Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeeZa

Quote from: JkFlesh on April 20, 2014, 07:45:13 AM
Under The Skin.  Strange, atmospheric, very slow arthouse sci-fi starring Scarlett J. and her naked jugs.  I had a mixed reaction overall, and it'll test your patience if you're not into the arthouse vibe, but I liked a lot of things about it, especially some of its stranger imagery.

Saw this at the weekend. Thought it was fucking incredible. So so weird and other-worldly. Takes the basic concept of the book (the book is excellent too but very different) and just goes for a full on mind-fuck. I can see why it took the Director forever to make this because it's one of those films that's always on the brink of being completely ridiculous and not working, but instead it keeps going and you can't keep your eyes off it. The ocean rescue scene is completely alien, cold and doomy. So good, a few other scenes too spoilery to mention are also a visual treat.

Sci-fi in Glasgow!

The Shocker

ez

The Wind Rises  9/10
Calvary  8/10
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes  7.5/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

gritty_fingers

Dallas Buyers Club with Matthew McConaughey

Excellent movie. I strongly recommend this one.
"Ginger People"

whoshotthefrog

Great movie and Jude Law is awesome as the lead character. I think he is Oscar worthy but I know he'll never be considered.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

jmucke

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on September 07, 2014, 09:18:12 AM

Great movie and Jude Law is awesome as the lead character. I think he is Oscar worthy but I know he'll never be considered.

Its a fun movie but a bit too obvious a show-off-role for Law.

Lumpy

Beyond the Black Rainbow - the plot is paper thin (and if you blinked during key points, possibly incomprehensible) but this homage to 80's low budget Sci-Fi looks absolutely amazing, and the soundtrack and sound design is incredible, especially if you appreciate electronic music. A case where atmosphere and minimalist production design trumps storyline and logic. Some people will find this one boring, but I absolutely loved it. Wear headphones or put subtitles on - much of the dialogue seems to be whispered, and the flimsy plot points will be totally lost if you aren't paying attention. Style over substance, absolutely.

A-
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

JkFlesh

Quote from: Lumpy on September 08, 2014, 12:19:29 AM

Beyond the Black Rainbow - the plot is paper thin (and if you blinked during key points, possibly incomprehensible) but this homage to 80's low budget Sci-Fi looks absolutely amazing, and the soundtrack and sound design is incredible, especially if you appreciate electronic music. A case where atmosphere and minimalist production design trumps storyline and logic. Some people will find this one boring, but I absolutely loved it. Wear headphones or put subtitles on - much of the dialogue seems to be whispered, and the flimsy plot points will be totally lost if you aren't paying attention. Style over substance, absolutely.

A-

Agreed, 100%, great movie, amazing analog synth soundtrack and 80s retro sci-fi feel.  One of the first Blu Rays I bought.  I love this movie.

Just saw the new British prison drama Starred Up.  Great cast, really intense.  Essential viewing.

Dylan Thomas

Watched "The Machine" on Netflix today.  Good indie sci-fi.  I enjoyed it.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

gritty_fingers

Spiderman 2 sucked....Especially in comparsion to Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sony needs to give up their Spiderman license and give it back to Marvel.
"Ginger People"

ez

Locke  7/10
Lord of Tears  5/10
13 Sins  5/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

The Shocker

Watched Cheap Thrills because I love David Koechner.  Entertaining, but fairly predictable.  B, B-

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: JkFlesh on September 10, 2014, 08:58:52 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on September 08, 2014, 12:19:29 AM

A-

Agreed, 100%, great movie, amazing analog synth soundtrack and 80s retro sci-fi feel.  One of the first Blu Rays I bought.  I love this movie.

Yeah, I love this movie.  Terrible plot, and slow as hell.  Amazing atmosphere, soundscapes, and vibe.

Great homage to 80's horror at the end too.  Two teenagers in the woods drinking beer and listening to Venom, I wonder what's gonna happen???

I just saw The Giver.  I liked it, though it felt a bit rushed.  It's a short movie, I wish they'd gone into detail about a couple more things.  It's a decent "smart" sci-fi, in that it doesn't degenerate into a mindless action flick AKA Divergent or Elysium.  Mindless shooting/killing with a flimsy sci-fi premise ain't my bag, and this movie transcends that ilk, though I felt that some key plot points were just not developed or explained very well...

Omlet

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on September 17, 2014, 01:30:12 PM
some key plot points were just not developed or explained very well...

^this. And the last scene was completely redundant.

Chest Rockwell

good thread. this site has some treasure!

very recommended. best film I've seen in ages. or at least, first actually GOOD one...

I play bass in THORUN

Facebook  www.facebook.com/Thorunband
Music       www.thorun.bandcamp.com
Youtube   www.youtube.com/user/Thorunband

ez

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

PyramidPyro

Coherence:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2866360/

Best movie I've seen in a while.

black

The thing with re-watching Up In Smoke on weed, is that it will totally remind you of the first time you saw Up In Smoke on weed.

It just seems to have that effect.

(yes, i re-watched it last night)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

deleted account

it may be the most consistently repeatable win-win in life

black

An awesome statement of truth, priest.
It never fails to deliver as well as crack me up.
For so many reasons.

The Shocker

Somehow I'd never seen this before, but goddamn if I didn't cry at the end.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: black on September 30, 2014, 01:27:29 PM
The thing with re-watching Up In Smoke on weed, is that it will totally remind you of the first time you saw Up In Smoke on weed.

It just seems to have that effect.

(yes, i re-watched it last night)

Woke up at the asscrack of dawn on my birthday in August, got stoned as fuck and watched this movie.  Then I watched the next two Cheech and Chong movies, though I passed out and went back to sleep during the third one.  Good times...

black

I'd say you are doing it right, my friend.

boltthrow

Quote from: The Shocker on September 30, 2014, 09:06:57 PM

Somehow I'd never seen this before, but goddamn if I didn't cry at the end.

Best part: Tim Thomerson dancing.