Main Menu

Drum machine

Started by beer, August 28, 2020, 07:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer

I'm looking for something to jam with more for timing and to let things ride while I feedback or whatever. I looked for a thread, but they were all 8-10 years old. Don't plan to record with it, so something on the simple/functional side would be best.

Been writing more songs away from the band so I'd like something playing in the back to jam with.
Help always appreciated from you lot.

Muffin Man

I had a korg in the 90s and loved it. (still can't stand the Alesis, can't do it thanks)  I should get this one myself

[spoiler]https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/korg-kr-55-pro-rhythm-machine[/spoiler]

renfield

Very easiest would probably be to pull up Youtube on your phone if you have a way of amping it.

I dunno if you have an apple computer but I most often use my cracked copy of Logic for drum loops. The AI drum machine in that software is so fucking cool and easy to use. Instead of spending hours painstakingly sequencing drum hits on a grid you can just drag a "Fills" slider all the way to the right.

Drawback is it can be harder to get exactly what you want. Nonetheless for someone like me who doesn't have the patience to fiddle a lot with a drum machine, it's been an easy way to coax out some pretty lifelike sounding drums to play along with:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ctdMI7Srb55n9cCDYLre5HeZ_UlcFDRZ/view?usp=sharing

Lumpy

I hate hardware drum machines like the Alesis SR16. Just looking at it, I never thought "yeah I want to play with that!".  Instruments shouldn't look like a big calculator, or an answering machine.

I had one, never used it, sold it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

Have you upgraded your phone and still have the old model around? load it with drum apps. Use youtube also. If not, use your current phone, but make sure to use airplane mode so you don't get interrupted.

If you want to take the time to write out drum and percussion parts (and many other instruments) on your computer, Tuxguitar works great for that. I've made some sick drum parts that way.

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on August 29, 2020, 06:24:29 AM
I hate hardware drum machines like the Alesis SR16. Just looking at it, I never thought "yeah I want to play with that!".  Instruments shouldn't look like a big calculator, or an answering machine.

I had one, never used it, sold it.

Justin Broderick disagrees.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

I personally don't have the patience to learn those interfaces well enough to be able to wield them organically/musically, but utmost respect to those who do!

beer

Thanks for the replies. You've got my old wheels turning.

RAGER

I've got a Korg EMX1, Korg SX, and a Volca beats. They're all fairly cheap stand alone. Volca us probably not what you're after but the other two will do what you want.
No Focus Pocus

socket

I had a Korg ES-1 that was fun. DR-1 is cool, too. A friend had some Roland thing when I was in high school. I think the one NIN used for Pretty Hate Machine. That thing was weird.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

Was a t one of those CR ones?  1000 or 5000?  Not an 808 probably.
No Focus Pocus

socket

It was an R-70, so the NIN thing is false but was still fun to play with. Released in 92.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Lumpy

Quote from: renfield on August 29, 2020, 02:39:14 PM
I personally don't have the patience to learn those interfaces well enough to be able to wield them organically/musically, but utmost respect to those who do!

Me too, I don't have the patience. For the people who can do it, that's great.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

I, as well, will have none of that.