Downfall --movie about the last days inside Hitler's bunker

Started by Mr. Poopypants, February 09, 2012, 08:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Poopypants

I just watched this movie on DVD and, wow, it's excellent. I'm a WWII buff and this movie gives insight into Hitler's last days and the activities that were happening inside the bunker. We all know Hitler was evil blah blah blah, but the movie almost brings out the humanity in him, such a tragic figure, yet demented and pathetic. There were some scenes that were definitely a reenactment of archival photos I've seen. It's pretty much all drama, but I think any war action here would be unnecessary and even inappropriate. I found the movie depressing in a way because you sense the despair and people committing suicide. The Goebbels killing their children was very disturbing and tragic. It's madness that Hitler wanted to leave nothing for the enemy by ordering the land scorched and all infrastructure destroyed. He felt the German people weren't deserving of compassion in defeat. Sad, tragic, insane.

On a lighter note, I remember seeing a Youtube video of Hitler ranting about the new Morbid Angel album, and now I know it's a scene taken from this movie.

Btw, I recommend Sophie Scholl: The Final Days if you're into WWII history. Any other recommendations that are similar in quality to Downfall?

GodShifter

I saw this a few years back and really liked it. Yet, it's not a great movie to watch with someone else unless they're a WWII or Hitler buff or something like that. It's extremely slow, fairly long, and, as you mentioned, low on the action scale. There's tons of dialogue and lots of introspection and atmosphere. Most people get fidgety watching something like that.

Instant Dan

I thought this was going to be about the amazing Nicholas Cage movie.

The Shocker

Quote from: Mr. Poopypants on February 09, 2012, 08:56:34 PM
I just watched this movie on DVD and, wow, it's excellent. I'm a WWII buff and this movie gives insight into Hitler's last days and the activities that were happening inside the bunker. We all know Hitler was evil blah blah blah, but the movie almost brings out the humanity in him, such a tragic figure, yet demented and pathetic. There were some scenes that were definitely a reenactment of archival photos I've seen. It's pretty much all drama, but I think any war action here would be unnecessary and even inappropriate. I found the movie depressing in a way because you sense the despair and people committing suicide. The Goebbels killing their children was very disturbing and tragic. It's madness that Hitler wanted to leave nothing for the enemy by ordering the land scorched and all infrastructure destroyed. He felt the German people weren't deserving of compassion in defeat. Sad, tragic, insane.

On a lighter note, I remember seeing a Youtube video of Hitler ranting about the new Morbid Angel album, and now I know it's a scene taken from this movie.

Btw, I recommend Sophie Scholl: The Final Days if you're into WWII history. Any other recommendations that are similar in quality to Downfall?

Who played Hitler, Bruno Kirby?  Or am I completely off?

GodShifter

The Shocker

Ha!  At least I got the Bruno part right.  It's from a few years back, but I do remember it getting good reviews.  Did he get nominated for an academy award?

GodShifter

I don't believe he did, but he should have. That was an excellent acting job.

Mr. Poopypants

It's probably taboo to consider oneself a Hitler buff :P But anyway, I've always been interested in WWII history. One thing about the movie is how it puts a human face not only on Hitler but his generals as well. No doubt that the Germans had some excellent generals. At the risk of incurring the scorn of some people, many of the generals were admirable as tacticians and some even honorable as men and soldiers. Not all were Nazis. The movie does depict some as honorable men. Heck, even Speer is shown as having compassion for the German people. I don't think the movie intends to cast a positive light on Hitler or his men or to convince viewers that there were some redeeming qualities about them. Nazism will forever be associated with evil and any good ascribed to it is contemptable and anathema. Anyway, I may go find the books that this movie draws upon.

The Shocker

I got about 1/3 of the way through The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich.  That book was too dense for me.  I wish I had a set of those Time Life WWII books that I looked at in the school library when I was a kid.

GodShifter

I don't think a fascination with Hitler is really any different than a person being interested in true crime novels/serial killers (which I am). It's one of the reasons I got a degree in criminal justice. Some people want to know how the minds of killers, sociopaths, and their ilk work.

Just because a person finds an interest in the dark side of humanity, it doesn't necessarily correlate that they, themselves, condone or espouse the behavior or actions of the individuals like Hitler. More so, perhaps, they want a better understanding of "the how", "the why", and "the what"; his motivations, in other words.

World War II is a big interest of mine and, by extension, the Final Solution as well. So with that, certainly, understanding Hitler and his upbringing and his resulting prejudices is important in how the whole thing resulted.