Gear showoff/BDE thread

Started by James1214, January 14, 2023, 04:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

So I've totally entered the gear hoarding/collecting phase of my life and am in the process of converting my barn into a studio and finally got almost everything that I'm not using for my main band in one place. Here's most of the amps that have been crammed into a closet or otherwise wiled away unable to be used for 2 years all together..... Still have an additional Acoustic full stack and an Earth B2000/Kustom 315 stack at the rehearsal spot that I'll bring home in due time.

What cool shit y'all got kicking around?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Submarine

Quote from: James1214 on January 14, 2023, 04:32:41 PM
Here's most of the amps that have been crammed into a closet .....
I can hear the volume through the picture.  ;D

James1214

The nitty gritty.

On the left side is:

69 Peavey Concert with original Altec 15" speaker.

1973 Acoustic 150 combo (originally had a 130, previous owner swapped in the 150, was a trash score, had no speakers so I put a quad of Jensen's in it, sounds killer)

In the middle:

The amp with silver grillcloth is a handwired 15 watt kit I built about 10 years ago. Has a Champ, Princeton, Harvard and Deluxe all in one box. It is also the loudest damn 15 watts I've ever heard. It goes into my Sunn 212 (bottom cab also with silver grillcloth)

The Acoustic cab in the middle is a modern bass 410, It doesn't blow my socks off, but was another freebie.

Right side:

Top head is a '75 Acoustic 450, in need of a tune up, does the thing real well.

Bottom head is my trusty '73 Acoustic 230, which is the guitar version of a 220, basically they added a bright switch, reverb, and a master volume. Was my first ACC amp and I love it.

Late 80's Ampeg 810-HPC, the first piece of "real" amplification I ever got. Scored for $225 back in 2004 from a dude in Oakland. Turns out it's a pretty desirable cab, has 2 horns, 7 of the original Eden speakers + 1 tone tubby replacement. Traveled all around the country, played a few hundred shows and recorded a bunch of records with it over the years. Beat to shit, but has all the mojo I could ever hope for.

words

Muffin Man

Neat gear.

Was wondering about that 15" Peavey. I might kinda need one of those for keyboards.

That Champ project is cool - is it class A? does it ever blow tubes...if not, you must have a knack for dialing it in since it also so loud. I had a T.H.D. prototype all class A but it was unstable living on the edge (was shown around but knowingly on the edge and not to be marketed being so wild) and blew some of my NOS tubes. Man, it.was.loud. Super cool amp too. It was on loan and went back but eventually became ( I think) a Univalve variant. But that Champ has gotta be a gem maybe in the same vein, I'd guess.

That 8x10 sure has the "hello, I'm here" look to it.

Congratulations on building-out the space!

James1214

Muffin, the early Peavey Concerts (of that era) are  pretty rare, I scored mine at a local thrift shop for a steal. It's the first combo they ever made, they were custom orders and came as a 410, diagonal 212, or a 115. It's pretty damn cool.

Re: the kit build. It's a discontinued kit from BYOC called the Tweed Royal. It's class A, but I haven't had to replace any tubes yet, and I took it to my tech after I built it to take care of all the the tweaks and final adjustments. To be fair its probably had maybe 150-200 hours max play time since I built it, most of that on 1.5-2. maybe a 20 hours at 7-ish.l, which seems to be the sweet spot. 

words

Muffin Man

James! thanks, that Peavey history is delish. My best ever recording of a guitar amp was a Classic 50 2x12 (James Brown design) 1990's era, fake tweed, EL84s the works! totally miss it. Awfully heavy though. I had a VTM-120 too - a massive tank and a flamethrower to boot. That 1x15 is so cool to see.

ps. the Classic 50 had the gorgeous clean tones, mainly. Classic rock too though. 100% reliable.

Pissy

I might put my trash together today for a family photo.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

James1214

That's what I'm talking about. What's the yellow box on the orange stack?

words

Muffin Man

Ultimate load box (only know because I have one, it's obscure)

FFS what a spread, Mind-blown

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/reviews/ultimate-attenuator-review

Muffin Man

Rager, those are beautiful photos.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

a diabolical portense, fiendish!

Wow!

Nice glass, good eye.

Muffin Man

those colors are bangin' and the lighting is titty. whoa! OMG

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

James1214

I don't need help man...... YOU need help, I'm fine.....

words

RAGER

Quote from: James1214 on January 16, 2023, 11:36:09 PM
That's what I'm talking about. What's the yellow box on the orange stack?

Yeah what muffin said. Ultimate attenuator. I had the guy that designed it (Brian Ho) build me another one with a bright switch. It's the unmarked box on top of the Plush.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

What do you like about it?

words

RAGER

I can play my Orange without going even more deaf.  Lol. The Marshall has a master volume as of a few years ago.

The thing about the Orange is that it's damn near as loud on 3 as it is flat out just thinner and like ear spikes. It roars at full on. No dirt pedals needed. But is just crazy loud. That attenuator doesn't suck the tone out.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

I meant more that specific attenuator over others. It seems to be pretty reasonably priced. Is it the fact that it doesn't change the tone?

words

RAGER

It was the best of the best at the time. I tried a few others like Hotplates and Rockcrusher and one other I can't remember. Done of the others had notched settings that either made it too much or too little and sucked tone to my ears. These have a variable potentiometer to dial in what I want. They are reactive load, work with any impedance and are good over 100 watts. Don't fall for the cheapo passive types.

Or really, if you have a 100 watt tube monster get a master volume installed. From what I've been told by a couple techs is they don't work well on the old Oranges hence the attenuator.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

I'll probably need something for my Earth b2000 which is currently my only 100 watt tube amp. It really only gets the girth and saturation I like at painful volume levels.

I'll get more pics on here  as the space develops and the gear moves in. Ordering drywall today for delivery next week. Excitied to get the ball rolling again.

words

Stonergrunge

The "guitargeek" version of my gear:

My actual gear:

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love