Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

Jarmusch -  Coffee and Cigarettes.

Also watched Paterson a relationship flick, which I quickly put in the return bin but will probably get back out and watch again. Molasses slow that I kinda had to wait through but it's got something to it I can't put my finger on, probably a couple zen truth aha moments. Maybe this is the Jarmusch signature I don't know. Nothing exciting that's for sure. haha.

Muffin Man

Can You Ever Forgive Me. Lightweight true story art forgery flick. I thought well acted and not boring. Picked up the book from the library 127pp

Dylan Thomas

Okay.....

So I watched "NOPE."

Okay.....

I don't really fear very much in life these days, and this movie scared the shit out of me.  I feel it really acutely whenever I get defensive, that's really what "suffering" is, a resistance, a barrier that we put up.  So I realize fully when that happens. I mean, I had to go wake up the wife, who was not happy about that.  Literally had to pause the movie and wake her up. I could barely take it, and certainly not on my own.  Eventually, the kitteh came and sat with me while I watched , which was extremely comforting.  I'm not really used to suffering now, it's rare, so it was really hard.

In full disclosure, I don't really talk about this much, and I'm scared of horses, so there's that.  There's a real irony there, as I'm Hungarian.  Hungarians are really known for four things: paprika, wine, horses, and a language that's nearly impossible to speak.  I just recently found out from some folks who were visiting from Florida that I spent much of my childhood in an area of Florida that's known for raising horses.  I never even noticed, honestly, so what does that say about me?  I can't recall seeing a single horse, and apparently they were all around me that whole time, while I grew up with my Hungarian grandparents.  It's interesting what we choose to tune out.

I've sat in meditation 11 years.  I realize that anything that we fear is a reflection of the parts of our selves that we do not want to face, yet.  Eventually, we'll all have to face them.

I don't know what I faced in this movie.  The best description of Zen that a teacher ever taught me was "absorption."  So maybe I really do know, because wasn't that what it was all about?  Maybe I just really needed to see it like this.  It's not so scary after all.  It was kind of beautiful.

Not matter what, it blew my mind.  Not too much that can blow my mind, as my mind's already been blown. Everything we really want in life is on the other side of fear.  I feel a lot better for having gone through this.

Now, I just gotta ride a horse, don't I? ;-)

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Pissy

Nope.

So you liked it?  I liked it. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Pissy on September 19, 2022, 08:39:00 AM

Nope.

HA! 

Actually, I absolutely kid you not, right when he was in his truck and the thing was hovering over his head, I said "NOPE" and then he said the same thing right afterwards.

I didn't just like it, it was profound.

Well played, my friend.  One good gift deserves another.

neighbor664

Dylan Thomas

I watched Captain Fantastic.

Now THAT was fantastic!

Dylan Thomas

I watched some of this new "Infinity" documentary on Netflix.

Pretty good with the visuals and such.  I was always very, very influenced by the mathematics of infinity, as posited by Georg Cantor.  This documentary gets a bit into that, and also starts pretty early with the model of Hilbert's Hotel, which I was recently hard pressed to explain to Liz in relatable terms, so good thing that the film makers did it so well.

If you're at all interested in this subject, I cannot recommend Rudy Rucker's book "Infinity and the Mind" enough.  Good stuff, it even has the formulation of Godel's Incompleteness Theorems explained, both in symbolic logic and layman's terms, which is fabulous.  Godel's Incompleteness Theorems had a huge influence on my own thought, along with Xeno's paradox, in differentiating rationalism in favor of a more purely empirical mode of thinking.

Not that rationalism doesn't have its place in approximating reality, it's just without direct experience of said reality, what do we really know?

Muffin Man

House of Gucci (2021)
6.6 on IMDB
B.S.! a solid 7.5
Lady Gaga nailed it Ridley Scott dir. story flows, no reason to look away. Cool cast, well acted all around. Potential cult flick with a whodunit thing going somwhere. The cinematography flags in and out of high-budget no-budget* a little jerky but the movie goes on and on like hollywood with actually some, seemingly, remarkable real-estate glam I'd like to take residence at. Will re-watch at least for the scenery. Fun flick but seems isn't quite 100% the glamour of the reported namesake mystique.. or maybe I'm out of the loop. More chowder than bisque I dare say...and that almost doesn't actually matter. It's good enough cinema to have some popcorn and bon-bons at intermisson. No, the Oscar was surely not in play here, some will disagree, but the nomination was no fluke. Recommended. Good cinema I can see this playing well at a Sunday afternoon matinee.

*Budget $75Mil

Muffin Man

neighbor664

B-movie horror flick on night flight streaming app.

Muffin Man

cool thanks neighbor! I signed up. first thing on live tv is Karen Black in some biker flick. their catalog is just want I needed! - b-flicks galore. no ads, no cgi. pure schlock, yay!

with Rutger Hauer!

Savage Dawn 1985
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089963/

Muffin Man

night flight plus. thanks again neighbor!

Blood Harvest (1987) starring Tiny Tim. Dir. Bill Rebane

delicious schlock for October.

neighbor664

Right on, Muffin Man!

S'more Night Flight goodness.

Muffin Man

Maniac Cop 1, 2, and 3. I think these might be the first I've seen of the Larry Cohen movies, at least that I know of. Not much to ponder over and pretty much a waste of time but spot on for October. And no commercial interruptions. If anything useful as backround sounds for working on something else. Looking forward to checking out more ...holy crap he wrote two of my favorite Columbo episodes! Also Black Caesar, seen that. On a kick now ...

renfield

THE SADNESS, thai zombie film. The zombies retain their intelligence and just become unable to resist their darkest urges, so it's a lot like Garth Ennis' Crossed comic books if you're familiar with that. Gore to the fucking max, just gallon upon gallon of blood.

renfield

Other october viewings:

AGNES. Possessed nun stuff. This is like if a knockoff Wes Anderson or Richard Linklater made his attempt at an A24 style psychological / social commentary horror film. All the actual horror stuff pretty much happens in the first third and then after that it's more just slice of life observations about gender roles with some satanic symbolism. It was okay.

HELLRAISER 2022. Cool practical effects and sets, the cenobites look great, and I thought it was cool to have a final girl who fucks and does drugs and crimes. But it is really really weak tea compared to the original 2 movies and their epic story of psychosexual freaks betraying each other to eternal torture. More of a standard monster movie really.

FIRESTARTER 2022. Garbage. Turned it off after 20 minutes, so I didn't really watch it I guess. Made me want to read and/or watch the Drew Barrymore movie though.

lftwng4

Quote from: Muffin Man on October 17, 2022, 10:17:29 PM
Maniac Cop 1, 2, and 3. I think these might be the first I've seen of the Larry Cohen movies, at least that I know of. Not much to ponder over and pretty much a waste of time but spot on for October. And no commercial interruptions. If anything useful as backround sounds for working on something else. Looking forward to checking out more ...holy crap he wrote two of my favorite Columbo episodes! Also Black Caesar, seen that. On a kick now ...

Larry Cohen also did It's Alive and It Lives Again, which will both be shown this Saturday morning on TCM at 2am.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: lftwng4 on October 18, 2022, 07:24:47 PM
Quote from: Muffin Man on October 17, 2022, 10:17:29 PM

Larry Cohen also did It's Alive and It Lives Again, which will both be shown this Saturday morning on TCM at 2am.

Classics!

renfield

V/H/S/99- Another collection of found footage horror shorts. None of them are genuinely scary in my opinion but there's a real variety of different ideas and tones. I really loved the one about the Nickelodeon-style children's competition show, it goes in all sorts of bonkers directions you would never expect.  The rest range from "meh" to "pretty good". Half the fun in this is just wondering what the next segment is gonna be, so I won't go into any more detail.

BARBARIAN - This movie ruled! Lots of tonal shifts, keeps you engaged throughout and on the edge of your seat for what will happen next. Not to imply some huge twist or anything, it's just a well told horror movie that's unpredictable moment to moment.

DEADSTREAM - less annoying than I thought it would be from the trailer, it implements the trappings of internet culture in an entertaining way but as you can surmise if you google this film, it can't possibly be scary in any degree. I'd rather see the "dave's cooking show" version of this

Muffin Man

Basket Case 3. Man, what a classic (I'd guess) in terms of those animatronic creatures. It's Harryhausen level genius cheese-horror schlock! I'll have to get the dvd and hope for extras. Night Flight is running a Troma marathon - I would've never in million years watched this stuff before but here we are for a cheeseball halloween weekend.

renfield

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN

Wow, what a great fucking movie.

mortlock

Quote from: renfield on December 15, 2022, 04:07:08 PM

fecken great movie. I watched it today off your recomendation. Im left speechless. I dont even know what to say about it.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on December 17, 2022, 06:04:08 PM
Quote from: renfield on December 15, 2022, 04:07:08 PM

fecken great movie. I watched it today off your recomendation. Im left speechless. I dont even know what to say about it.

Good movie but a bit of a bummer.  It got Kellie down so she stopped watching. Poor feckin wee donkey.
No Focus Pocus