Halloween '11 Scary Movie Thread

Started by peoplething, October 07, 2011, 12:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peoplething

I was just talking with a co-worker, and realized that I've seen ziltch in the way of current horror movies..... say since 1997.

What out there is cool?

I'm down with eerie/creepy atmosphere type stuff. Ghost stories, satanists, maybe a well done creature feature; as long as there is 1 creature - five college kids vs. an army of monsters afraid to eat them is dumb. Not down with 30 seconds of 'silent suspense' and then my speakers being blown out by the audio of some crazy killer stupid slasher thing either.

any ideas?

edit: or any movie along those lines that y'all think really stands oot.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

demon gal

My Halloween standards; obviously the original Halloween is a must. I really like Trick R Treat too, The Sentinel is great, The Changeling, Don't be Afraid of the Dark, Fright Night, The Exorcist, The Haunting, The Howling, Carrie, The House of the Devil...and lots more that I can't think of right now.

Sorry edit: most of those are older but Trick R Treat and The House of the Devil are only a few years old.

The Shocker

Damn, I'm trying to come up with a recent, good, scary movie and I'm drawing a blank.  I'll be seeing Paranormal Activity 3, but I'm not going to claim it's going to be good.

The Thing remake might be good?

[Rec] and [Rec]2 were pretty good.

Jor el

Haven't seen [Rec]2.

[Rec]
Let The Right One In

I watched "The Others" by accident. Not as bad as I expected.
Didn't they just remake "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark?"
What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

Man, I forgot Let The Right One In.  Really good, but I didn't find it that scary.

Jor el

It wasn't scary, but had great atmosphere.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

"Session 9" is pretty creepy, it came out in 2001.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

gritty_fingers

Quote from: deaner33 on October 07, 2011, 06:59:09 PM
I liked Frailty.

That movie surprised me. I had low expectations but it turned out to be a decent movie.
"Ginger People"

gatorsnot

I'll 2nd session 9. It's implied horror but this film does it right.  Very creepy.

grimniggzy

the descent legitimately creeped me out on first watch. thats the only newer movie i can say that about.

frailty was awesome!

peoplething

I checked out IMDB for session 9 and [Rec]

Session 9 looks cool, I'll netflix it - thanks

I have a question aboot [Rec], it sounds ok, but is it shot with alot of 1st person cam perspective? and if so how well is it done?

I can't take alot of the 1st person stuff without Dramamine

Jor el

It's ALL 1st person.
Deal with that and the subtitles.
What Would Scooby Do ?

GodShifter

I found REC2 to be pretty disappointing; not terrible, mind you, but definitely not great, either. Is the first one any better?

The Shocker

EaterofBirds

Session 9 is indeed a creepy watch, low budget, but very effective. Watch it alone, in the dark and you'll see.

High Tension still works for me. Ive seen it 3-4 times now. Good, mindless stuff.

Not real scary, but just a cool watch for a 'monster movie' is Trollhunter

Frontier(s), Martyrs and A Serbian Film for holiday family get togethers

peoplething

we watched Session 9 last  night. I dug it. It does a great job at creating a creepy, eerie atmosphere. I'm still a bit confused as to weather or not it's a ghost/possession type thing or the guy just flipped his wig. I also dug how it was blue collar guys with a bit of macho instead of twenty something J Crew models. The setting was perfect, it was creepy as hell even in the daylight - but also some beautiful architecture. Bummer they tore it down a while ago.

now that I think about it, I guess it may have been a possession type deal, what with an asbestos removal guy knowing how to deliver an old school lobotomy with a metal pipette

uh-oh, a scary movie that actually made the audience think!!!! the outrage!!!  :D

thanks for the suggestion man