Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Thomas

Who has seen Belladonna of Sadness?  Old Japanese cartoon, ultra fucked up and bizarre.  Kinda hard to watch, real rape-y.  I got a bootleg copy long ago that I just finally have the tech to actually watch lol.  Off the wall, super uncomfortable.

Oh, the sountrack is really incredible, I've had that vinyl for a while.  Well worth picking up even if the movie ain't your cup of tea.

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

lftwng4

I think I saw Belladonna of Sadness a while back, possibly on TCM.  It seems vaguely familiar, don't know where else I would have seen it.

Dylan Thomas

I got around to watching "Old."

That was bad, that dude is really out of touch.  Some of the actors were great, and he has them delivering some truly awful dialogue with no idea how to direct that dialogue other than to make it ironically humorous.

He has no insight anymore into how genuine human interactions in the real world even look like, so it comes off as just this sad parody of human life devoid of actual emotional content.

neighbor664

Dylan Thomas

The Blood On Satan's Claw

How did I miss this old masterpiece of absurdist campy goodness????????

It is so, so off the wall yet so, so satisfying.

renfield

KIMI. real good thriller; kind of a Rear Window for the modern era.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: renfield on March 07, 2022, 06:29:46 PM
KIMI. real good thriller; kind of a Rear Window for the modern era.

Hmmm, I love Rear Window, so this is pertinent to my interests.

Dylan Thomas

I watched Hellbender.

Good movie.  Rare, a newer horror movie that isn't just some predictable cookie-cutter bullshit.

I'd say that over the last decade, there have only been a handful of decent, original horror movies (The Babadook, John Dies At The End, The Lighthouse, The Dark, Mandy, In The Earth, etc) and this is certainly a worthy addition to that list.

renfield

I'm really looking forward to Hellbender, but I disagree about your assessment about recent horror films in general. Here's some others you might dig based on your list:

Saint Maud
Under the Silver Lake
The VVitch
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Midsommar / Hereditary
A Cure for Wellness
Murder Party
Raw
Climax
Gretel & Hansel
Sea Fever
Get Out
Malignant
Possessor
It Follows
Annihilation
Under the Skin
The Devil's Candy
The Innkeepers
Thelma
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: renfield on March 11, 2022, 01:06:49 PM
I'm really looking forward to Hellbender, but I disagree about your assessment about recent horror films in general. Here's some others you might dig based on your list:

Saint Maud
Under the Silver Lake
The VVitch
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Midsommar / Hereditary
A Cure for Wellness
Murder Party
Raw
Climax
Gretel & Hansel
Sea Fever
Get Out
Malignant
Possessor
It Follows
Annihilation
Under the Skin
The Devil's Candy
The Innkeepers
Thelma
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Under The Silver Lake I'd call neo-noir.  Excellent movie regardless.

Beyond The Black Rainbow is from 2010, and also excellent.

Agree on The VVitch, though I listed The Lighthouse because I think it's much better
Midsommar was *decent*, thought that Hereditary was weak.  Good acting, bad writing/direction.  That filmmaker seems very, very limited.

Immediately after I made my list of examples, I realized that I should have specifically included Get Out.  That filmmaker is not limited, he really understands what horror is all about, what makes a concept truly frightening: relevance.
I thought It Follows is completely overrated.  Not impressed in the slightest, mostly derivative with one smidget of originality.

Annihilation is phenomenal, and again, not sure I'd categorize it as "horror".  Sci-fi?  I guess it falls into the same realm as Alien, I wouldn't really put that in the horror category either.

Under The Skin, I'd forgotten that was 2013, that would make the list, yes.

I was not impressed with Raw.

I have not seen the others, honestly, and I'll work my way through them and perhaps let you know what I think.  I'm not shy to share my experiences and opinions ;-)

Dylan Thomas

I started Climax and fell asleep, I tend to be wiped and crash hard on Friday nights.

What I saw so far was pretty well done, though it hadn't gotten very "visionary" yet.

I think you'll totally dig Hellbender, man, that's what it gets right that sooooo many movies get wrong, the visions. 

New Dune, didn't do it well.

Midsommar, didn't do it well.

In The Earth, Mandy, nails those vision sequences, so does Hellbender.  Curious how Climax will do with that.....

renfield

Be sure to check out BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW, 'tis the dude who made Mandy's directorial debut. It's a lot more opaque and strange and lacks a glorious Nic Cage performance to help the artsy fartsiness go down, but I really loved it. Visually it is ... completely fucked.

CLIMAX is actually pretty visually restrained. Even though all the characters are on LSD I don't believe it ever shows you their perspective. It's directed by Gaspar Noe, whose previous film ENTER THE VOID is *entirely* shot from one character's perspective who dies in the first fifteen minutes of the film. It's got some of the most incredible psychedelic visual effects I've ever seen. But maybe you weren't being completely literal when you said "visions"

Oh and it has one of the best title sequences of all time, if you can do strobing lights:

Dylan Thomas

Yes, definitely visually restrained, though intense.  I didn't realize that Climax was the same person who did Welcome To The Void, I love that movie.

I liked Climax well enough, though I have some lingering questions about things that didn't exactly sit right with me.  I wonder what point the film maker was trying to get across, is this some sort of exploitation film?  A cautionary tale, don't do drugs??  What was the film maker hoping that the viewer's takeaway from the movie would be?

Yes, I saw Beyond the Black Rainbow when it came out and I own a copy.  It's a favorite of mine, I much prefer it to Mandy.  I didn't include it in my list of horror movies I thought were good from the past decade because it's from 2010..... I literally meant in the last 10 years, 2012-2022.

renfield

Gotcha

Another one I'm a fan of is LORDS OF SALEM although most people didn't care for it. Curious if you saw / enjoyed it

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: renfield on March 15, 2022, 05:28:58 PM
Gotcha

Another one I'm a fan of is LORDS OF SALEM although most people didn't care for it. Curious if you saw / enjoyed it

Actually I did!  I forgot about that one, and I actually thought that it was surprisingly well done.  I was surprised because yeah, most people didn't like it, though I found it to be a lot more original than his other films.

neighbor664

Isabellacat

saw the new Ghostbusters lately,didnt like it  :-\ kinda sucked!!

the 2016 one was better!!!

mortlock

Quote from: Isabellacat on March 19, 2022, 09:02:44 PM

i put the 2016 film right with the original films. mccarthy and mckinnon are brilliant. 

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: mortlock on March 19, 2022, 10:40:07 PM

i put the 2016 film right with the original films. mccarthy and mckinnon are brilliant.

Agreed.  The 2016 one was arguably better than Ghostbusters 2, which felt very scripted compared to the more off the cuff humor of the original.  The 2016 version did a much better job of capturing the humor of the original.

The original is my 3rd favorite movie of all time. I haven't seen this new one.

I did watch Black Crab the other night, I liked it well enough.  I had also watched a few newer horror movies as of late, meh.  I don't even remember the names because they were forgettable.  I still need to work through the rest of that list that renfield provided me.

mortlock

metal lords was pretty good. some cool cameos.

jmucke

Quote from: mortlock on April 12, 2022, 08:06:23 PM
metal lords was pretty good. some cool cameos.

I smiled a couple of times and the cameos were fun but in the end the story followed the obvious mainstream-cliches and was way to predictable. The battle of the bands-finale was really dumb.

renfield

Yeah it was pretty formulaic, but I can't dislike any movie that has a "discovering your love of metal" montage set to War Pigs

jmucke

Agreed, that War Pigs-montage was nice.

Dylan Thomas

Yeah, kinda did.  Too much failed nostalgia tripping, watering down/rehashing old jokes from the original, etc, not to mention a shitty script and poor pacing. It just wasn't particularly entertaining.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: renfield on January 13, 2022, 09:46:17 PM
Oh dude you gotta watch THE RAID. This main guy is the same guy from THE NIGHT COMES FOR US

Finally got a chance to watch this yesterday. Great movie and the action and gore never lets up.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/