Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 23, 2012, 10:47:16 PM
File the Fuzz Factory into "Things that Jake warned Dean about but Dean didn't listen." ;D ;D

I'm hardheaded.  So that means you don't want it?   ;)

The Shocker

The spree continues!

Based on the Ibanez Overdrive OD850 so it is pretty fuzzy.

http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/2011/04/maxon-d-od-801-vs-ibanez-overdrive-od.html

VOLVO)))

Quote from: The Shocker on April 24, 2012, 07:52:18 AM
File the Fuzz Factory into "Things that Jake warned Dean about but Dean didn't listen." ;D ;D

I mean, I'll try to make it sound good, if that's what you mean... I'm sure I can find away to add balls.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 26, 2012, 11:06:47 PM
Quote from: The Shocker on April 24, 2012, 07:52:18 AM

I mean, I'll try to make it sound good, if that's what you mean... I'm sure I can find away to add balls.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 26, 2012, 11:06:47 PM
This sounds like a job for the Mod's thread we started a while back.

Assuming this schematic is correct, the first thing that jumps out at you is the big 10uF in and out, and then the small 100nF in the middle. Also not sure why that 220K is on the output jack?

VOLVO)))

So, bigger the cap, the less bass comes through, oi?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Other way about. Bigger the cap the more bass comes through.

VOLVO)))

Any math involved?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Tons ;D

-or-

disconnect 220K resistor on output, see how it sounds

clip a 470nF or 1uF capacitor across the 100nF (caps in parallel add together, so you don't need to desolder, just twist it or clip it in place) see how it sounds.

etc.

VOLVO)))

;) this should be fun.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

nonoman

Seymour Duncan quarter pound strat. Woke my Chinese Squier right up!
No good deed goes unpunished.

dunwichamps

replace that 220k with a 1meg

Hemisaurus

Not just lose it? Surely the impedance of the amp input, or next effect down the line would be enough?

xayk

Quote from: dunwichamps on April 27, 2012, 06:29:46 PM

As lost as I often get, am I right in remembering that the cap + resistor to ground creates a high-pass filter?  So then a pot would make it a variable high-pass filter?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: xayk on April 27, 2012, 07:55:15 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on April 27, 2012, 06:29:46 PM

As lost as I often get, am I right in remembering that the cap + resistor to ground creates a high-pass filter?  So then a pot would make it a variable high-pass filter?
Yep, what is commonly called the tone knob

dunwichamps

Hemisaurus

The Blue amp? Or something you got?

The Blue has no mid, so it's not FMV and it's made by Electric not Matamp, but the scale seems off ???

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 27, 2012, 10:41:16 PM
The Blue amp? Or something you got?

The Blue has no mid, so it's not FMV and it's made by Electric not Matamp, but the scale seems off ???

Ihave schematic for ea mv120 it's a fmv the boost control is mids of fmv the added dc cf like a marshall

Hemisaurus

so the boost isn't a separate active element? in the old oranges the boost was an active mid, post volume or gain, on the cathode of the tube stage prior to the baxandall stack. fmv seems a copout.

dunwichamps

the boost was pot which adjusted how much an LC combination bypassed the driver stage before the cathodyne. Check orange amp field guide

In this design they did a few changes

They changed to FMV, and then added a DC follower off stage 2 which is not unbypassed. Boost is Mids

Added a PPIMV

Dropped the Drive control, good call its dumb IMO

converted presence to a vox hi cut control, because feedback based presence controls dont work well with PPIMVs

Also some changes in the preamp filtering and design

So its not a 100% original design, its more like a modified GT120 designed to get a lot of gain without adding any additional stages to the amp, just exploiting the fact that a FMV with a follower has much much less loss than a Baxandall stack does. However, it is not a Matamp clone by any means at all. Its actually a really well designed amp for the tone its going for.

clockwork green

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

you mean the cathode bypass pre stack, not the driver stage surely?

on rhe second stage, prior to the baxandall, you have your cathode resistor and bypass cap, and then another cap in series with a pot. It's an easy way to mess with the cathode bypass caps value.

when you say not unbypassed, you mean it is bypassed?

why not just post the schemo?

Hemisaurus

I should add, I'm thinking of the 'real' Orange, schemo, for the Leads. They took the slave chassis, which was basically everything from phase inverter on, and added a preamp on a piece of angle iron on the front panel. It had 3 stages, used two 12AX7's. Don't see it on the Orange FG.

Boost was cathode bypass on second stage, then the tone stack, and echo send/return and another stage before it sent the signal through the chassis connector to the phase inverter.