Downton Abbey series one

Started by MadJohnShaft, February 22, 2012, 07:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Netflixed through the seven episodes in season one - very entertaining.  Here comes WWI.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

lftwng4

You know they've already aired season 2 on PBS?

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, stupid Comcast only has the last two episodes. Suppose could buy series 2 from Apple.  

Bing bing bing - where there is a will there is a way - PBS iPad app has all of season two - airplay it up to the TV and we are in business.  Sure is a ton of great characters on that show.

Poor Mr Bates - hate that ex-wife.

MadJohnShaft

Season Two very good as well. All done now.  Worth watching for certain.

bitter

I've been thinking about watching this series as I've always liked the masterpiece theater series on PBS. I think the only thing that kept me away was that DA wasn't quite as Victorian as other offerings, which usually equates to less mutton chops, ruffled collars, and most importantly, corseted cleavage.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

bitter

Just finished season 1 and it was impressive. Very rarely can a series incorporate so many wonderful characters without sacrificing the story line. Nice balance between the two worlds as well. Joanne Froggatt is lovely, as usual.

Dunedin

Someone I know was an extra on DA. He has quite a back story. He was doused in petrol and set alight while asleep at a party by two guys he'd had a drunken argument with earlier that night. As a result he lost both his legs, most of his fingers are gone, suffered massive burns damage as you can imagine. He appeared as one of the wounded soldiers when the house gets used as a hospice during the great war.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

bitter

I don't know what to say to that? Right on for him, I guess ???  :D

Dunedin

To be honest I think that would be most peoples reaction Bitter, its a pretty fucked up story. But yeah, the guy hasnt let it get in his way, he's a very active and creative person.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

MadJohnShaft

Poor Mr Bates!  Mary and Matthew.

PBS app took down series two and so did comcast so we finally bought it from iTunes for $20 when we were in Mexico.  Paying for free tv now.

bitter

I think amazon has the 2nd series/season for around $15. I also noticed that the amazon app/player is now included alongside netflix on my PS3. Might try it out to see how it stacks up against the netflix app.   

MadJohnShaft

Looks like PBS is showing season 2 again starting Sunday

bitter

GodShifter

No offense, but when my 77 year old mother raves about a show (her favorite is, for instance, 'The Big Bang Theory'), then I get wary. She loves this show. Therefore, I'm pretty doubtful I'd like this. Shaft and her should have a marathon session of this and 'The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency' series. I'll order the DVDs for youse on Netflix.

bitter

I think you should give it a chance. Unlike the big bang theory, Downton Abbey is a high-caliber drama.

GodShifter

Oh, I know it's not even in the same ballpark as 'The Big Bang Theory' in terms of anything. I was just merely pointing out, for the most part, my mother has terrible taste in television shows.

I'll give er' a shot, though.

bitter

Sorry GS, I was distracted during that last post and kind of left it less than refined. I didn't truly mean to insinuate anything negative, rather that the quality of this program is on par with the other Masterpiece series. I will say that anyone will be hard pressed to find programing of this level on television today.   

GodShifter

No worries, bitter. I understood.  :)

MadJohnShaft

bitter

I checked the local schedule for my PBS station and it looks like they aren't running it here, which is disappointing. Not a total loss though, as they are stating to run the second series of Sherlock instead!

MadJohnShaft

Yes! It's gone now.  I saw the ad several times and only noted it because we had just bought it... They must have been doing better selling it.  I have all of series 2 on this here iPad....

Sunday night at 8-10 has Games of Thrones, Mad Men but with Sherlock at the same time... What to record, what to record....

Update: DT Abbey 2 is on some network called LAKE HD Which is one of those PBS spinoff channels, I guess.

neighbor664

jmucke

Worth watching for Maggie Smith alone.

MadJohnShaft

Series Three starts in America on Sunday.  Lady Mary yo.

jmucke