Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

There's a thread here n the jam room entitled Guitar Speakers. Check the video out at about the 11:30 mark.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: James1214 on May 21, 2021, 06:17:04 PM
Muffin man, not optimistic about what in particular?

I break in my speakers using my 5 watt Hotone Vox AC clone, play riffs up and down the neck on my looper and run it face down on the floor for 30-40 hours over the course of a week, that's all I've ever done. Has worked a treat the half a dozen times I've done it.

words

oh thats good. Not optimistic about the 10's loosening up for guitar but your method makes sense, I'd do the same. Hope it sounds how you want, love to hear it someday.

James1214

They are guitar 10s specifically, British voiced

words

words

Muffin Man

Thanks. I donlt know what I'm on aboot, sheesh. I was loooking at the newer orange 2x10. I love 2x10 combos, Vox, Marshall both treated me spectacularily. I must be loosing it. haha. Love to hear that amp. Is it solid state? I ended up with an VT-22 but was looking for the 4x10 Ampeg. Both too loud for my use case/home recording. I don't think I'ever heard an Acoustic in person nor would be able to recognize it speaking today. Anywho, sorry I flaked out but lets see how that baby sounds. It looks really cool. One of a kind then?

James1214

I adore acoustic amplifiers, their bass amplifiers are obviously pretty legendary. And the guitar amps are basically exactly the same except they add a bright switch and throw in reverb and sometimes tremolo. This one is mid 70s based on the knobs. All of their amplifiers of this era were solid state. My main guitar rig is a 1976 Acoustic 230 head and 2 412 cabs.

Once it's all broken in I'll definitely do a demo.

words
words

Muffin Man

holy moses what a stack! nice rig! Do you run a wet dry?

James1214

Yes, it is one of a kind. So that's kind of cool. My original plan was to just chop the cab and use it as a head, but I don't have a single guitar cabinet that's rated for 200 Watts, so I decided to throw the speakers in it and be able to use it that way. I'll probably end up using my 230 and use that with a single 412, and then use the combo as well. The band has been experimenting with dual rigging and a lot of stereo effects for that big spatial audio thing. So this would be really cool in that context

words

words

Muffin Man

totally. that'll work well

James1214

Also, just cuz you're probably curious that Randall head is from 1974, is also solid state, and rips super hard. Honestly, it's mostly a backup just in case something goes wrong.

words

words

Muffin Man

holy cow I didn't even notice! I'll make an appointment with the optomistrist. Hey I asked the Crowbar tech a few questions one day, lovely chat, I guess it's just plug and play? I'm a huge admirer of their tone I'd take SS most times. Hey lemme git that MOSFET amp back!

Danny G

The new run Acoustic BH-200s actually sound amazing but are built like toys.

Great beater/backup amp tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

James1214

Unfortunately everything " acoustic" that's been sold at Guitar Center is really only stylistically related to the old stuff, doesn't really share much of this DNA that made the acoustic control corporation amplifiers magical. That may be a bit of a douchebag cork sniffer attitude but, when the OG badass stuff can be had for significantly less money, sounds better, and is built like a goddamn tank. I think that somebody somewhere got it wrong

words

words

Lumpy

The newer Acoustic stuff is a reboot, the original Acoustic people are long gone, I would guess.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Tryna procure a REEVES 2x12 but no response and the ad is still up. Fukn people.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

a set neck fender seems weird to me.

Danny G

If you can find a new GC B200H for under $150, grab it.

Great sounding hunk of shit haha \m/,

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Yo Muffjn!  Let's see that Gibson.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

alright, sure thing, will try for some pics in the next few days

bbottom

I bought a new, and much bigger board in order to fit the sampler pedal that I just picked up.

The thing has a wacky power supply and stupid interface. But it does what I need it to do and sounds surprisingly good

Dylan Thomas

I bought a Roland Jazz Chorus 40 for doing clean overdubs in the studio.  The thing sounds amazing, the chorus is rich and really creates a three dimensional sound field.  It's also surprisingly loud and a good clean pedal platform.  Driving it with this Bogner Burnley distortion pedal basically nails the early Black Sabbath tone.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

RAGER

Super cool. I've always thought the cleans were really nice on those. Passed up many a chance to own a 120.
No Focus Pocus

Submarine

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on September 10, 2021, 06:28:29 PM
Roland Jazz Chorus 40 for doing clean overdubs in the studio. 
I've been using my little Gallien Krueger 250ML for the same thing.  Those types of amps do shine on the cleans/chorusy thing.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Submarine on September 10, 2021, 11:47:46 PM
Quote from: Dylan Thomas on September 10, 2021, 06:28:29 PM
Roland Jazz Chorus 40 for doing clean overdubs in the studio. 
I've been using my little Gallien Krueger 250ML for the same thing.  Those types of amps do shine on the cleans/chorusy thing.

Right-O they do.  Is the Gallien Krueger a stereo amp with more than one speaker?  I'm not familiar.....

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

RAGER

Those little GK's are rad. I remember playing through one in the eighties and wondering how it could sound so big.

Do you have the carry bag too?
No Focus Pocus