending.

I liked it,but there are some plot holes.

jmucke

Quote from: retardgroove on April 16, 2014, 02:00:55 PM

The whole story is one big plothole but its still the best, most imaginative movies I have seen in the last few month.

ez

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

retardgroove

Quote from: jmucke on April 17, 2014, 04:09:41 AM
Quote from: retardgroove on April 16, 2014, 02:00:55 PM

The whole story is one big plothole but its still the best, most imaginative movies I have seen in the last few month.

I thought it was good (the hero shit gets kinda old for me). I watched Enemy right after it and that won out for me with the two.

retardgroove

Solitary vampire Rock n' Roll flick. Blood used as a heroin metaphor (infected, diseased caution of blood with a bonus high). Gothy tones in literature, music, culture of Olde English.. etc. Most of the backdrop is of decaying Motorcity. I have given away the whole movie by now, but.. I dug it.  

gritty_fingers

Quote from: mortlock on April 06, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
bible movies are funny..

Do you know what is the best bible movie of all time....

Cool Hand Luke
"Ginger People"

Bro. Righteous

Great Expectations on TCM - weirdly rivoting.
I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

Lumpy

I Heart Huckabees - Jason Scwartzman hires existential detectives (Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman). I laughed a bunch. It borders on being a little too whimsical (thinking about the music in particular) but it was fun.

I'm like 10 years behind everybody else on Netflix...  :-[
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Bandit

Five Deadly Venoms

How I had missed this one is a mystery to me.

Dunedin

Svengali,

2013 UK comedy/drama about a small town guy moving to London to manage a band. Some genuinely funny moments, Martin Freeman and Jonny Owens characters arguing about who's more of a Mod, made me chuckle.

Edit: forgot to rate it. 6/10
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

poppus

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY

Good companion to NEBRASKA, viewed a couple weeks ago. Solid cast and dark laughs mixed with not overly earnest drama. Was full of beer, coffee and Ruen Pair, which surely helped.

JkFlesh

Under The Skin.  Strange, atmospheric, very slow arthouse sci-fi starring Scarlett J. and her naked jugs.  I had a mixed reaction overall, and it'll test your patience if you're not into the arthouse vibe, but I liked a lot of things about it, especially some of its stranger imagery.

retardgroove

Quote from: JkFlesh on April 20, 2014, 07:45:13 AM
Under The Skin.  Strange, atmospheric, very slow arthouse sci-fi starring Scarlett J. and her naked jugs.  I had a mixed reaction overall, and it'll test your patience if you're not into the arthouse vibe, but I liked a lot of things about it, especially some of its stranger imagery.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

bitter

Yum. I'd be giving little kisses all the way down.

/sansresurfacing

justJon

Oscar nominee, for sure. (They give one for "best full-frontal in an otherwise boring motion picture," don't they?)
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

bitter

No. You're confusing that with "Breast full-frontal", which is a category in the Adult Video Awards.  

Same basic award statue, just with tits.

Danny G

There is some great YouTube footage outakes from I Heart Hucksbees.

Apparently Lily Tomlin hated the director and cussed him the fuck out quite often.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

deleted account

that's weird, since she previously worked with (for?) him in Flirting With Disaster