Game of Thrones

Started by The Shocker, April 18, 2011, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Quote from: sleestak on July 11, 2011, 03:57:36 PM
The wife and I ended up watching all of these in about 2 weeks after being ignorant to their existence until just before then.

Good stuff all the way through....

I fear that if they do every book as a season this show will face the same fate as Deadwood in that it will never be finished.

Particularly for 50-60 million per season.  (as the first was rumored to have cost)

It's all about the ratings.  Deadwood, while great, never had enough viewers.  Same with The Wire.  I think Game of Thrones has enough built-in audience (the book readers) and costume dramas are in right now.  Guess we'll see after the second season.

sleestak

Milch was interviewed by Esquire in January of 2011 and when questioned about Deadwood said: "I don't know that the last word has been said on the subject ... I still nourish the hope that we're going to get to do a little more work in that area."
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

The Shocker

I'd definitely tune in.  Loved Deadwood.  Of course Olyphant now has Justified, which is actually decent.

GodShifter

Yeah, I read, originally, Milch wanted to do two two hour movies to wrap up "Deadwood" instead of leaving it hanging. I think, though, due to the cost of the sets, getting the talent back together, and everything else, "Deadwood" is probably done with unless they narrowed the scope to maybe one character in a different time period or maybe a couple of characters ...

diasdegalvan

Thought you guys might be interested in this the DVD as well as blu-ray comes out on March 6.

and this...

The Shocker

I may have to get my dad the DVD set for Father's Day.

JemDooM

Im loving it, watched the first four episodes the other night, I was only going to watch one!

My friend Jim is an extra in this he said some of it was pretty dangerous filming battle scenes, a few people got badly trampled by horses, I like to get all the horse related stories...
DooM!

The Shocker

Daffy

Very good show! im reading the books as well, im at book 4 now...damn good books! love it!

The Shocker

That redhead sex witch got nekkid!

juggernaut

Quote from: deaner33 on April 10, 2012, 08:01:44 PM
That redhead sex witch got nekkid!

I still prefer Ros for my redhead sex vixen fantasies.  Although it looks like she lost a bit of her mojo.  Quite the pep talk from littlefinger though.

MadJohnShaft

This recapper is very entertaining and right on - I'm a lazy tv viewer and these heavily plotted shows are too hard for me to keep up with without some help

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-dead-may-never-die/5/
Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Shocker

grimniggzy

I enjoyed being able to run through the 1st season a few episodes at a time ondemand.
I can't seem to buckle down and catch this season, so far I've watched one episode out of order.
I may wait until the seasons done and repeat what I did for the 1st season.

The Shocker

Damn, the show is moving fast now.

Sex witch giving birth to a demon was awesome!
Also, Tyrion is the man!

NewGuy

yea i want to see what the smoke thing that crawled out of the witch is up to

also want to see how all this crazy 'iron throne fever' everyone has pans out... assuming not good

MadJohnShaft

Angry mob rips off arms!
Some days chickens, some days feathers

juggernaut

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 07, 2012, 05:33:40 PM

Angry mob rips off arms!

Just think, he could have just got out of there with a little shit on his face.  Still, we wouldn't have been able to witness dog's mini-rampage which was a thing of malevolent beauty and killing efficiency.

The Shocker

Any time Joffrey gets the shit slapped out of him, it's a great episode.

Worthless Willie

I can't wait to see that little fucker's head on a stick.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

diasdegalvan

I want to start reading the books the show is based on I have the first three books but am currently reading the Dark Tower series. I think after I finish reading Wizard and Glass which I'll read Game of Thrones that girl Arya is pretty badass my favorite character on the show. What do you guys think about the last two books? They have mixed reviews on Amazon something about all build up or something from what I understood.

The Shocker

I only made it through the first book.  I read a lot (everyday), but that book was so dense.  Tough read for me.  I actually prefer the show as it seems to streamline a lot of the stuff and it's way easier for me to keep track of who's who. 

GodShifter

I've read the first three twice and the last two only once a piece.

IMO -- The last two do a poor job of extending the story to any viable point at all. It seems like it's practically all character studies, introspection, and so forth; just very little that drives the narrative to any real significant plot climaxes.

Don't get me wrong; there's some stuff that happens that is important. But, for the most, for a book series that is supposed to be wrapped up in two more novels, I can't see for the life of me how's it's going to be done outside of killing off multiple POV characters. Just way too many plot angles, too many characters, and too slow moving.

Short story: I don't recommend the last books, either.

peterlies

Godshifter, you're right on the money. After the brilliance of the first three books, the last two were meh at best. The last one in particular seemed to have no focus. I still havent watched the series, but from the clips I've seen, it seems they've done a great job of casting it.

The Shocker

"The more people you love the weaker you are."