Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Upgrade - the fight scenes are great and there's some interesting bigger ideas (like human/machine hybrids, A.I. vs. free will, high tech ways to assassinate people, etc). But some of the non-action basic storytelling seems like generic Hollywood poop sometimes, which keeps this decent movie from being potentially something great. They left it open for a sequel but I don't know if there will be a sequel. Good but a little disappointing at the same time. B.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

sleestak

Quote from: Lumpy on March 08, 2021, 06:35:00 PM
Weird - I posted about the Wax Trax documentary "Industrial Accident" (it's good) and that post is missing. Maybe I forgot to hit send.

Loved it.  Socket lent me the blu ray and there's a whole second disc of bonus interviews and stuff.   Usually I'm not into "bonus material" because it always fucking sucks and isn't worth the time.   This is an exception.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

lftwng4

I really want to see this documentary.
I visited the store once, late eighties I believe.
I was a fan of lots of their bands, but I was unaware of the scope and importance of the label/store at the time.

sleestak

It's on Amazon, check it out!

jmucke

Thanks for mentioning the Wax-Trax-documentary. Just watched it and, yes, its great.

Lumpy

They talk about how it's like a big family, and how the label would pay for anything the artists wanted re: studio time, flights etc but when Al Jourgenson and Front 242 got major label deals, they took off and took their catalogue with them, basically dooming the label. Wax Trax broke Front 242 in America, without the label I doubt they would have made it. Al Jorgensen even worse, he worked at the store and they gave him a platform for his projects. Chicago groups rarely make it at home first, they have to get recognition or popularity somewhere else first (weird Chicago inferiority complex thing) and Wax Trax did that by sending Ministry to the UK for 6 months.

There was a girl who clerked at the record store who I vaguely recall committed suicide pretty early on, because of unrequited love with someone else at the store. I kind of wanted the movie to cover that, but it was mostly about the label so...

The store really was a meeting place for teenagers and the bulletin board was packed with gig fliers and 'musicians wanted' ads. I knew people who said they would drive in from Iowa to go shopping there.

In retrospect the heyday of the label was rather short, I'd say like 86 to 90(?)

Lumpy

I suppose that since the movie was directed by Jim Nash's daughter, the movie couldn't say that groups left the label because the owners were bad at business (the movie did say they weren't good at business, but didn't blame defections on that).

sleestak

Quote from: Lumpy on March 11, 2021, 06:09:27 PM
I suppose that since the movie was directed by Jim Nash's daughter, the movie couldn't say that groups left the label because the owners were bad at business (the movie did say they weren't good at business, but didn't blame defections on that).

That was my sole criticism of the film, that it likely held back due to the relationship of the director to the subject matter.  But, it was a positive story and deserved to be no matter how the label folded.

RAGER

Cool. I'll watch this some time soon. Maybe I'll just watch 16 candles again. Same diff.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Watched "I care a lot". It was ok. The ending was kind of abrupt and weird though.
No Focus Pocus

jmucke

Quote from: RAGER on March 12, 2021, 11:04:50 AM
Watched "I care a lot". It was ok. The ending was kind of abrupt and weird though.

Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage were great but the story never found the right tone. I mean, the way Pike ripped off old people was so scary and despicable that I wanted everything bad imaginable happen to her character but she turned into the "hero" of the plot.

mortlock

The hero was the dude at the end who lost his mom and couldnt see her before she died. I thought the ending was great.

RAGER

When she did the news show circuit and Forbes and all that shit I was thinking aren't people wondering how she can be that rich and drive Ferrari's while just helping out old folks. It had me. It could've been longer and I would've watched if it had resolved some story derps.
No Focus Pocus

Plywood

So glad I checked out The Wolf of Snow Hollow. Future classic horror/comedy right there.

renfield

Zack Snyder's Justice League

It's fucking insane how much better Snyder's directors cuts are compared to his theatrical releases. They're still dumb movies but it's wild to see actual authorial voice in a super hero movie after all the risk-averse, made-by-committee Marvel stuff.

I'm only halfway through the new 4 hour cut of JL, but it's almost comical how much better it is than the Whedonized version.

RAGER

Seaspiracy. Netflix documentary on the fishing industry. It'll get you wound up for sure. Very inflammatory and provocative like a Netflix documentary. Good points but of course dramatic.

Side note. I actually have a dolphin safe albacore tuna source. For real if you're interested.

Here's a kind of a rebuttal but not really. Just kind of a fact check from a marine biologist.

No Focus Pocus

renfield

Watched Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road back to back last night

I didn't realize before how directly connected the two films are. Like, is it implied that Furiosa's clan is descended from the clan of wild folk Max finds in Thunderdome? Is the "green place" what has become of the type of oases where they resided?

Or I could also see that Fury Road takes place first: the oasis in Thunderdome exists because the earth has had more time to heal; the seeds they obtained have grown; the Furiosas have gradually turned into Aunty Entities as their attempts to keep societies like The Citadel together are frustrated by the harsh realities of the destroyed world.

I'm sure the nerds have already figured this out, but my personal instinct would be to interpret it as Fury Road taking place last in the series, where basically all traces and thoughts of the previous civilization have vanished, and several generations have grown up not knowing the word "tree".

I love these movies if you can't tell.

neighbor664

RAGER

We watched Unhinged last night.

Russel Crowe plays a fat ass road rage psycho.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

I tried to watch "Music, Money, Madness . . . Jimi Hendrix In Maui" but turned it off. I really just wanted to see Jimi play.
I now believe that Jimi's death was a suicide, HE JUST WANTED TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THE STUPID FUCKING HIPPIES.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

mortlock

Redacted.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on May 01, 2021, 03:35:17 PM

It's sooooooo good!!!  We watched it again here, it was just as much fun the second time.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on May 02, 2021, 11:05:30 AM
Quote from: whoshotthefrog on May 01, 2021, 03:35:17 PM

It's sooooooo good!!!  We watched it again here, it was just as much fun the second time.

It definitely was a fun movie to watch. Cage's facial expressions were great.