Soup

Started by Volume, February 01, 2012, 02:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted account

your post is confusing, Shaft.  there's absolutely no mention of CSA's

MadJohnShaft

Vegan farts - you're in the food forum, your cleverness needs to go back to gen disc.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Lumpy

All the mushrooms were locally grown, in Shaft's basement.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

I ain't buying them at Whole Foods, that's for sure.

Our farmers market has an awesome mushroom farm so I always am looking to get rid of them

Ye-ah, they sell a mixed bag for $10,   I don't think I'd want to grow mushrooms at home, got to draw the line somewhere.  First outdoor farmers market is this Saturday.

yeezuz

i love ramen. lots of good ramen info in the this thread, so here's a ramen shout out

MadJohnShaft

Farmers market had some kicking watercress - made this watercress soup, with leeks and fresh garlic and onions I got too

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/watercress_soup/

mertzy

Its been raining...gonna make caldo de res this weekend to get in the spirit of winter.

RAGER

^^Oh yeah, that sounds good. 

A chili to rule them all tomorrow.  Stay tuned :P
No Focus Pocus

bitter

Quote from: RAGER on April 06, 2012, 05:07:26 PM
pic doesn't do it justice but here's a french onion soup I did last night with home made croutons

WOW. That looks so good.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RAGER

This is real chili made with fresh and homemade ingredients where necessary.  No dried garlic, no dehydrated onions or any of that other nonsense.  And not so stupid hot you can't enjoy it.

Not really a recipe but how I do it.
Dice up two large smoked andouille links and brown them in your "cast iron skillet by god"
About a pound and a half of cubed chuck and the same of pork sirloin roast cubes also.
Season with salt a pepper and brown in batches in some olive oil.  At the same time roast 2 poblanos for about 20 min on 400.
When meat is all browned, skin and seed the poblanos and dice them up.  add to the meat drippings with two onions (1 sweet yellow and 1 red) along with 2 large green bell peppers.  Saute until softened.  De-glaze with some white wine or chicken stock.
Add all the meat back in and scrape up the bits in the bottom to combine.  Add in homemade chicken stock and homemade beef stock to bring the liquid about even with everything.
Now if I had canned tomatoes I would add them here but I was far too busy this summer for that so I add 1 28 oz can of San Marzano D.O.P. tomatoes after I hand crush them.
Let this concoction go for about 45 min. on a low bubbling boil.

The competition people call this a spice dump.  I don't.  This is where I add the spices after I've taken a taste to get a compass reading for salt content. Add salt if you think it needs it.
I add about 2 tbls. of mexican dried oregano, 1/3 cup ancho chili powder, 1/4 cup paprika, 2 tbls ground chipotle chili powder about a tbls of toasted and ground cumin seeds just a smidge of coriander, and 3 sliced serranos, and a few dried arbols.
Let this go about an hour on a low bubbling boil.
Now is where you can start judging for the last bit of salt, spice, and heat.  usually I'll add a bit more chili powders and cumin.  This is also where I added some red. green, and orange habanero hot sauces just cuz to dial in the heat.
Keep on a simmer for another hour or so until the meat is falling apart.
Serve with cornbread, cheddar and queso fresco.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I approve (but no beans...?) - when I made that chilli a couple weekends ago I used only stuff I grew - veggies, peppers, herbs and spices, stock, chillies - and it was the first time my family ate it all.

Well, except for the meat but I could have stuck a squirrel in there if need be...

RAGER

Nope no beans. I made it Tejas style but without the politics. I did serve some beans on the side if you wanted them.

Squirrel meat would be good but when I make stew like that I call it mountain chowder
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

MadJohnShaft

What about some sort of green tomato soup? I was thinking if I grilled/prepped like the Tomatillos that didn't come in in the garden this year I could do something like a Chicken Tortilla soup.

RAGER

invite your lesbian employees over and serve fried green tomatoes and watch the fireworks!!  TAWANDA!!
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I made Albondigas soup!  What great stuff! 

mertzy

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 20, 2012, 07:42:45 PM
I made Albondigas soup!  What great stuff!
Recipe...pics?

MadJohnShaft

I used this one, I cooked the rice a bit first and did the meatballs in the oven, just finished them off in the soup. The stock was made from chicken bones in the pressure cooker that very day. It turned out fantastic, I can tell because when it doesn't they wont it it but this was all gone.

We had mint here and there outside so I was able to use a lot and all of it fresh ingredients...

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/albondigas_soup/

mertzy

I cook the rice (and the meatballs) in the soup. I actually use minute rice (don't tell Rager) because it doesn't get mushy. It cooks perfect every time.

MadJohnShaft

I will try that next time -  I had a pound of hamburger and I was afraid if it fell apart I would have a mess.

mertzy

I've been making it for yeas an its the one thing I can't screw up. I use tomato sauce in the meat and if its 90/10 I add an egg. I bet yours was delicious though. I'm certainly going to try that recipe.

RAGER

Quote from: mertzy on October 22, 2012, 11:00:42 PM
I cook the rice (and the meatballs) in the soup. I actually use minute rice (don't tell Rager) because it doesn't get mushy. It cooks perfect every time.

How dare you!!
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on October 23, 2012, 01:37:50 PM
Quote from: mertzy on October 22, 2012, 11:00:42 PM

How dare you!!
that is totally fucked..

MadJohnShaft

Tomatillo, chicken, tortilla soup with a Mexican twist cooking now.  It shall be muy bueno

MadJohnShaft

I have everything needed to make this fried almonds, serrano and potato soup next. Might get a chance to do it tonight.

http://www.food52.com/blog/4684_anya_von_bremzens_potato_soup_with_fried_almonds