Moonshiners - discovery channel

Started by gatorsnot, December 07, 2011, 06:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatorsnot

Saw last nights first episode and it was interesting.  Showed a moonshiner finding a spot and setting up his still.  A camera also follows the law trying to catch these guys.  Has some colorful characters like "Popcorn" Sutton.  My Dad has a DVD that features Popcorn giving advice on moonshine making.

bitter

Yeah I watched both episodes and dig it so far. Popcorn Sutton (R.I.P.) sure was cool, I hope they keep adding little parts with him in the show.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

giantchris

I kinda want to watch this show but at the same time does anyone else find it a little ridiculous that they are wasting tax dollars on people who clearly are NEVER going to stop making moonshine.

bitter

Quote from: giantchris on December 14, 2011, 12:15:08 AM
I kinda want to watch this show but at the same time does anyone else find it a little ridiculous that they are wasting tax dollars on people who clearly are NEVER going to stop making moonshine.

Good point. They do address some of those aspects on the show. Overall, the show (thus far) focuses on 3 groups: A modern moonshiner group, A state alcohol agency (think a state version of the ATF) , and some reference material of Popcorn. The problem the law has is spillover created by the illegal sales of moonshine. They have to deal with the violence and murder that occurs as a result of sales. They even mention people poisoning batches by cutting the liquor with Clorox bleach.

It's an interesting look at both sides. I recommend it.

justinhedrick

Quote from: bitter on December 14, 2011, 03:51:42 AM
Quote from: giantchris on December 14, 2011, 12:15:08 AM

Good point. They do address some of those aspects on the show. Overall, the show (thus far) focuses on 3 groups: A modern moonshiner group, A state alcohol agency (think a state version of the ATF) , and some reference material of Popcorn. The problem the law has is spillover created by the illegal sales of moonshine. They have to deal with the violence and murder that occurs as a result of sales. They even mention people poisoning batches by cutting the liquor with Clorox bleach.

It's an interesting look at both sides. I recommend it.

caught this last night. it's pretty good. i'll look forward to watching it. i first saw popcorn in the "mountain talk" documentary. i'm distantly (read VERY distantly) related to a moonshiner named jim tom hedrick. never met him, but i wish i would.

giantchris

I saw the first 3 episodes now they were re-running.  This show is pretty damn great so far its funny how much of a bullshitter Tim is.  Totally reminds me of my alcoholic/heroin addict uncle who is also completely full of shit but funny as hell.

bitter

Yeah I missed the finale and don't really think the last couple episodes were that great. Felt rushed to me. There is something to say about a man with no shirt on playing in the woods with a guy named tickle.  :D

Mr Neutron

i didnt think you could find a bigger collection of dumb people until i saw big shrimpin' and clips of that toddlers and tiars show.

"Where words fail, music speaks."