The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Quote from: renfield on January 18, 2020, 12:40:19 PM
I want some of that pineapple

YASSSS QUEEN (do the kids stil say that?) the pineapple looks ready.

Is it just me, or does pineapple not mix with macadamia nuts? If you eat one and then the other, it's like the enzymes from the pineapple and the fat from the nuts make a weird coating inside my mouth, and neither one tastes as good as they do when you eat them alone.

Trader Joe's has good macadamia nuts, like $10 for a pound.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on January 17, 2020, 10:15:19 PM
Vacation mis en place. Yes that's a stiff ass rum drink.

Swift with the grocery run. What they cooking out there?

RAGER

Well it ain't like back home. The hoity toity places pretty serve the same stuff. Fresh seafood, steaks and the like but there are some exceptions. We're gonna hit up a couple food trucks we know of. Gonna skip Mamas Fish House. Done that a few times. Kinda over the $300 lunch novelty. Lots of different poke' which is killer. Never have poke' unless I'm here. Might get some huli huli chicken today.

Made this last night. Med rare strip, papaya salad with kale and kimchi shrimp poke', and spicy furikake shrimp chips.

The Millhouse is a place we usually go to a few times. Only $200 lunches.

Kanpachi boquerones

Pork belly barley risotto thingey

Musubi

Maui Brewing was ok. Wings not crispy enough. Pretty good ceviche. Good pickle plate.

Pretty pickles

Ok. Some breakfast and then off to La Perouse bay lava fields for some hiking and snorkeling and maybe a fish taco truck stop.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Wow, what a spread! Steak looks perfecto...as does all of it.

/dreaming of Luau Pig

RAGER

Never been to a luau but I'd be into that pig for sure.

Had some Portuguese sausage at The Millhouse today and these yummy buns with braised beef.

Had fish n chips and calamari and chips at Paia Fish Market. Super good

Then today in Lahaina we stopped at an open air mall place we like and I got some Thai beef jerky with som nam prik for a quick bite. Yum.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

whos the dude in the red shirt with the under age girl?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Lumpy

renfield

Hearts of palm is an underrated salad ingredient, by me. That is all.

RAGER

Are you finding it fresh or canned? Or maybe frozen?
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Only canned. It never occurs to me to use it but whenever I do I'm quite pleased. I don't believe I've ever seen it fresh or frozen at the grocers I frequent

Lumpy

Kind of expensive - more than $3 a can, if I recall. It's been a long time since I bought some, so maybe more.

RAGER

That's not expensive compared to fresh. This place on the Big Island will ship fresh 2 day air but the minimum order is 5 pounds at $13 a pound

http://www.punagardens.com/

Or there's this place in Cali. There's comes from Costa Rica. There's a catch 22. The Hawai'i stuff will be far fresher but comes with a price tag. The other stuff was cut at least 2 weeks prior if not more but much cheaper.

https://oneearthhearts.com/
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Double burger at Millhouse. Two patties bacon sliced cheese simple. The meat shines. Beautiful. Waikapu Maui.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I bought a can of hearts of palm at Trader Joe - only $1.99. I think I was paying more 30 years ago.

RAGER

Yesterday was a great day. Crazy good brunch at Ava Genes.

The we stopped by Cheesebar to congratulate Sarah on her win as champion cheesemonger at the Cheesemonger Invitational. This is a national event so she's a pretty big deal right now.

Hand picked selections by her. And a couple other things.

Then this stuff came in the mail. I ordered it while in Hawai'i.

Today we're driving up the Columbia River Gorge. Lunch at Ferment Brewing in Hood River then up to Goldendale Washington to Dwinell Country Ales for mixed fermentation and barrel aged goodness. A quick stop on the way back at Cor Cellars will round out the day.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Muffin Man

RAGER, where to get the Red Boat? Amazoo wants $25 clams for the reserve, ok, but they don't have the candy bars. I checked importfood but no Red. My first fish sauce so no 3 crabs, I'll get the Red, instead.

ps. I guess I could get off the couch and take an afternoon drive to the H Mart?

RAGER

Bought di-rectly from red boat.

https://redboatfishsauce.com/collections/shop

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on January 25, 2020, 08:26:04 PM
Double burger at Millhouse. Two patties bacon sliced cheese simple. The meat shines. Beautiful. Waikapu Maui.

send one to these my way. brought a tear to my eye. beautiful.

RAGER

The cheese is mainland but everything else is from right there. I LOVE that place.

Here's a fucking hedge of croton we struggle to grow in small pots here. It's not just a restaurant. It's a farm and grounds.

No Focus Pocus

RacerX

I ate a 1-pound burrito called "El Jefe" on Friday night, and it's been the boss of my bowels ever since. :-[
Livin' The Life.

Muffin Man

You've inspired me to have just put a 4-count batch in the oven of my

Black Bean Blowback Burrito

Organic refried black bean from a can
Two kind cheese - pepper jack, american
Scissor-cut (diced) jalepeno from whole jalepeno, canned (Herdez)
Chinese peppercorn oil drizzle
Fresh black peppercorn sprinkle

Flour tortilla!

Might have to dollop sour cream at service, present with hot sauce bottle choice

Total cost $2.79? (.0698ea?)