Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

I'm trying to buy some used equipment and there's no deals to be found. Maybe the pandemic is driving up the prices on used equipment because people are stuck at home, and buying things like pedals with money they would usually spend at restaurants.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

Quote from: Muffin Man on October 07, 2020, 09:51:38 PM
Rager nails the tone and tasty and accurate playing. I like how you're not in a hurry with the note selection.
note selection is like his ingredient selection while cooking. Nothing short of spectacular.

Muffin Man

Sure. This is why we're in the business. You can spot it a mile out.

Muffin Man

ps. I may have some pedal for sale, likely some modulation devices. Keeley auto-wah crap or something. Also a germanium compressor. Other whatnots.

Lumpy, would you be looking for mono or stereo?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I'm looking for the MXR Micro Chorus, the kind that Judas Priest allegedly uses. One knob (speed). I think Andy Summers used it too? Mono all the way. Reverb says they are supposed to be like 50 bucks but everybody is asking for like 65 (or more). Annoying.

Also want a Sennheiser e906 microphone, I saw a used one on the Guitar Center website for almost half price of new but by the time I figured out how to buy it, it was gone.

I don't know if I wanna spend 6 months shopping for deals. You either gotta spend time, or money.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

renfield

Quote from: RAGER on October 08, 2020, 06:22:23 PM
Look what came early.

that is so fucking cool, I could watch those sliders move all day

Muffin Man

Quote from: Lumpy on October 08, 2020, 02:44:47 PM
I'm looking for the MXR Micro Chorus, the kind that Judas Priest allegedly uses. One knob (speed). I think Andy Summers used it too? Mono all the way. Reverb says they are supposed to be like 50 bucks but everybody is asking for like 65 (or more). Annoying.

Also want a Sennheiser e906 microphone, I saw a used one on the Guitar Center website for almost half price of new but by the time I figured out how to buy it, it was gone.

I don't know if I wanna spend 6 months shopping for deals. You either gotta spend time, or money.

That micro chorus sounds like the ticket! If I see one will BM you. Right, Andy Summers - same chorus eh? Famous one. Priest! I've got an old '60's "Pink Floyd Sennheiser", the 409 in the retirement funds box. (lol, kooky).

What are you mic'ing with the e906?  Stage mic?

Lumpy

To mic a guitar cabinet for recording. I was using a SM57 and 58 (because that's what I have on hand). There's a YouTube demo showing the 906 straight on (panned to left channel) and the 57 off-axis (right channel) both close miked and it sounds really good. (It may be a SoundCloud clip, I forget). The mics sound slightly different, and when combined together it sounds really nice.

Muffin Man

Thats the way to do it 8) Bingo, for metal. What speaker are you micing?
/Keep it Real

Lumpy

Quote from: Muffin Man on October 09, 2020, 04:24:32 AM
Thats the way to do it 8) Bingo, for metal. What speaker are you micing?
/Keep it Real

I dunno, it's an Orange cab that lives in my practice space. Is that a V30?

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on October 09, 2020, 06:13:17 AM
Quote from: RAGER on October 08, 2020, 06:22:23 PM
Look what came early.

Sending it back?

You're funny. No not sending back. It's like having multiple distortion, overdrive, fuzzes on your board immediately switchable. Did I mention you can assign an expression pedal to any of the faders? 

And yes Lumpy they're most likely V30's
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Yeah, I know.

Right, V30 no doubt.

If it was a motorized 10 band I'd go for it. More is better? Otherwise I got shit that will smoke that.

RAGER

I'll see if I can't put together some sounds clips here in a couple weeks. It's a little deeper than you might think.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Cool. I believe you on that. Was just ribbin' ya a little.  ;D

Lumpy

I made an offer on that MXR chorus on Ebay, and they accepted. I forgot about tax again though, so still a little too expensive.

Looking at equipment on Ebay, everybody thinks their old equipment like DOD pedals etc. are worth 50-60 bucks (or more) now. A big part of the appeal of these pedals was the budget prices.

RAGER

JHS is doing a line of pedals that are all $99.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Played this pedal half the day at work saving several presets and going back and forth. The true test is tomorrow and my next days off but it's main heart in the Benson preamp from the Chimera. So at its base it's already killer. Then you have fuzz modes and slots for saved presets. 30 of them. And local and global expression pedal settings. Mid cut settings Etc...
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Well goodie.  8)

Cool video, I really want this guitar - been eyeballing V's for 10 years. d'uh, missed this one, dangit. Locking Floyd, Grover, EMG, and trem. No tone pot! Thank you.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Lumpy on October 08, 2020, 02:44:47 PM

Man, even through a potato video

wait-a-minute, where's the bass player?

Pissy

Do the sliders move with the expression pedal movement?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yes. Programmable globally or locally. Just one slider or multiple. You could one setting at full toe and a different one at full heel. It also excepts CV.  So in theory, depending on the CV amount, you could connect an LFO of whatever wave shape I think to control one or more of those sliders. I haven't tested that yet. I'm wondering if sample and hold would too much for it. Gotta do the math on that.

I've got Tuesday and Wednesday off so I'll be diving deep into it.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Just, No. Sample and hold automation of the motors? No.  :(

Its exactly why I have a huge problem with that pedal conceptually. It's actually more than a little embarrasing. Or worse, anathema to guitar playing, at its core. The meer fact that it has 30 presets is a joke. The Soldano X99 had 99 presets of which 5 or 6 were needed. No one needs even fucking 10 EQ presets! Not even 5 FFS. Grrrrr  >:(