True detective

Started by RAGER, January 12, 2014, 11:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Anybody else goons watch this tonight?
No Focus Pocus

The Bandit

Wife and I watched it.  We thought it was excellent.

RAGER

It was rad. I'm hooked. Surprised there wasn't anticipation about it here.
No Focus Pocus

The Bandit

Bunch of cheap bastards without HBO?

deleted account

I got free cable with HBO for 7 years right after college.  paying for it after that is koo koo for Cocoa Puffs.

but I do own Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Band Of Brothers, Six Feet Under box sets plus seasons 1-3 of Boardwalk Empire

RAGER

I pay too much for tv. I don't watch it much but dammit when I want to I want to watch what I want.
No Focus Pocus

retardgroove

If I didn't get such a good deal the last two years I wouldn't pay for HBO either. Verizon Fios offers a package of all the pay channels they have (Starz, Encore, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Epix, HBO, and Cinemax) for 20 bucks a month.

deleted account

that's unheard of around here.  Comcast cocksuckers got us by the balls

ez

This was excellent. I like both Harrelson and McConaughey a lot, and while Harrelson is definitely the weaker actor, he's still the perfect foil to McConaughey's character.

Really looking forward to the rest of this season and I'm really fucking glad they're making this an anthology series which should prevent it (or at least the first season(s))from suffering the same fate as many other shows have in the past.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

RAGER

I disagree that Woody is a weaker actor however I do agree that this is gonna be a fantastic show.
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

I would say that Woody's character is the easier one to play.

Worthless Willie

I thought it was very well done.

I think I may go watch it again.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

ez

Woody Harrelson is a pretty one-dimensional actor by any and all standards. McConaughey on the other hand isn't. He's proved that over these past couple years.

Not that that's a bad thing mind you - there are lots of good actors out there who portray pretty much the same character over and over again. Bruce Willis, Al Pacino, etc etc

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

boltthrow

I thought McConaughey got just a touch overindulgent in the middle but it was generally very well done and he redeemed himself with that very last line.  I certainly want to know what is going to happen next.

MadJohnShaft

Jennifer Egan (novelist) exec producer - I guess this on Wednesday night.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Bandit

Quote from: boltthrow on January 15, 2014, 08:11:23 AM
I thought McConaughey got just a touch overindulgent in the middle but it was generally very well done and he redeemed himself with that very last line.  I certainly want to know what is going to happen next.

I did like when he got all philosophical that Woody would tell him to shut the fuck up.
I also liked that McConaughey was such a fiend that he was drinking a bottle of cough syrup.  I did that once in college.  Only once - that was enough.

MichaelZodiac

Watched and liked it, thanks for the heads up. I needed a new series to check out.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

deleted account

Quote from: ez on January 15, 2014, 03:57:54 AM
Woody Harrelson is a pretty one-dimensional actor by any and all standards. McConaughey on the other hand isn't. He's proved that over these past couple years.

Not that that's a bad thing mind you - there are lots of good actors out there who portray pretty much the same character over and over again. Bruce Willis, Al Pacino, etc etc

you've seen Out Of The Furnace.  juxtapose that role with his role in Cheers and it's pretty tough to call him one dimensional

MadJohnShaft

Woody Harrelson is a treasure.

He's a really great actor but he's kind of a jock. I can tell my wife thinks he and Mr McConaughy are hot so we probably are going to be watching this show.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

ez

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on January 15, 2014, 08:35:03 PM
Woody Harrelson is a treasure.

He's a really great actor but he's kind of a jock. I can tell my wife thinks he and Mr McConaughy are hot so we probably are going to be watching this show.

And he brings that jock/tough guy personality to pretty much every single character he plays. I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule, but in the case of True Detective (as far as we've seen till now) he's back in his usual character again.

The Bandit

When they were talking at that abandoned strip mall I realized that was the shopping center by my Mee Maw's (RIP) neighborhood.  I used to play videogames at the A&P that was there.

RAGER

Funny how their location scouts picked a spot in Ms. when it's supposed to be La. when I'm sure they could have found and equally rundown area in Ms.
No Focus Pocus

The Bandit

Quote from: RAGER on January 16, 2014, 01:59:52 PM
Funny how their location scouts picked a spot in Ms. when it's supposed to be La. when I'm sure they could have found and equally rundown area in Ms.

No.  My grandmother lived in Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans.

jmucke

That was fucking great, seems to fulfill all my expectations. Incredible how McConaughey bounced back from stuff like Sahara and Fools Gold over the last few years. He just gets better and better.

juggernaut

This show is fucking great.  McConaughey is mesmerizing in every scene he's in.  Tonights episode also featured this beauty getting full naked and it was goddamn glorious.