Game of Thrones

Started by The Shocker, April 18, 2011, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Ok, I have never read the books this series is based on, so I can't comment how they differ.  That said, I found the first episode very entertaining and not as confusing as I thought it might be.  Some good beheadings and some choice nudity certainly helped hold my interest.

GodShifter

Not too terrible differences from the book to the series so far (going by one single episode).

I thought, for the most part, it did a good job of depicting what I imagined the world of Westeros looks like and where Daenarys is also. Minor complaints from me in the some of the characters don't look how I think Martin describes them as, but, whatever...

A-

juggernaut

Quote from: deaner33 on April 18, 2011, 05:21:30 PM
Ok, I have never read the books this series is based on, so I can't comment how they differ.  That said, I found the first episode very entertaining and not as confusing as I thought it might be.  Some good beheadings and some choice nudity certainly helped hold my interest.

Yeah, I've never read the books either but I definitely liked the first episode.  I mean you can't really go wrong with beheadings, random violence, copious nudity and brother sister fucking.   Can't wait to see what they have in store for the next episode.

The Shocker

So is the dwarf the coolest character in the book?  Cause he kicked ass last night.  Anya (?) is pretty awesome too.

peoplething

I've never read the books, or seen the show, but Dwarfs are always the coolest characters.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

GodShifter

Tyrion, the Dwarf, is probably one of the most loved characters in the entire series, yes. He's very intelligent, has a conscience, and is very fallible which makes readers be able to relate to him.

giantchris

Just saw the 2nd episode it looks like its almost word for word and scene by scene from the book which is a VERY good sign.  I haven't read them in a couple years but I can't think of anything they missed yet except for when Joffrey got into it with Rob Stark at Winterfell which is only one scene.

Glad they started to pick it up honestly the first book in the series is a lot of setup the latter books are almost entirely action and backstabbing.  It should be great TV.

Volume

Looks really promising. Like GodShifter said some characters don't look like I imagined them, but then they never do.

The Shocker

Ok, I'm having trouble keeping up with all the characters.  Good thing my new Kindle is coming tomorrow, will be getting these books right away.

GodShifter

Yeah, and the thing is, if you've read the books then some the stuff they introduce as "background" for the characters comes across as kind of boring. For instance, Jon Snow's lament of not wanting to get a whore pregnant, thus creating another "bastard" or Viserys's description of the Red Keep and the dragon skulls. All background that is explained in greater detail and from other's character's perspectives in the book but for the sake of the show and time and flow ....

Last night was good but kind of dragged a bit because of what I was talking about^

Dean-o, you need any help with the characters? Let me know. I'll help you out.

The Shocker

First, I probably should get off-line while I watch the shows.  I understand the basic plot points - what I have trouble with are the references to characters that haven't shown up yet (or won't) and locations that have only been referred to so far.  I have been reading up on characters on Wikipedia to understand the relationships better. 

EaterofBirds

I like it enough to look forward to seeing it every week, but it's a tough follow. Yeah, the referencing to different characters in upcoming episodes is a real bummer if you havent read the books (like me). Hard to love it, and hard not to like it. It's a case where some tweaking to make it alittle more watchable through all the dialogue would have been warranted...but obv not by the people loyal to the books. Very well acted across the board though

The Shocker

Quote from: GodShifter on May 09, 2011, 09:28:29 PM
Yeah, and the thing is, if you've read the books then some the stuff they introduce as "background" for the characters comes across as kind of boring. For instance, Jon Snow's lament of not wanting to get a whore pregnant, thus creating another "bastard" or Viserys's description of the Red Keep and the dragon skulls. All background that is explained in greater detail and from other's character's perspectives in the book but for the sake of the show and time and flow ....

Last night was good but kind of dragged a bit because of what I was talking about^

Dean-o, you need any help with the characters? Let me know. I'll help you out.
Quote from: EaterofBirds on May 10, 2011, 02:40:34 PM
I like it enough to look forward to seeing it every week, but it's a tough follow. Yeah, the referencing to different characters in upcoming episodes is a real bummer if you havent read the books (like me). Hard to love it, and hard not to like it. It's a case where some tweaking to make it alittle more watchable through all the dialogue would have been warranted...but obv not by the people loyal to the books. Very well acted across the board though

Yeah, like who was the dude that got jousted in the neck?  Also, what was the big deal about the King's son at the blacksmith's?

GodShifter

Ser Hugh is the knight who was lanced in the neck. He was, originally, the squire to Jon Arryn, who was the "Hand To The King" who dies before the first episode even gets started. Arryn's death is the reason Ned Stark has to become the next "Hand". Hugh becoming a knight right after Arryn's death raises some suspicions about a) his possible involvement in Arryn's death or b) his knowledge of someone poisoning Arryn and he gets the title of knight to shut him up. Then his death at the tournament shuts him up permanently .... (did someone put Ser Gregor up to killing him? hmmm)

Gendry, the King's bastard son, is of interest to Jon Arryn (and Ned Stark) for reasons that are not clear yet, but the bloodline and possible succession of the throne if Robert was to die, are of interest here ....

The Shocker

Ah, got it.  Started reading Game of Thrones last night, first difference I noticed is that everyone's age in the book is at least 4-5 years less than on the show.  Makes sense, can't have 13 year olds having sex on the TV show.  I'm liking Martin's writing style - easy to read, but still well written.  Reading it on the Kindle is cool too - the built in dictionary helps with some of the obscure words.

GodShifter

The Shocker

Fuck yeah!  Last night's show kicked ass.  Crown of gold and all...

johnny problem

Damn this show is addictive.  I can't stop watching it.

The Shocker

Read an article on Entertainment Weekly that everyone is scared viewership will drop since Ned Stark was killed off. He was just about my least favorite character so I'm more than fine with it.

Sent from my fuckin phone using Tapatalk.

GodShifter

I think it's more because of Sean Bean than anything else. He is, easily, the best known actor in the cast.

I missed the last 4 episodes, so what do I know?

berrugal

I'm watching the series this days, I like it a lot, it's interesting to see how some places are just like I imagined from reading the book, it feels like I knew the place. But I don't like Bon Jovi doing Jamie Lannister.
Regarding the map, we are lost

The Shocker

That's the way to do a final episode.  The baby dragons were cool as fuck.  Didn't hurt that there were titties in the scene either.

giantchris

Quote from: deaner33 on June 21, 2011, 08:59:53 PM
That's the way to do a final episode.  The baby dragons were cool as fuck.  Didn't hurt that there were titties in the scene either.
Yeah in the book that chick is like 14 or 15 at the start. 

I read a bunch of people are worried that the second season won't do as well because they killed off the main character who is essentially the biggest name actor in the thing.  I'm kinda curious if they've cast some of the main characters who appear in the second book like Stannis and Melisandre yet.

The Shocker

Fuck those people.  Ned Stark was easily the most boring character in the first season.  So what if the actor was famous.

Reading the book now - the girl is 13 in the book.  I read an article that she is supposed to be 17 on the show, which is still young!

sleestak

The wife and I ended up watching all of these in about 2 weeks after being ignorant to their existence until just before then.

Good stuff all the way through....

I fear that if they do every book as a season this show will face the same fate as Deadwood in that it will never be finished.

Particularly for 50-60 million per season.  (as the first was rumored to have cost)
Killing threads is my business and business is good.