SLADE: In Flame

Started by RacerX, October 14, 2015, 05:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

stooge

this is putting it mildly
i think this movie is outstanding esp if you consider slade´s good time party boys image at that time
everyone expected a har days night like "will we make it to the show on time" fun movie and they could have easily delivered
but instead they did this grim dark "music biz is a shark tank" thing
they did this at the peak of their carreer and it did not do them good
i just love slade....
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

MikeyT

Yeah, cool band...  their music wasn't far from the beaten path, yet there was still no one quite like them. Worlds apart from T-Rex. Hopefully I can find time to watch that film before someone takes it down.

If T-Rex were 'The Beatles' of that era, Slade were the 'Stones'.

Luv, luv, luv 'Gudbuy T'Jane'. The lyrics are as great as the music in that case, and that's rare. You're lucky to get one or the other.

A lot of their stuff doesn't do it for me (as is the case with most bands), but when they're on, they're really on. They are more or less a party band, as noted by stooge, but there's a wistful or sentimental side to some of their songs I find touching.

Was at school in the seventies when I saw a little flyer saying another student was selling some stuff, including LP's. Went over there & he didn't have many, but some were choice. Grabbed a couple of classics, then picked up his copy of Slade - 'SLAYED?' & checked out the cover. Had never heard a word about them. They looked to be English & were dressed oddly (after their custom), but the cover photo/packaging made them look like Rockers. The seller seemed like an honest, intelligent guy,  so I asked him what they were like. Can't recall what was said exactly, but he smiled and spoke highly of them. Bought it, took it home, played it all the way through: it was indeed a solid slab of Rock! Thank you sir.
   This was '75 or '76, so past their heyday, although I guess they were still going strong in the UK.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

The Shocker

Quote from: MikeyT on August 21, 2016, 07:56:11 AM

If T-Rex were 'The Beatles' of that era, Slade were the 'Stones'.

And The Sweet?

They were better than both.

stooge

I was thinking about the Sweet in that context too
Wouldn't rate them better but at least equal
Maybe THEY would be the Stones
as they really got bad in the end and started out as something different in their early days (sweet - bubblegum-> hard rock / stones blues -> arena rock) plus the heavy use of make up and their raunchy sexiness
And Slade would be The Who due to their laddish attitude and distinctive britishness
This nerdy comparisons lead to a lot of crazy thinking
Is David Bowie  bob Dylan then ?
Gary glitter frank Zappa and the glitter band the mothers ?
The Alice cooper group the byrds maybe as he is the only American glam star?
I'll stop now before this is getting too stupid

Lumpy

Quote from: MikeyT on August 21, 2016, 07:56:11 AMHopefully I can find time to watch that film before someone takes it down.

You can download it with this website:

http://www.clipconverter.cc
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

Quote from: stooge on August 29, 2016, 01:35:29 PM
as they really got bad in the end and started out as something different in their early days (sweet - bubblegum-> hard rock / stones blues -> arena rock) plus the heavy use of make up and their raunchy sexiness
And Slade would be The Who due to their laddish attitude and distinctive britishness

What would Silverhead be?  I do like their 2 studio albums.

stooge

Dunno
Some not selling unknown but somehow influential UK beat band?

The Shocker

The singer was Michael Des Barres, so there's that.

stooge

Used to dig his wife's centerfold as a kid when I found daddy's old playboy collection

MikeyT

Quote from: stooge on August 29, 2016, 01:35:29 PM

You're driving me crazy with this stuff !

MikeyT

I like 'The Sweet'.

They were a little too commercial but still had some really cool songs. 'Fox On The Run' (a good Pop song), 'Blockbuster' ( a blast all the way around), and 'Ballroom Blitz' (love the chorus, or is it actually the bridge?, and the guitar on that one) come to mind.

sleestak

Wouldn't it be awesome if Tia Carrera the band covered ballroom blitz?
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

astroman