The Thing Remake

Started by The Shocker, September 19, 2011, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Was not looking forward to this as I consider the John Carpenter version pretty much perfect, but damn the trailer looks pretty awesome.  And yes I know trailers are designed to get you to see the movie, but still...

grimniggzy

I haven't seen the trailer. But I'll probably see this and then just go back to watching the Carpenter one.

Jor el

Yeah, I saw the trailer last night.
Looks fun.
What Would Scooby Do ?

gritty_fingers

The Red Band Trailer is out.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/19/the-thing-red-band-trailer

I don't know. Its looks ok I guess. Its missing some of the doom and gloom from the first movie.
"Ginger People"

Beerjerk

Might check it out just out of curiosity, but I'm not expecting anything better than Carpenter's masterpiece.

gritty_fingers

My biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table. It looks like a complete rehash of the John Carpenter version. Also I prefer mood over shock effects..That's just me though.

The trailer doesn't really do it for me.
"Ginger People"

grimniggzy

Isn't this technically a prequel?

grimniggzy

yup
"After creating the Dawn of the Dead remake, producers Marc Abraham and Eric Newman began to look through the Universal Studios library to find new properties to work on. Upon finding John Carpenter's 1982 film The Thing, the two convinced Universal to create a prequel instead of a remake, as they felt that remaking Carpenter's film would be like "paint(ing) a mustache on the Mona Lisa"[18] Eric Newman explained; "I'd be the first to say no one should ever try to do Jaws again and I certainly wouldn't want to see anyone remake The Exorcist... And we really felt the same way about The Thing. It's a great film. But once we realized there was a new story to tell, with the same characters and the same world, but from a very different point of view, we took it as a challenge. It's the story about the guys who are just ghosts in Carpenter's movie - they're already dead. But having Universal give us a chance to tell their story was irresistible."[19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(2011_film)

GodShifter

So, this take is from the Norwegian point of view  ??? So, we can assume the movie ends with two people in a helicopter shooting at a dog  ???

grimniggzy

Quote from: GodShifter on September 27, 2011, 09:21:07 AM
So, this take is from the Norwegian point of view  ??? So, we can assume the movie ends with two people in a helicopter shooting at a dog  ???

Pretty sure those guys were from somewhere this group was communicating with.
I think everyone dies.

GodShifter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_%282011_film%29

From the wikipedia entry, it appears it is the Norwegian story that results in the creature taking the form of a dog and running into the American camp where the 1982 version starts.

CanookieWookie

Quote from: GodShifter on September 27, 2011, 12:38:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_%282011_film%29

From the wikipedia entry, it appears it is the Norwegian story that results in the creature taking the form of a dog and running into the American camp where the 1982 version starts.

You are correct, it is the Norwegians.

peoplething

I dunno, as a big fan of Carpenter's Thing (heh) I'm apprehensive.

The use of a heroine has me put off a little. This is 'The Thing' after all it takes place in the Antarctic, I don't want potential love interests turning into the alien and some twit graduate student screaming about it, I want macho!

The use of CG has me put off alot. For me a good part of why Carpenter's remake was so good was, well, there was a 600lb hunk of foam latex sitting in the room with them. And, to Carpenter's credit, it was the first amorphic monster successfully brought to film. Thirty years later, there's cg'd masses of undulating flesh in almost any creature based movie or video game out there. I think it would have been cool to re-visit old techniques and update them, so, there really was a mass of undulating flesh in the room with the actors. That approach would've sold the monster a little better, seeing as how over the last 30 years amorphic is pretty much morphic now. (but obviously I have not seen it yet)

The acting from the 1982 version is pretty damn good (macho).

Last but not least, who did the score? The score from Carpenter's is perfect because it captures the desolation and expanse of the arctic (macho).

I'll go see it, but I'm not super enthused.

*shakes fist at cloud*
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Jor el

Even the fucking dog in Carpenter's could act.
What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

As long as the chick dies HARD I'm down with it.  Please tell me it's not PG-13.

peoplething

Quote from: Jor el on September 27, 2011, 09:02:29 PM

quoted for truth

much of the eerie atmosphere, and good chucks of character development and the storyline were perpetuated not by dialogue, but looks and facial expressions between the actors, Macho.

and I bet the chick goes up in the Norg chopper, only to dig thru three feet of powder for a live grenade.

the trailer up above is listed as rated 'R'.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

gritty_fingers

Quote from: Jor el on September 27, 2011, 09:02:29 PM

That dog was a better actor than some humans.
"Ginger People"

lowdaddy

i didnt realize that carpenters movie was a remake but i guess i am the only one that thinks it fuckin sucked.  i will definately catch this remake as the trailer looks interesting.  assuming it doesnt turn out to be some pg-13 bullshit.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

The Shocker

Quote from: lowdaddy on September 29, 2011, 02:06:55 PM
i didnt realize that carpenters movie was a remake but i guess i am the only one that thinks it fuckin sucked. 

OH MY GOD!  What did you just say?

lowdaddy

u fuckin heard me.  dont gimme any shit deaner.  i'm in no mood for it.   :-*

The Shocker

Quote from: lowdaddy on September 29, 2011, 04:42:10 PM
u fuckin heard me.  dont gimme any shit deaner.  i'm in no mood for it.   :-*

Come on over and we'll watch it on Blu-ray on my 55" high def Home theater system.  Maybe it'll change your mind.  I promise I won't rape or kill you.

Let me know...

The Shocker

Did I scare Lowdaddy off?  Damn, I have no friends.  I'm so lonely.

GodShifter

I'll be your friend, deaner...

The Shocker

Man, you're my bro which is better than a friend.  Thing is Lowdaddy actually lives in my area.  I would like to meet another poster in person at least once before I die.

lowdaddy

I'M FEARLESS BITCHES!!!  check your messages deaner.