Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 01, 2014, 11:42:06 PM
If they both sell, I'm going to use that money to buy more shit to fix and sell.

This is how it begins.

RacerX

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on April 02, 2014, 02:25:09 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on April 01, 2014, 11:42:06 PM
If they both sell, I'm going to use that money to buy more shit to fix and sell.

This is how it begins.

Methinx this is more of a backsliding than a beginning.
Livin' The Life.

mutantcolors

Got me a 9 piece fiberglass kit today, well 8 plus some rando snare, with 6 stands and a hat pedal. 4 bills. 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 24.

I plan on setting up some weirdness. Fun to be had for sure.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on April 02, 2014, 02:27:44 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on April 02, 2014, 02:25:09 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on April 01, 2014, 11:42:06 PMIf they both sell, I'm going to use that money to buy more shit to fix and sell.

This is how it begins.

Methinx this is more of a backsliding than a beginning.

Yeah, definitely been doing this a while. :-D

Got out of it for a bit, though.

Jealous about that kit, what did you pay?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Best sound I ever had was from a kick, snare and 4 roto toms. Not to brag my shit up but I can and will make it sound amazing.

Twas $400 for everything.

AgentofOblivion

Long time back someone posted a link to the Wilson Freaker Wah and it blew my socks off.  Had never heard of the parapedal.  Well I bought one and got it a week or so ago.  Still learning how to adapt to its extreme settings and can't tell what the fuck the knobs are doing since they have the industry-demanded vague terms like "quack", but it's cool.  Sounds way more extreme on clean than with overdrive, but I suppose that's to be expected.  Some day I want to get into doing youtube reviews of rare gear like this, but haven't had the motivation to get serious about it yet.

mutantcolors

My buddy got the drums home for me while I'm away. The snare failed (aka passed) the magnet test, confirmed chrome over brass. Good shit. On to the Guitar Center used website for the cymbal hunt.

Lumpy

WMD Geiger Counter, Civilian version. I need sound-manglers. Got one used for a nice price. The full sized ones seem a little too complicated, but that might need to happen some day.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

heytrid

Picked this up for cheap, ebony J-45. Had the headstock/neck repaired, Wasn't a complete break, was broken at the shop. Really wanted the burst style but for the price I was not going to pass it up.

brought it home, new strings, removed the cheesy tort pickguard. Now to decide if I want a batwing or tear drop pickguard (if any) in either white or pearl white....

Not sure what to do with my Epiphone Masterbuilt now though.

Pissy

While this isn't exactly new, I just finished fixing it to a playable condition.  Truss rod nut was stripped and the neck was way out of whack.  New nut, oiled the fretboard polished the frets, made sure it was intonated, and voila, I got a new toy that was just taking up space before.  1985 G&L El Toro.  Kind of a rare bird, but this one has been gutted so it doesn't have much collectors value.  The stock pickups are impossible to find, as this was the only thing that housed them as far as i can tell.

Vinyls.   deal.

amadkins

92 jr. 500t in it; was looking for a p90 laden variant, but this one was priced well. Where's a good place to get pickup covers?

VOLVO)))

Guitar fetish had them drilled or undrilled.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

picked up an old ibanez ad9 delay pedal at the pawnshop for 150. It's pretty nice
CV - Slender Fungus

mulekicker

Just got one of these...HoofReaper fuzz. EQD Fuckin rules. That is all.

mortlock

I just picked up an EMG 35HZ bass pup that im about to put in my main bass. totally stoked for this mod..

BrianDamage

Supposed to be getting an Epiphone Eb-0 delivered today. If it is there when I get home from work I will post pics. Gonna try to get my Felix Pappalardi/Jack Bruce bass tone going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

BrianDamage

Alright here it is a day late (thanks fed ex). My new toy. This thing plays killer and totally sounds like the typical gibson bass tone which rules.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

RacerX

Nice. Cherry's my favorite Gibson color.
Livin' The Life.

eyeprod

the epi basses are a good deal. good price, plays well, and sounds great. I love my thunderbird. might have to paint it white or silver sparkle tho.

just picked up a little crate profiler 5, battery powered portable stereo amp through craiglist. for $45 this thing rules. it's got two little 4" speakers and loud enough to jam with a drum circle, which is why I bought it. it's got clean, med gain, and high gain amp profiles and the three separate effects, delay and reverb knobs are a useful feature. finally, it's got guitar strap pins on either side to make it even more portable. glad I bought it already. I used to have an old maxi-mouse battery powered amp that was kinda cool, but weighed a ton. It was rechargeable, but sounded like crap now that i think about it. this thing totally kicks it's ass
CV - Slender Fungus

everdrone

nice bass! I dig my epiphone thunderbird as well, cheers :)

AgentofOblivion

My GAS is becoming a problem.  It has advanced to a level never before, mainly due to funds that were never available before.  I tell myself, "After this there's really nothing left for me to want/get," which turns out to be a dirty lie.

I've recently done a lot of reading on the Strat Plus and Strat Ultra.  I want one.  When I was a young kid and had the new Fender catalogs my dream guitar was the ultra with the ebony fretboard, roller nut, and lace sensors.  I don't think I've ever even played with lace sensors but dammit I want to.  I found a hell of a deal on an Ultra and I'm going for it.  I figure if I can sell most of my shit at a profit down the line then it wasn't such a stupid decision.  Those Pluses and Ultras seem to just be going up and up in recent years.  You guys have any experience with them?

fallen

What year?

The first really good guitar I ever bought was a Deluxe Plus. The Lace pickups are nice, less pull on the strings so the sustain is excellent. The paint is worn off but I think mine has silver, gold and blue Lace in the bridge. Great sounding pickups but a little low output on the blue. I lucked out and got a swimming pool route on the body so swapping in a pickguard with dual humbuckers is a quick and easy switch for some more gain.

The old Wilkinson roller nut is horrible, the big wide one where you have to thread the string over a roller and then under another roller. Binds up on bigger strings. Avoid. The little roller nuts with the ball bearings are awesome. I don't know if HUGE strings work but I have a 56 in the low E and a 46 in the A with no problems.

Anyway I really like mine. I use the neck or middle pickup all the time and tune down as low as drop A with no modifications needed for intonation other than clipping the spring behind the low E string saddle.

AgentofOblivion

Cool, thanks for the advice.  The one I'm looking at is a '91.  It does have the original wilkinson roller, but I only use 9 gauge strings and play exclusively in standard or drop D tuning anyway, so string size won't be a concern.  I'm also interested from an investment perspective--I could probably sell it the next day for a $600 profit. 

But it's taken me a long time to figure out what I like and the recent trend of buying a bunch of shit and trying it out has really sped that process up.  For instance, I never realized how great a guitar could sound with one amp but be really "blah" with another.  I've also learned:  the materials of an electric instrument have at most a negligible influence on tone and should only be thought of from a comfort perspective and the real tone influencer of a guitar is the pickups, especially for you high gain fuckers.  That said, all the other stuff really affects the playability and comfort of a guitar.  I'll never buy a guitar I plan to play often that has a rosewood fretboard again--they collect too much junk and feel like shit.  Also, Gibson-style bridge/tailpiece design is shit, but so are most.  The damn purist out there wanting "vintage authenticity" are forcing us to constantly use re-hashed, poor designs instead of progressing technologically.