It Might Get Loud

Started by Metal and Beer, December 23, 2011, 11:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metal and Beer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Might_Get_Loud

This is showing on VH1 right now, I had heard OF this, but hadn't seen it until now...can't say I'm a big Jack White guy (not a hater either) but it's cool so far..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jor el

Enjoyable - but why the fuck was "The Edge" involved?
It's great when each one does a little noodling. When Page kicks in, it's got a "holy shit" quality to it.
What Would Scooby Do ?

gatorsnot

I saw his a few months ago and I dug it.  But yeah, not sure why the Edge was picked for it.

Andrew Blakk

Yes it's a rather cool movie. Well I do think that The edge make sence. Over here(in Europe) he has a way more iconic status than White ever will have. So I think the cast works just fine.  :)  (Reminds a bit of a round table interview in GW  ith Dimebag, Ace and someone more in the mid 90-ies.)

But it would have been quite awesome with Page, Iommi and Blackmore! That would have been something...

whoshotthefrog

I saw this when it first came out a few years ago and I actually gained some new found respect for Jack White after watching this.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

DustinAR

It's a pretty good movie. The highlight for me was when Jimmy Page started playing "Whole Lotta Love" on guitar, epic.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Metal and Beer

One of my highlights was seeing (hearing) how easy the chorus part on "Ramble On" is to play...all these years and I always thought it was something akin to "D" (like a D with an A suspension?) but it just goes to "A" with a little downslide-y thing (A Pagism if you will  haha)

I thought Jack White's inclusion is more inexplicable than The Edge, personally, but that's just my take on it; I barely know who that Jack guy is...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jor el

Jack is good people.
Detroit musicians (guitarists) seem to really dislike/hate him.

Both, he and the Edge, looked like chumps once Page started playing.

Edge puts a lot of effort into that jingle-jangle 'tone.'
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

This movie had 2 guitar players and one guy that relies on effects cuz he can't barely play.
No Focus Pocus

GodShifter

The Edge is a good guitarist. He's the best musician in that band by a mile. He's also one of those guys that when he plays, you know it's him. Though he does owe some of his playing style to The Skids.

Seems like the documentary tried to find a contemporary guy (Jack White), an 80's guy (The Edge), and the rock icon (Page) to get a little interest from all angles. But, I dunno, cause I haven't seen the film.

Jor el

So, what 80's guy do you replace the Edge with?
What Would Scooby Do ?

GodShifter

Eddie Van Halen? Kirk Hammett? Mark Knopfler? Slash?

RAGER

Andy Summers maybe?  Andy Taylor?  Brian May? (70's crossover I know) Dave Stewart?
No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

YO, ferrealtho... :o @ Edge's pedalboard. There could have always been someone better but he didn't come off as quite as much of a douche as I thought he would.

RAGER

Quote from: grimniggzy on January 09, 2012, 12:33:18 PM
YO, ferrealtho... :o @ Edge's pedalboard. There could have always been someone better but he didn't come off as quite as much of a douche as I thought he would.

Cus he was being owned the whole time.
No Focus Pocus

GodShifter

I'm not going to get into defending The Edge, but from everything I've seen and heard of the guy, he's a decent dude (not an egomaniac or an abrasive asshole, in other words).

Good picks RAGER, except I'd think May would fall too close into Page's territory.

RAGER

Yeah I know, Brian May is an icon on his own merit but Queen was probably biggest in the 80's although I dig their more raw 70's stuff myself.

I was am still of fan of U2's early stuff.  Not bagging on Edge as a guy.  I've never assumed he was a egomaniac.  But man he's no monster guitar player though.  Page is Page.  Jack white is and inventive prolific musician and the Edge is just .....meh as a guitar player IMO.  Lot's better out ther from his heyday that are real guitar players.
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Jor el

Jack is on American Pickers tonight.
9:00pm on the History Channel.
What Would Scooby Do ?