Self defense for when you play shows

Started by bbottom, May 12, 2021, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Kind of a weird question. But do you, or anyone in your band take any kind of self-defense weapon with you when you play shows? Be it a gun, pepper spray or whatever?
I've played some really REALLY shitty venues and it's something that I've often thought about as we're loading our gear in and out of some of these places.

mortlock

I always have a spiderco tactical knife on me. When we used to tour we had a small bat in the van but it wasnt really necessary as the one dude in the band was a psycho fuck who would love the opportunity to kill someone (again?).

neighbor664

You can do a lot of damage with a guitar.

RAGER

I've never considered it.  But 3 of the many times I've played Satyricon there was gun play outside. Once right before we loaded in. Once while we were playing and once while I was loading out and quickly jumped back inside. Eeesh. That was when old town was sketchy as fuck.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Imma send you something to read regarding Chris Newman. Don't think anybody else would bother to read it. Just like everyone disregarded Chris' massive contribution to underground music as a whole and especially in this region long before anybody in Mudhoney ever thought about picking up a guitar.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Please do, I've been listenening to him all week since his passing. Man, the dude was super talented. As big as any of the big hitters from PNW, maybe bigger.

ps. the one time I got in an almost serious skuffle loading out my ferocious and hot (looking and headed) girlfriend stepped in. Love that mix-mexi blood. She took care of the perp, took him offguard, with her sweet persuasion (right up in his face). That was a long time ago, these days we'd probably run.

Danny G

I know bands that travel with a gun. There are usually pocketknives around. One drummer I did a string of shows with won the first season of Forged in Fire and always had a home brew knife on his belt. There's always a prybar or tire iron handy. I always have a big MagLite under my seat.

The only time I ever *specifically* needed a weapon at a show just in case was a show I teched for Kings X in San Antonio.

Crew leader gathered us all around and said "The letter guy is here."

Letter guy in the past had sent some unhinged and even threatening letters to Ty Tabor. So everyone on our skeleton crew was asked to keep a knife on them. While briefing us a good friend of crew leader mentioned "I have a gun in my car. If you need me to get it, say the word."

We were ordered to keep an eye on him but *do not provoke or engage him in any way*

Luckily nothing happened. They were very very good friends with Dimebag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

That guy should've had an "accident".
No Focus Pocus