What are YOU up to, DIY/projectwise? Ask for help?

Started by VOLVO))), February 16, 2013, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Excuse the shitty joints, Those eyelets are hard to fill and make nice.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

The Shocker

I fixed up an old mountain bike and sold it. Guitar wise? Still procrastinating on a Yamaha SGB 200 that needs to be refinished.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

so whatcha makin' there?. I love blue stripes on meg resistors  heh. 220 is cool too 3 red stripes.
looks like a 10k input impedance something that runs on <14v or so.  what are the diodes for? chopping the bottom half of the signal? is this some kind of effect?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: jibberish on February 17, 2013, 04:41:48 PM
so whatcha makin' there?. I love blue stripes on meg resistors  heh. 220 is cool too 3 red stripes.
looks like a 10k input impedance something that runs on <14v or so.  what are the diodes for? chopping the bottom half of the signal? is this some kind of effect?

Zvex SHO clone, I wanted to build one to reference a real one, so I can start using it as a platform for something I want to build!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Danny G

I recently modified my DIY EA tremolo.

The rate pot was so sensitive as to be useless (and easy to hit by accident when stomping it on/off) and the depth pot I never use.

With tremolo disengaged (turning it full to right or left) the volume boost makes it great for solos.

So I swapped the rate pot with a trim pot sticking out of existing hole, stashed the gain knob inside the pedal (connected to too many things for me to figure out how to take out of circuit) and in its place added a toggle switch to go from tremolo pedal to lead boost by taking rate knob in n out of circuit.

Works great and am very pleased!

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

fallen

My GF has been playing a ton of ukulele lately but doesn't want to bring her vintage banjo/uke to my place or generally drag around town so I need to do a fret job on a cheap uke I have here.

Basically every fret is a different height, especially the third fret making a ton of chords unplayable.

Was going to just try woodblock and sandpaper since I don't think the neck has or needs a radius but any tips would be welcome.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: fallen on February 18, 2013, 11:15:28 PM
My GF has been playing a ton of ukulele lately but doesn't want to bring her vintage banjo/uke to my place or generally drag around town so I need to do a fret job on a cheap uke I have here.

Basically every fret is a different height, especially the third fret making a ton of chords unplayable.

Was going to just try woodblock and sandpaper since I don't think the neck has or needs a radius but any tips would be welcome.

Pretty much is set the neck flat, and grind them down with a flat thing. felt pen all the tops so you can see when you have got to the lowest one. Then round then all off and polish.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 19, 2013, 07:36:59 AM
Quote from: fallen on February 18, 2013, 11:15:28 PM

Pretty much is set the neck flat, and grind them down with a flat thing. felt pen all the tops so you can see when you have got to the lowest one. Then round then all off and polish.

600, 1000, 1200 grit, then finish with a dremel buffing wheel and jewelers rouge.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

da_qtip

Would anyone be willing to help someone who has no idea what they're doing?

I want to put a tone bypass switch on my Big Muff clone and have no real idea of how to do it. I asked an engineer friend of mine and he gave me an extravagant explanation and made schematics. I just want to know what to attach to what. I'll be using a DPDT switch

This here is the pedal
https://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bmp_rusg_sc.pdf
https://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bmp_rusg_lo.pdf

If someone could tell what to connect where as if you were explaining to a 5 year old (ex. connect left side of R2 to this DPDT connector) or draw a simple diagram over the layout page it would be very much appreciated.

mutantcolors

Pretty off topic but maybe not, I did have to build these. Models of a foot bridge redesign project.

Hand bent some 1/2" rod to a layout. The fun part was no glue joints allowed so I had to devise real mock up cable connections.

and the short span

jibberish

statics and dynamics are fascinating. I used to meditate on the structure of railroad bridges and what stresses are really on what elements. ps, I could destroy your bridge by shifting the two main arches parallel to each other. where is the triangular element that prevents that motion?   until those main beam ends get mounted on footers that bridge can break easily 

I dig how castles are put together with wedged stones, especially how they do crazy shit like spiral staircases etc.

all my audio products will survive the 10 foot cement drop test, speaking of dynamics annnnnnd wrapping around to back on topic. (tubes will not be part of this test). heh being a product mgr for 10yrs with an industrial electronics mfr gives me a huge leg up on running a product from conception thru final customer install/debug

moose23

Quote from: da_qtip on February 19, 2013, 06:43:46 PM

I want to put a tone bypass switch on my Big Muff clone and have no real idea of how to do it. I asked an engineer friend of mine and he gave me an extravagant explanation and made schematics. I just want to know what to attach to what. I'll be using a DPDT switch

This here is the pedal

If someone could tell what to connect where as if you were explaining to a 5 year old (ex. connect left side of R2 to this DPDT connector) or draw a simple diagram over the layout page it would be very much appreciated.

Here's a diagram of what your cutting out.

I can draw a proper diagram later with the GGG layout if you need.

dunwichamps

im building too many damn things for the minds of mere mortals to even comprehend

mutantcolors

Quote from: jibberish on February 20, 2013, 05:25:27 AM
statics and dynamics are fascinating. I used to meditate on the structure of railroad bridges and what stresses are really on what elements. ps, I could destroy your bridge by shifting the two main arches parallel to each other. where is the triangular element that prevents that motion?   until those main beam ends get mounted on footers that bridge can break easily 

1: just a model
2: Triangulation occurs via the varied angle of cross bracing, it has effectively become a truss, as at any angle, there are cross members acting in direct compression somewhere in the span. You can't move the arches, trust me. I tried. Plus large footings are in the design, I just don't need to model that part, that's what drawings are for.

It actually has some pretty elegant structural efficiencies, in that lateral forces are greatest at the ends of the arches, where they are farthest apart in the X direction, and vertical stress is greatest at the center, where they are farthest apart in the y direction. Effectively they act as one solid member, with ridiculous MoI at those critical points since 95% of the mass of the structure is located far from the neutral axis.

Yeah.

jibberish

that's interesting how all parallel trusses make the triangle when helixed. the bow in the main beam is golden for sure.
very nice. you play with fun toys too.

mutantcolors

School me mister structural engineer.

The functional state of these bridges in the real world indicates I am on to something.

mutantcolors

No, you're right. I apologize. My structures professor with 4 decades of experience is full of shit.

da_qtip

Quote from: moose23 on February 20, 2013, 06:05:42 AM
Quote from: da_qtip on February 19, 2013, 06:43:46 PM

This here is the pedal

Here's a diagram of what your cutting out.

I can draw a proper diagram later with the GGG layout if you need.

If you could draw one with the GGG layout it would be fantastic, but I'll do my best with that schematic. Thanks!

showdown

The Bandit

I have this aversion to pine - from raking pine straw all the time when I was a kid.  Wouldn't it be too soft a wood?

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

poop.