Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Yessir, that's the Fender. There's a Squier version with the creme/gold color scheme.

The latter is better suited for my fragile masculine ego. And my wallet.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0301060
poop.

RacerX

I see. Nice!

Too many switches on those contraptions. I prefer the Blacktop model:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-blacktop-jazzmaster-hs-electric-guitar/h61569000002001?src=3WWRWXGB&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLKZw-nBlLACFQUGRQodlg191Q

If it came in a hardtail model, I'd be all over that shoot.
Livin' The Life.

AgentofOblivion

50th Anniversary of a 1960 ES-335.  I fucking love it.  I've been (stupidly) gigging with it but can't imagine NOT playing the damn thing. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

VOLVO)))

Gorgeous Gibby.

Am I the only one that thinks the blacktop series feels like cheap garbage? The only one that felt worth a damn to me was the Baritele...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

That's a shame about the Blacktop series, Sunn.  I haven't played any in person, and had hopes they'd be good.  Oh well.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

RacerX

Same here. Haven't actually played one yet, but I'd like to.

I already know fer damn sure that I don't like the regular Jazzmasters.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Ive played the Jazzmaster, and the teles. They feel.. thin. I don't know how to explain it, they just felt sluggish and weak... not in sound, but in general. Hopefully somebody understands that...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

cat shepard

http://www.elliottguitarsnc.com/gallery/

These are pretty awesome but I can't afford one, i've just seen them at gigs i've worked.

liquidsmoke

Got the Behringer Super Fuzz and I'm sure most of you know all about this thing already but to me it sounds like old Electric Wizard in a pedal only a shitty version instead of the awesome version on the albums. This is kind of what I remember hearing years back about the original Boss unit. Running it into an eq helps somewhat and I'm guessing that the right overdrive would help even more. Oh well.

Mehringer  ;D

I imagine other companies have made similar pedals that sound better but I'm not in the market right now to spend actual money on something for that tone. Maybe down the road.

VOLVO)))

Sigh, don't you understand the processes called MASTERING and POST-PROCESSING?

Frankly, the SF300 sounds dead on to the Boss, and Boss, with the proper EQ on the amp sounds damn close to the album. So does the Guyatone fuzz. So does the Foxx tone machine, somewhat. So does the superfuzz.

Just because YOU can't do it, doesn't mean it's the pedal's fault.  3:45 in the video, it's actually a very awesome sounding pedal.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I watched an a/b video with the boss and the Behr before ordering and couldn't tell the difference. I know it can be made to sound good, I've owned Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone for a long time. Yes mastering, post-processing, etc. Perhaps my amp isn't the best match though. Totally not the pedal's fault. Maybe you missed my  ;D  I was a bit harsh on the unit in that last post and that was dumb but I have heard before that it's hard to dial in and I agree, at least with my set up. I'll probably fuck with it some more this weekend. I got it because it was cheap and I was curious. I had no intention of using it with my band but if I can dial it in better and have time in the future it might be fun to use for some derivative sludgy doom type stuff. I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't lots of EW clones using it but maybe there are and I just haven't heard them.

moose23

clockwork green

Get an FZ-2, you'll be happier. Your experience with it is the only thing that should matter.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Jake

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 23, 2012, 03:09:53 AM
Perhaps my amp isn't the best match though.

I can't defend a pedal I've never heard, but I can attest to just how true this is.

An example: I came on here gushing about a Swollen Pickle fuzz that I picked up last year. Biggest, baddest fuzz I've heard in a looooong time, despite the general internet apathy surrounding them. Now I've come to realize that a huge part of the what was making everything sound so gravy was the JCM800 that was behind it. The Pickle just sounds sorta okay-ish with other amps, no matter how I try to recreate what the Marshall was doing.
poop.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: clockwork green on May 23, 2012, 08:47:07 AM
Get an FZ-2, you'll be happier. Your experience with it is the only thing that should matter.

The youtube comparisons I've heard were identical but if I was really into these things I would spend the extra cash for the Boss for sure because it's metal. I felt like I almost broke the Behringer simply taking the top off and putting it back on to put a battery in it.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 23, 2012, 11:46:09 PM
Quote from: clockwork green on May 23, 2012, 08:47:07 AM

The youtube comparisons I've heard were identical but if I was really into these things I would spend the extra cash for the Boss for sure because it's metal. I felt like I almost broke the Behringer simply taking the top off and putting it back on to put a battery in it.
Y'know it's discontinued, right? There's one on ebay $88 and 3 days of bidding left, good luck  ;)

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Jake on May 23, 2012, 10:02:56 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 23, 2012, 03:09:53 AM
Perhaps my amp isn't the best match though.

I can't defend a pedal I've never heard, but I can attest to just how true this is.

An example: I came on here gushing about a Swollen Pickle fuzz that I picked up last year. Biggest, baddest fuzz I've heard in a looooong time, despite the general internet apathy surrounding them. Now I've come to realize that a huge part of the what was making everything sound so gravy was the JCM800 that was behind it. The Pickle just sounds sorta okay-ish with other amps, no matter how I try to recreate what the Marshall was doing.

Interesting. I'll try the Behr with my newly acquired Ampeg SS.

Side note, the Laney GH(my only tube amp) is sometimes said to be very similar sounding to the JCM800 but with more gain.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 23, 2012, 11:50:03 PM
Y'know it's discontinued, right? There's one on ebay $88 and 3 days of bidding left, good luck  ;)

Yes for over 10 years now.

Dude..

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 23, 2012, 11:46:09 PM
The youtube comparisons I've heard were identical but if I was really into these things I would spend the extra cash for the Boss for sure because it's metal.

But thanks for the heads up. I priced them the other week also.

Hemisaurus

I've found simpler, unbuffered, fuzzes, boosts and OD's, work well with tubes. I prefer them to the SF300 on simple tube amps, though it's OK with overcomplicated tube amps, Nick, do you need a new thesis topic? ;D

liquidsmoke

Not sure I'll ever own a "simple" tube amp(less/no gain knobs, PTP?) as they seem to go for a lot of money. Okay perhaps in the future I will get the Boss if I just REALLY need that EW tone and can't get it no way no how after further tweaking the Behr.

Hemisaurus

Simple Tube Amp == Any tube amp that doesn't use a pile of op-amps in it. So JCM800 simple, JCM900 complicated. Bugera 1960 simple, 1990 complicated. etc.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 24, 2012, 07:23:51 AM
Simple Tube Amp == Any tube amp that doesn't use a pile of op-amps in it. So JCM800 simple, JCM900 complicated. Bugera 1960 simple, 1990 complicated. etc.

Ah. I know next to nothing about this stuff. Do op-amps sometimes replace tubes in pre-amps?

Hemisaurus

More they get used with the tubes, it's easier to mess with EQ in gratuitous ways ie. boost it, using op-amps. In the below schematic, the op-amps are the big triangles, the tubes are the circles with the dotted lines.

The signal has to go through a few op-amps before it hit's a tube, I find they don't always react well to a simple fuzz, but an SF300, FZ2 or Muff, sounds fine, as they have a buffer on the output, and sound similar on any type of amp input.

For comparison, here is the SuperLead JCM800

bitter

Ohhh, I thought an op-amp was what happened when a tech legally change an amp over from tube to solid state  :-[

I guess that's a post-op-amp  ;D

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

liquidsmoke