Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

boltthrow

Quote from: Lumpy on December 09, 2014, 03:43:02 PM
Quote from: The Shocker on December 08, 2014, 04:47:15 PM
Anybody seen The Babadook yet?  Been getting really good reviews.

Bolt panned it, weeks ago.

Panned it?  I posted the trailer 'cause it looks good!  (I haven't seen it yet though).

The Shocker

I've gone through the following stages with it:

1. Saw the title - WTF?
2. Genre sites started mentioning it - cool, interested
3. Every review is positive - excited
4. Actually read the reviews - grow concerned as the mainstream critics seem to be reading a lot into this movie.

As it is on OnDemand I'll still watch it, but I am trying to temper my excitement.

Lumpy

(I was confused, Bolt's review was for Annabelle.)

Under the Skin was good, but too much time spent on Scarlett Johansen driving around in a van.

She looks very sturdy without her clothes on :)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

do you need to see the older hobbit movies before the new one??

bitter

I watched both of those hobbitzes movies together a couple of months ago. I remember like 5 minutes of them, and those flicks were a combined 5+ hours long. Seriously, I thought it was one long, boring-ass movie.

To answer your question: Yes, you're likely gonna want to watch them first.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

mortlock

well, after your description, I think im going to pass all together. thanks man..

bitter

NP, I never liked them "rings movies" either.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

irratebass

St Vincent - It was excellent, with great performances by all.
Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

ez

Shit, late to reply. Anyhow, without giving too much away it's a horror movie that's so much more than just a horror movie. If you like old school psychological horror you're probably going to like it.

As for recent shit:

The Guest  8/10
so campy and so good. and an amazing soundtrack too.
The Equalizer  7/10
The Hobbit 3  6/10
Tusk  3/10
Anabelle  6/10
I Origins  7/10
Predestination  8/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

retardgroove

Didn't hate it, but Robot and Frank was much better.

astroman

Quote from: EaterofBirds on April 24, 2014, 01:10:00 AM
Snowpiercer...which was awesome, well..til the last half hour. Seemed they got long winded and kept it going pretty well then ran out of ideas at hour 3. It turns from a great mix of sci-fi, in your face violence (ala old Boy) to a screeching halt. i didn't think you could have a rushed ending on a 3 hour movie til I saw this..almost like the clock struck the mark, and someone yelled, "okay, wrap this shit up..." Leaves you with a feeling of a great film either undermined or just someone just plain fell asleep at the switch.
It was only 2 hours, dude.
But the ending was a bit of a letdown for me too. Helluva movie all around.

gritty_fingers

Quote from: bitter on December 14, 2014, 12:58:53 AM
I watched both of those hobbitzes movies together a couple of months ago. I remember like 5 minutes of them, and those flicks were a combined 5+ hours long. Seriously, I thought it was one long, boring-ass movie.

To answer your question: Yes, you're likely gonna want to watch them first.

The dragon was the only interesting character in the movie (and he doesn't appear until the 2nd film)
"Ginger People"

RAGER

Quote from: The Shocker on December 08, 2014, 04:47:15 PM
Anybody seen The Babadook yet?  Been getting really good reviews.

Is there a connection?
No Focus Pocus

irratebass

Dug it until the end, and I was like wtf?  ???

I enjoyed it and it was great seeing these 2 work together again, but again the end was just meh.

Really enjoyed this one and great performances
Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

peoplething

free on amazon prime

8/10

10/10

I finally got around to seeing Troll Hunter too, great flick loaded with dry comedy.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

astroman

12 Angry Men - Loved it. Deserving of its "Classic" status. I need to watch more classics.

Re-watched Bernie and liked it even more than I did the first time.

The Score (2001 DeNiro/Norton) was pretty bad.

diasdegalvan

Nightbreed Director's Cut (1990)

Watched it recently on Netflx. Had high expectations having loved Hellraiser I and II with this having same director. First half was good but the second half really dragged on.

The Shocker

Nightbreed was 1990?  I would have sworn it was earlier. I liked it when it came out, need to see the director's cut. Cronenberg was good in it.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

whoshotthefrog

It could have been 20 minutes shorter, but a decent flick.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

retardgroove

Quote from: irratebass on December 29, 2014, 03:05:02 PM

Dug it until the end, and I was like wtf?  ???

No shit. fuck you stupid ending.

ugh. It did have Reagan Youth's Heavy Metal Shuffle playing in the titty bar scene. Other than that I just passed out from boredom watching it.

jmucke

Read the book some twenty years ago and only remembered that the freezer truck was a lot of fun. It still is. Directed and co-written by Roger Sterling and he did a very good job on both counts. Impeccable cast with the lawnmover man from True Detective having a great scene. More dark comedy than crime drama - like the book.

retardgroove

Quote from: jmucke on January 06, 2015, 06:54:09 AM

Read the book some twenty years ago and only remembered that the freezer truck was a lot of fun. It still is. Directed and co-written by Roger Sterling and he did a very good job on both counts. Impeccable cast with the lawnmover man from True Detective having a great scene. More dark comedy than crime drama - like the book.

^
Not anyone involved best work, but I still enjoyed it.