Suspiria (2018)

Started by renfield, November 05, 2018, 03:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

I don't usually get angry when they remake some beloved classic, but this one really rubbed me the wrong way since 90% of what is special about the original film is not the concept but the execution.

Well let me tell you, this remake was fucking almonds and cashews. It really tries to be a worthy and inventive successor rather than just a copycat. Not sure if it was a good movie or not but it was quite an experience.

lftwng4

So as a person who holds the original in the highest esteem, and am generally opposed to remakes/reunion tours, should I go see this?
Will I be able to judge it on it's own merits, or will I endlessly compare it to the original?

I'm also generally dismissive of almost all horror movies that have come out in the last 30 years, so.....
?????????

edit:  What's up with the question marks changing to emoticons?

renfield

It'd be pretty hard to compare it to the original because there's basically no elements in common with it.
Instead of an awesome Goblin synth score you get get mopey Thom Yorke.
Instead of incredible Argento colors you get this drab post-war Berlin vibe.
...and so on.

It's a really fuckin weird movie. Most people seem to hate it.

Lumpy

Quote from: lftwng4 on November 06, 2018, 11:38:07 AM
edit:  What's up with the question marks changing to emoticons?

Three "?" in a row = emoticon.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

lftwng4

Saw this last night in Ann Arbor.  Had to drive 1.5 hours to see it because it wasn't showing anywhere near me.
Hard to not compare it to the original, but as stated, it's nothing like Argento's classic.
It dragged along, didn't seem to have much cohesiveness, and I'm not sure it had a point.  It had no atmosphere, the music added nothing, there were no scares or suspenseful moments, and the blood at the end seemed gratuitous and almost comical, and not in a good way.  I thought the sub-plots of the holocaust survivor, the terrorism, and Suzy's mom were kinda pointless, or at least needlessly drawn out. Someone surmised that it seemed like they were laying the groundwork for sequels.  Even the much touted scene where the dancer was subjected to the forces throwing her about the studio was boring, and didn't match the dance that Suzy was performing. 
Bottom line is it wasn't fun, and instead chose to be arty and pretentious instead. 
I think movies like this are why I tend to shun "modern" horror for stuff from the 50s-70s.  I want escapism from everything that's going on in the world, as I get enough real horror in my day-to-day. 
I don't regret seeing it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

renfield

Sorry you drove such a long way for that experience. I liked it more than you but yeah, I can think of very few people to whom I would recommend this without a long list of caveats.