The Thing Remake

Started by The Shocker, September 19, 2011, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

hey I want to see carpenter's on bluray, didn't even know it came out. maybe i'll order it when i get some money.

The Shocker

Shit, come watch it at my house with me and lowdaddy (if I haven't scared him off).

grimniggzy

You wont find this city slicker down them parts any time soon. But you never know.

gritty_fingers

As of now, it has a 30% Tomatoe rating on rottentomatoes.com
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_thing_2011/

Its seems to be getting the worst reviews at various horror sights like Bloody Disgusting.com and well as others.
"Ginger People"

The Shocker

Still want to see that fucker.

diasdegalvan

The Shocker

So has anyone gone to see this yet?

EaterofBirds

I'm about 2/3rds through it, and if there was something else on, Id switch it off.

It's not a remake but as we all know it's been tagged a 'prequel', which is only half true. This is my main problem with it. It's not being honest with the diehard fans of the Carpenter film. It's based on the Norwegian camp which precedes the storyline of the 1982 version, but it takes too many scenes and reinterpretations of the first one, to honestly fall for this whole prequel tagline. Has the same type of protagonist lead (this time a female lead in place of Russell) and random, almost too familiar looking character replacements from the earlier film. It's not scene for scene, but it might as well be for at least 20 minutes of random cuts scattered throughout and hard to look past, imo.

If youre going to call yourself a prequel then do NOT borrow lines (especially obvious Kurt Russelisms)and scenes from the original. It's almost confusing if youre actually going to believe that the same events happened on both camps (in the movie timeline sense)

The 'head spider' scene is brought back even (in a bit more extremo this time around, you know because they have to put their own stamp on it)..blood testing..flame thrower burning scenes lifted..the last 1/3 (intentionally?) rehashes some deadpan lines from the classic film, remnants in a shower stall chameleon change bring back visions of the bloody torn unis left in the trash from Carpenters.

The CGI weighs down the last 20 mins or so terribly (watching it now) with a dozen or so 'things' cat and mousing the remaining crew. I would say to skip it because I kind of wish I did and will indeed leave a bad taste in your mouth if you love the classic like I do.

edit: right when youve separated the two films as apples and oranges as the credits start to roll, they edit in the the first few minutes of Carpenters with the music and the husky being shot at...fuck this film in the face.