Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

mortlock

The meg. Dumb and cool at the same time. Its no jaws but i wasnt expecting that. More dumb than cool but worth the 1.89 at red box.

Lumpy

Saw these from a distance while serving jury duty:

Ant-Man & the Wasp: formulaic Marvel stuff (wisecracks, recurring gags, tugs on heartstrings, etc). Michael Douglas' 47th appearance in a Marvel movie.

Oceans 11: all about style, clichés. Upbeat. Would be a good movie when you're recovering from surgery. Background music should have gotten top billing.

Jumanji 2 - Welcome to the Jungle: total crap, good movie to watch when you're hanging out with your bros and don't want to watch a movie. Terrible.

Disclaimer: viewed from a distance, during jury duty.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MikeyT

Saw 'OVERLORD' last Wed.

WWII (kinda)...   American soldiers, Nazi's, and Zombies. Thought it was comicbookesque, and fun/pretty good. Mathilde Ollivier makes a really cute French Resistance sympathizer(?).
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

whoshotthefrog

This was pretty good. Pretty quick moving and not boring at all.  It was based on a true story of a group of Israeli secret agents who tracked down the mastermind to the Holocaust in the early 60's in Buenos Aires.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

Plywood

Quote from: Lumpy on December 10, 2018, 07:39:45 PM
...serving jury duty:
I had jury duty the 7th of December, and the asshole didn't show up (thx asshole!) I was out of there in about 1 hour.

Movies: I think BlacKkKlansman is the only one I watched beginning to end. Rare these days. Comic book movies, god darnit.

Lumpy

Quote from: Plywood on December 17, 2018, 11:47:21 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on December 10, 2018, 07:39:45 PM
...serving jury duty:
I had jury duty the 7th of December, and the asshole didn't show up (thx asshole!) I was out of there in about 1 hour.

December is supposed to be a good month to get called in to serve... not as many new cases get started in December because everyone wants to go on vacation.

mortlock

Venom.
Cool movie. Fun and great cgi. Looking forward to carnage in the next one. Im pretty sure spiderman will be there.

renfield

Is there an explicit hint that Carnage will show up? He's my favorite! Haven't seen Venom yet

sleestak

I heard so many bad things about Venom that I didn't make a point to see it but then the first 20 minutes didn't seem bad at all for a comic book movie when I put it on at home.   (I hate the current state of comic book movies, too many wisecracks and jokes, too many movies, too many crossovers)  I was a big fan of venom in the comics when he was created and all that shit.  Plan to finish it maybe tonight.   Could be low expectations.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

mortlock

Quote from: renfield on December 22, 2018, 02:29:15 PM
Is there an explicit hint that Carnage will show up? He's my favorite! Haven't seen Venom yet
hidden scene at the end hints at it.

Josh

I typically avoid comic book movies, but by father-in-law loves them. We watched Venom last night and I thought it was good dumb fun. Poor Tom Hardy had a hell of time trying to speak American.

sleestak

Quote from: mortlock on December 23, 2018, 01:37:48 PM

Haven't finished the movie yet but I read somewhere that the venom series is supposed to end up a trilogy with a spider maximum carnage 3rd act.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

mortlock

Quote from: sleestak on December 26, 2018, 06:59:43 AM
Quote from: mortlock on December 23, 2018, 01:37:48 PM

Haven't finished the movie yet but I read somewhere that the venom series is supposed to end up a trilogy with a spider maximum carnage 3rd act.
thats what im hoping for and based on the first one im stoked. having tom hardy and now woody harrelson in it makes it cool af.

renfield

The new Watership Down adaptation on Netflix. It's not a beautifully animated surrealist horror like the first film, but the story is much more fully and definitively realized here. This is such an epic story, always been one of my favorites.

I almost abandoned this new one because the CG really rubbed the wrong way, but I get what they were trying to do and you get used to it.

Plywood

Hereditary took me by surprise. Thinking it was gonna be another boring The Conjuring type thing with a superficial take on the beings of the great beyond (devils,demons,angels,ghosts whatever). But Hereditary along with The VVitch and of course The Shining gets it right with the total breakdown of a family and its eerie encounters with true evil.

juan11

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on November 12, 2018, 07:17:08 PM

My brother asked me if I'd heard of this & I said nope.  He said, watch it without looking up anything, so I drank 3 weeds and put it on one night.  FUCK .  YES.  This is the best movie since Deep Throat.  DON'T GOOGLE SHIT.
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

socket

Went and saw Eternal Sunshine tonight. Fun. Super sad. Sci-Fi love story. Still holds up.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

renfield

I like most all the movies written by that dude Kaufman. They're all fuckin devastating though

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Josh

I recently re-watched All the President's Men for the first time in years. Definitely holds up and is certainly relevant to today. I then watched The Post, which focuses on the pentagon papers and the legal fight to publish them. The Post isn't as good of a political thriller, but one interesting thing is the last scene is basically a shot-for-shot recreation of the opening scene of AtPM, so you can watch it essentially as a prequel. 

Josh

The wife and I finished The Little Drummer Girl. We both liked it. If you liked AMC's previous adaptation of John le Carre's The Night Manager, you might like this even more. I did.

whoshotthefrog

Decent movie. After the Apocalypse Peter Dinklage's character thinks he is the only survivor until he runs in a girl who is also trying to survive in this new world.

renfield

Quote from: Josh on January 13, 2019, 01:37:30 AM
I recently re-watched All the President's Men for the first time in years. Definitely holds up and is certainly relevant to today. I then watched The Post, which focuses on the pentagon papers and the legal fight to publish them. The Post isn't as good of a political thriller, but one interesting thing is the last scene is basically a shot-for-shot recreation of the opening scene of AtPM, so you can watch it essentially as a prequel.

ATPM and Zodiac are the two best procedural thrillers I've ever seen. They make the paper pushing tedium of real detective work insanely suspenseful and exciting

Lumpy

Quote from: juan11 on January 08, 2019, 01:51:41 PM
Quote from: whoshotthefrog on November 12, 2018, 07:17:08 PM

My brother asked me if I'd heard of this & I said nope.  He said, watch it without looking up anything, so I drank 3 weeds and put it on one night.  FUCK .  YES.  This is the best movie since Deep Throat.  DON'T GOOGLE SHIT.

It's good, I laughed a lot. Don't read reviews, just watch it. (Now I wanna check out Deep Throat)