The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Started by Token, November 16, 2018, 08:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Token

retardgroove

That was terrible, Coen brothers fan.

Plywood

^ noooooo :(. I had to think about the last Coen brothers movie that I've seen &  if I liked it (I didn't) so that makes sense.

Muffin Man

NO DEAKINS! OMG. I thought it was Deakins so that's good. Its  Bruno Delbonnel. Watching this now. Corn-ball city but its early yet at 17min in. Took me a few times to get with A Might Wind, except for the awesome cast on that one. Oooh, another Coen Bros movie, back to it...

Muffin Man

bailed at 34min insert shakes head.gif

stooge

so it's not good huh?
as much as i love the coens - their last real good movie was a serious man
fargo on tv was brilliant though
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

renfield

He may have bailed because the 3rd chapter is so fucking devastatingly bleak it's hard to continue afterwards. I had to take a break after that, but looking forward to the rest.

I thought True Grit, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Hail Caesar were all great as well...

stooge

yeah forgot about true grit but that was still a good one
llewlyn davis was way to chewy and hail cesar was just meh in my book

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Muffin Man

I made it through after 3 starts/stops. I'll try another full sitting. The movie struck me as a parody of other movies or of their own previous works, like the joke is on us or something. Love the Coen movies, though I'm not quite "getting it" with BoBS yet. I've dialed up A Serious Man next since I kinda forgot what that one is about. I keep seeing J Goodman in Barton Fink while I'm typing this so that's due again.

renfield

The first chapter is the only one that really struck me as a parody, albeit a pretty twisted one with the level of ultraviolence inflicted by this grinning Roy Roger psychopath. But it's certainly heavily referential to their own previous work and western tropes in general. In the second segment, I was reminded of the fabled Apache attack from Blood Meridian. Pretty amazing stuff in my opinion.

Josh

Some of the stories are better than others, but overall I liked it. Anyone else think they used the set of Westworld for the Scruggs chapter? Looked really familiar to me.

stooge

just watched it
not good
not a train wreck but way too chewy
the end of that liam neeson episode was cool

juan11

I liked it.  It was all about the weird Cohen brothers atmosphere.  I thought that one story dragged on too long...
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

Plywood

9 outta 10

I was totally in with the first chapter. Buster Scruggs needs to have his own cartoon series. The next one was the weakest IMO with the overused & overrated James Franco - a good couple laughs tho. The next three is where drama hits, some boring bits, some real heart sinkers, man. Last one was somewhere in the Twilight Zone. The trapper was a real hoot, I can agree with: "People are like ferrets and beavers. One pretty much like the next." Like... we all the same man. Don't put yourself up above another brother. Empathy man... that's where it's at.

stooge

the only real cool scene of the whole thing was the end of that liam neeson episode when he threw the rock from the bridge and returned to the wagon smiling

black

Quote from: Josh on November 27, 2018, 07:22:54 PM
Some of the stories are better than others, but overall I liked it. Anyone else think they used the set of Westworld for the Scruggs chapter? Looked really familiar to me.

No Westworld hand-me-down sets.
Filmed entirely in Albuquerque, Albuquerque Studios & surrounding area including the Cook Ranch and the Eaves Movie Ranch. Site of such films as Silverado, Lonely Are The Brave and a mess of other Westerns, commercials and music videos. In particular some cheese-fest Bon Jovi vid where they were dressed up as homosexual cowboys and part of the late 20th Century, Epic song/video, November Rain by the Guns & Roses. Not homosexual, but in the vernacular of the times, "totally gay."

I know about most of the sets used in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs from having the acquaintance of an inordinate amount of extras (including my otherwise unemployable, sensitive artiste neighbor) due to a casting call for disheveled, unkempt, grubby looking males, who can stand around for hours on end at random times of the day and night, which we have in spades out here.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.