Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

+1 what Rager said, I think those big shit bass heads aren't done any justice by insufficient cabs. It's not a problem, it's unjust that you aren't rearranging your neighbors furniture with that thing.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

That shit aint cheap and I'm sure he's workin up to it.  Gotta start somewhere.  A 1x15 to me just doesn't push any air and just wouldn't cut it for me unless you're playing some pretty quiet stuff.  Me?  I need a couple 15's and an 8x10 and more than one amp. ;)
No Focus Pocus

bbottom

Quote from: RAGER on April 05, 2013, 12:39:01 PM
That shit aint cheap and I'm sure he's workin up to it.  Gotta start somewhere.  A 1x15 to me just doesn't push any air and just wouldn't cut it for me unless you're playing some pretty quiet stuff.  Me?  I need a couple 15's and an 8x10 and more than one amp. ;)

I just dropped a ton of dough on the rig and a brand new Ric so I'm going to chill on the gear buying for now.
I've owned a ton of different cabs over the years. In fact the last one that I had was an Ampeg 8x10. And while I love LOVE massive cabs...... that shit ain't easy to move around. I also drive a new Ford Fiesta and it became a nightmare getting that 8 10 in and out of that thing.

Once I get some more fundage (not to mention a band) I'll probably get another 115.

RAGER

Oh yeah.  I remember you lamenting on what to get to fit in the roller skate of a car. :D  My 8x10 is of the first generation variety.  1969 straight up rectangular fridge with no tilt back or towel bar.  Just a couple plastic handles you might find on a combo amp.  Everybody grumbles when I say I'm using it for the show.  Cuz there's usually another cab or 2.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Fuck a buncha tilt back and wheels. Those came with caster pads.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Yep.  You just gotta man up and grab hold a the summbitch.  had one guy say "oh let me go get a handtruck"  PUSSY!  Just get ahold of it Marge!
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Ive carried one of those myself at one time or another, shoulderd it and had my girlfriend at the time keep it balanced while i got it up a few stairs.

Bass player was being a baby, and  showed up late and drunk. I don't fuck around. I treated him like a child all night.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Quote from: RAGER on April 05, 2013, 12:50:29 PM
Oh yeah.  I remember you lamenting on what to get to fit in the roller skate of a car. :D 

ha. Yea the cab was a fucking nightmare getting in and out of that car but Some how I did it. I beat up the interior doing it but I made it happen.

Metal and Beer

I can carry a 4x12 in each hand and 8x10 fridges up and down flights of stairs alone no sweat, so when musicians bitch about gear loading I really lay on the heat, haha. I remind 'em there are folks that lift shit like this for eight hours a day,  they can do it for eight fucking minutes. "But my back, my hands!!" Fuck off !  ;D

Disclaimer in fairness: I'm bigger than most cats, especially wispy musicians, I'm mostly bustin' balls   ;)

That Rick and head look tasty, the 1x15 (?) is probably great for that room and recording, but I'm sure you know it wouldn't work live (in most circumstances)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Mr. Foxen

Seems even with one of the loudest production cabs available, 30w amp with little transformers probably isn't enough for what I do. Nice for living room jamming until someone buys it though. Sounds pretty good.

moose23

Quote from: Metal and Beer on April 06, 2013, 08:48:51 AM
I can carry a 4x12 in each hand and 8x10 fridges up and down flights of stairs alone no sweat, so when musicians bitch about gear loading I really lay on the heat, haha. I remind 'em there are folks that lift shit like this for eight hours a day,  they can do it for eight fucking minutes. "But my back, my hands!!" Fuck off !  ;D

Disclaimer in fairness: I'm bigger than most cats, especially wispy musicians, I'm mostly bustin' balls   ;)

That Rick and head look tasty, the 1x15 (?) is probably great for that room and recording, but I'm sure you know it wouldn't work live (in most circumstances)

I'm a slight 11 and half stone and 6' 1" but years of working in construction/furniture means I can carry cabs and amps no problem. Not sure I could balance an 8x10 though, especially not theses days. Still I've always enjoyed being a skinny fucker with with more lifting ability than most..

bbottom

Quote from: Metal and Beer on April 06, 2013, 08:48:51 AM

Trust me it would work live. And if it didn't, then someone needs to turn the fuck down. Loud does not always equal good. That being said...... this thing is really fucking loud

VOLVO)))

Is it a Middy Lemmy-type loud or a low loud?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 06, 2013, 12:41:37 PM

mid loud.

One of the big reasons why I bought an Orange 15 instead of something else was because they don't sound like a typical 15. They are surprisingly cutting even though they don't have a horn. The Ric also helps this and the OX fuzz isn't a low messy sounding fuzz.

The interesting thing will be down the road when I either build or buy a bass with a mudbucker in it. I've been listening to a lot of Grand Funk lately and I have semi GAS for a bass like Mel Schacher.

Fender jazz bass with a Gibson Mudbucker

Instant Dan

I need to buy a computer and save my money, due to owing the IRS money, but instead I just bought this.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

that mockingbird is nice. my future LP with a whammy bar problem solution. still haven't stumbled across one yet, but I have watched since someone mentioned that as an option oh so long ago.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

heytrid

1977 Gibson RD Custom, intact factory electronics, production #6

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: bbottom on April 06, 2013, 04:52:43 PM

mid loud.

One of the big reasons why I bought an Orange 15 instead of something else was because they don't sound like a typical 15. They are surprisingly cutting even though they don't have a horn. The Ric also helps this and the OX fuzz isn't a low messy sounding fuzz.

The interesting thing will be down the road when I either build or buy a bass with a mudbucker in it. I've been listening to a lot of Grand Funk lately and I have semi GAS for a bass like Mel Schacher.

I always have semi GAS when I listen to Grand Funk, especially when I put on The Red Album and Got This Thing On The Move starts playing, the moment that bass comes in, wowza.
Didn't he used wrong tubes in his West amplifier (normal: 4 x KT88) so that they overloaded by mere hours and he had a tech changing tubes instantly, even at gigs, wearing heating protecting gloves? Maybe that's just an urban legend..
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

moose23

Quote from: heytrid on April 10, 2013, 01:40:31 AM
1977 Gibson RD Custom, intact factory electronics, production #6

That's a beauty.

moose23

One of the coils and a few of the frets are fucked but it were very cheap.

bbottom

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on April 10, 2013, 04:21:59 AM
Quote from: bbottom on April 06, 2013, 04:52:43 PM

mid loud.

I always have semi GAS when I listen to Grand Funk, especially when I put on The Red Album and Got This Thing On The Move starts playing, the moment that bass comes in, wowza.
Didn't he used wrong tubes in his West amplifier (normal: 4 x KT88) so that they overloaded by mere hours and he had a tech changing tubes instantly, even at gigs, wearing heating protecting gloves? Maybe that's just an urban legend..

I've heard that before as well. Not sure how true it is though