Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astroman

Election (Reese Witherspoon movie) - really fucking good. If I had watched it when it first came out, i would have re-watched it several times by now.

Chinatown - ehhhh...pretty fuckin good movie, but I don't see it as one of the greatest ever. Maybe I should have seen it decades ago.

Exit through the Gift Shop - Holy fuck! Not what I was expecting at all! I thought it was going to be all about Banksy or a modern day Style Wars, and I didn't need that because Style Wars is classic. Loved this shit!

Robot & Frank - really enjoyed it and would recommend, even though I didn't feel satisfied by the ending.

diasdegalvan

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) - Great film based on the killing spree of Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole. Very disturbing scenes.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

astroman

Man On Wire - doc about the guy who walked a tight wire between the twin towers. Really good film and the "Man" is a cool/crazy character.

They Call It Myanmar - doc about (duh) Myanmar (Burma). Mainly watched it because I have a friend who lives there and some friends going to visit. Pretty decent. Good for anyone interested in travel or history. Or humans.

astroman

In Bruges - Really fucking good dark comedy involving hitmen, drugs, and a midget.

Chef - Really good happy movie about food and family, directed by and starring Jon Favreau.

Jor el

Just saw FROZEN

Figured I should see what my 4 year old niece has been going on and on and on and on and on and on aboot.

What Would Scooby Do ?

deleted account

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Jor el on February 06, 2015, 09:48:42 PM

Just saw FROZEN

Figured I should see what my 4 year old niece has been going on and on and on and on and on and on aboot.

i actually dug it, first disney princess movie ever that wasn't about a princess' dependence on a prince.
my 4yr old daughter was like 'meh', but dug olaf. i liked the razor sharp arrows on the crossbows.
why does it hurt when i pee?

astroman

Best part of Frozen were the Arrested Development references. Good all around though.

The Machinist - more like The Meh...chinist. Put me to sleep a lot faster than it did Bale's character.

astroman

Frequencies - Interesting/unique/odd romantic/sci fi/existential story. Pretty fuckin good.

American Sniper - Boring as fuck. I'm not politically ootraged or anything, but it's pretty bland.

GodShifter

Saw "Spongbob SquarePants: Out of Water" or whatever it was called. I think even my 9 year old daughter was bored with it.

GRADE: F

I'd never seen SBSP cartoon before and I can see why now.

Saw "Paddington" on the day of the SB, and it wasn't bad.

GRADE: C+

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

astroman

ez

Quote from: astroman on February 08, 2015, 11:27:20 PM
Birdman was really good.

Seconded. Nearly brilliant even. It's a real shame the score won't be permitted into the Oscars selection. It pretty much made the movie.

Others:

Kill The Messenger  8/10
Big Hero 6  8/10
Before I Go To Sleep  7/10
John Wick  8/10
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

irratebass

American Sniper - I dug it, and glad they didn't really glorify him with his home life, he had issues.....I blame his dad
Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

JkFlesh

Fury
John Wick

Dug 'em both.  Wish Fury hadn't gotten so rah-rah-rah conventional in the second half because the first hour was truly disturbing.

John Wick's fight scenes were great.  Not The Raid level, but clearly influenced by its style.  Very raw and clearly shot.

astroman

Gone Girl - wasn't a total waste of time but it ain't all that. Story is kinda clumsy and the lead actors are pretty shitty.

astroman

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Not as good or crazy as I thought it would be. Lots of style, but just OK.

Joe - Not much style, and also just OK.

The Drop - Fairly boring but decent.

Kill Bill - Yeah I've seen it a bunch of times, but watched it again last night. Now that's a fucking film.

The Shocker

^ Yeah, watched both parts of Kill Bill back to back the other day.  I love Uma.

Watched Edge of Tomorrow yesterday.  Really good movie, I don't understand how that wasn't a hit.  Had Shaft's girl in it & she was badass.

jmucke

Quote from: JkFlesh on February 09, 2015, 04:49:54 PM
Wish Fury hadn't gotten so rah-rah-rah conventional in the second half because the first hour was truly disturbing.

True. The first half was a more graphic version of Big Red One and really gripping but the finale was so conventional is became boring.

ez

Inherent Vice  9/10

Probably my favourite P.T. Anderson movie to date.

Don't watch this one sober.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

lowdaddy

Quote from: ez on February 19, 2015, 05:54:55 PM
Inherent Vice  9/10

Probably my favourite P.T. Anderson movie to date.

Don't watch this one sober.

Really?  Better than Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood?  Jesus, I gotta see this thing.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

retardgroove

lowdaddy

Quote from: retardgroove on February 19, 2015, 10:53:43 PM
Quote from: lowdaddy on February 19, 2015, 09:23:05 PM
Really?  Better than Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood

NO.

You didn't like it?  Or just not as much as his classics?
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.