What are YOU up to, DIY/projectwise? Ask for help?

Started by VOLVO))), February 16, 2013, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the diddler

the diddler

Oh, and the one DIY thing I think I have going now is some beer brewing.  Made up a batch with a buddy a few weeks ago- we bottle tonight.  I'll probably write back in a stupor later

VOLVO)))

Oooo homemade beer? I see a lot of that happening recently, what's up with that?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Bandit

Dudes with way more time on their hands than me.  Shit, home brewing is still illegal here (I think).

VOLVO)))

Let's do it, Deaner Brew, comes already roofie'd  ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

the diddler

Yeah- seems to be a huge craft brewing thing going on the last few years.  Tons of small breweries popping up everywhere in the PNW.  I'm actually working on a business plan to open a bottle shop- my buddy wants to get into brewing so I helped him out, though I probably won't go too far into that part of it myself.  Too much fucking work, though I do love the results.

jibberish

hey mutant, who are you talking to. who said your stuff is full of shit? just making observations on stuff that is interesting

I just was thinking parallel equal length struts would shift if the ends weren't nailed down. like your 1st pic in the second set. zero to stop parallel main strut slide except the end anchors.

are the cross struts on your bridge all equal length or a gradiation of lengths? heh, I see the different length struts like in your later pic where there is no way that can shift, but im having a hard time seeing how equal lengths would all be at the same angle normal to the force that should fold them all over with the same motion.

ok, is the thing that stops the motion  that when the two asymmetric main beams shift, all parts of the main beams do not move parallel with each other? or what?

actually bridge 1 is a bad design. that could fall over sideways. if the ends shifted, it would fold. it has structural integrity in the downward direction only. do you see what i'm talking about?

btw, idk what that lined out text is, some copy-typo w/e

James1214

this shit is gonna be pic heavy, but i hope peeps enjoy

i've been learning blacksmithing, at the same time i have been doing pre-production and prop making for a short film

so i decided to combine the two and make a prop, a sacrifical dagger

here goes

after a helluva lot of hammering and grinding

handle wrapped, with brass accent

leather stretched and shaped using a form made from a scrap piece of shaped corian (work with it everyday in my job)

some dye

first brass accent piece braised and rough-ground

thats where im at right now
words

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

jibberish

^that knife crafting is neat too.

I was going to post and ask mutant to start up the thread of DIY in general discussion about his cool little bridge. I will stop with the off-music-topic conversations here.

James1214

Quote from: I,Galactus on February 22, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
:o DIY blacksmithing = /thread

ahhh naw man. its really just feeble attempts at this point. I have yet to even approach a real knowledge of it. its mostly an exercise in drinking some beers and playing around. the thing I like about the blacksmithing is that it excites the same creative part of my brain as playing music, with the rhythm and thinking on your feet, rolling with the punches and paying attention to what's going on around you.
words

mutantcolors

Quote from: jibberish on February 22, 2013, 02:10:44 PM
hey mutant, who are you talking to. who said your stuff is full of shit? just making observations on stuff that is interesting

I just was thinking parallel equal length struts would shift if the ends weren't nailed down. like your 1st pic in the second set. zero to stop parallel main strut slide except the end anchors.

are the cross struts on your bridge all equal length or a gradiation of lengths? heh, I see the different length struts like in your later pic where there is no way that can shift, but im having a hard time seeing how equal lengths would all be at the same angle normal to the force that should fold them all over with the same motion.

ok, is the thing that stops the motion  that when the two asymmetric main beams shift, all parts of the main beams do not move parallel with each other? or what?

actually bridge 1 is a bad design. that could fall over sideways. if the ends shifted, it would fold. it has structural integrity in the downward direction only. do you see what i'm talking about?

btw, idk what that lined out text is, some copy-typo w/e

The whole crossed out text thing is where you calling me full of shit vibe came from. I'll go with it being a typo...

The ends don't shift. They're designed to be embedded in solid basalt with enormous concrete footings that I have drawn up. I just didn't care to model the rod going beyond ground level and embedding in a cliff. Lateral forces are not particularly strong on 2 48" pipes hanging out in the wind anyway. It's a pair of footbridges, so vertical loads are the main concern, but not even that large.

Maybe you're not seeing something right which, if that's the case, is good for me because I was going after a form that might not make sense from every angle. The bridges are essentially identical except in scale, but it's only clear how the arches cross from the longitudinal view, as if you were a pedestrian approaching it.

Jake

poop.

VOLVO)))

wow, Y'all niggas are good.

Jake, DIY relic tutorial plz

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

Quote from: James1214 on February 22, 2013, 02:11:00 PM
this shit is gonna be pic heavy, but i hope peeps enjoy

i've been learning blacksmithing, at the same time i have been doing pre-production and prop making for a short film

so i decided to combine the two and make a prop, a sacrifical dagger

here goes

after a helluva lot of hammering and grinding

handle wrapped, with brass accent

leather stretched and shaped using a form made from a scrap piece of shaped corian (work with it everyday in my job)

some dye

first brass accent piece braised and rough-ground

thats where im at right now

Very cool, keep posting your work I like it.  You ever get over to bladeforums.com?  they would really dig that over there.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

showdown

Quote from: The Bandit on February 22, 2013, 10:02:14 AM
I have this aversion to pine - from raking pine straw all the time when I was a kid.  Wouldn't it be too soft a wood?

It IS very soft, you can dent it just with a hard look, but this is made from a cheap (free) construction grade 2x8". This is only my second guitar build so I don't want to screw up good lumber :) If it turns out to be a usable guitar I'm happy. If not, I have lots more pine to practice on.

James1214

thanks spook, I'll check that place out.

here's another project I'm working on. its a bow. just got a package of artificial sinew to make the string. it is just under 6 feet long, made of red oak. I have 2 remaining steps before she shoots, and yes... I will also be making arrows and forging bronze heads for them.

words

Mr. Foxen

That Kramer neck is sat on my radiator warming up before I jam it in my check freezer and try and thermally shock the wood and fingerboard off it.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

VOLVO)))

Just chip it off, Oli. It comes off easy, it's hard as fuck, so it's brittle. Heat gun it?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Gotta get the wood inserts out too, hoping a good ping will have them out complete to use as patterns. Want to avoid risking gouing the metalwork too, ali is pretty soft.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 26, 2013, 09:56:59 PM
Gotta get the wood inserts out too, hoping a good ping will have them out complete to use as patterns. Want to avoid risking gouing the metalwork too, ali is pretty soft.

Heat gun will do that too, How much filler is around those wood inserts? Mine has an atrocious amount.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

James1214

more brazing, needs a little cleanup and a lot of fitting so the hilt matches perfectly..... bug its one step closer to completion

words