RoboCop

Started by Jor el, February 12, 2014, 07:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

Quote from: Lumpy on February 18, 2014, 09:46:57 PM
The original is relatively low-budget, but has a lot of good things going for it. Don't make me start listing them.

Hollywood needs to come up with new material, the remake trend is shit. It just shows that some people are all out (or incapable) of new ideas, in which case they need to GTFO of the movie business.

There are no more good ideas left to explore, said no one with a brain ever.

Well said.  I couldn't agree more. 

Narco Pollo

The problem isn't people don't have new ideas.  New ideas are flying out people's asses.  The problem is Hollywood won't risk putting money on a new idea when they have data that shows enough retards will pay to see a remake that doesn't carry the same risk.
The whole "Hollywood is out of ideas." concept is too Ayn Rand for me. "Once the creators are gone, the leeches will starve."  Bullshit, one second after a single "creator" leaves, the void is immediately fought over by thousands of "leeches."
YouTube is our only hope.
Drug Chicken

Lumpy

I wasn't criticizing the writers.

Star Wars ruined American mainstream cinema for Hollywood. The "blockbuster" mentality, where movies want to be a box office home run. The remake aspect is supposed to be an additional selling point. "Remember how you loved the Flintstones? Well now they're back, in 3D!"
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

ez

Big Hollywood movies these days are business ventures, where return on investment is just as important as it is in any other business venture.

That being said, with an estimated budget of USD 100 Million, and only about USD 31 Million made to date, RoboCop has not been that successful (yet?). One can only hope that numbers like this will deter Hollywood from making more soulless remakes of classic movies.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lumpy

Anybody who doesn't think the first version is great, I don't want to know you.

Remember when the barrel of acid splashes on one of the henchmen, and he starts melting? Is that in the new version ??!!??!!??

lftwng4

Quote from: Lumpy on February 20, 2014, 06:40:17 AM

Remember when the barrel of acid splashes on one of the henchmen, and he starts melting? Is that in the new version ??!!??!!??

Yeah, the first Robocop is a classic.  Don't know how that can even be debated.  Maybe the second one not so much. 
I loved the little things in the movie, the guy who keeps saying "I'd buy that for a dollar" the SUX6000, "Bitches leave", the aforementioned acid bath, "Dead or alive, you're coming with me"-all great stuff.

Jor el

"Bitches Leave" is indeed funny.

The movie is horrible.
Verhoeven is HORRIBLE.
What Would Scooby Do ?

boltthrow

The best re-purposing of "Bitches leave."

peoplething

I've revisited the original in the last couple years and yeah, it didn't age well for me either - seemed the 80's cheesiness over shadowed the good stuff.

BUT, there is some good stuff in it. alot was already mentioned,  and Kurtwood Smith's Clarence Boddicker is, for my money, one of the best pure sociopath's I've ever seen. I'll also add that the scene were they shoot up weller before he's robocop. the cinematography and gore in that scene holds up even by today's standards.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

JkFlesh

Quote from: lftwng4 on February 20, 2014, 08:35:59 AM

Yeah, the first Robocop is a classic.  Don't know how that can even be debated.  Maybe the second one not so much. 
I loved the little things in the movie, the guy who keeps saying "I'd buy that for a dollar" the SUX6000, "Bitches leave", the aforementioned acid bath, "Dead or alive, you're coming with me"-all great stuff.

100% agree.

The original is a really nasty, dead-on satire and its predictions were remarkably  prescient, especially the way traditionally public functions have become increasingly privatized.  Plus, it's a shitload of fun.

The remake was okay, not a travesty, mostly just forgettable.

Narco Pollo

Drug Chicken

Lumpy

MikeyT

Quote from: JkFlesh on February 20, 2014, 11:59:05 AM
Quote from: lftwng4 on February 20, 2014, 08:35:59 AM

100% agree.

The original is a really nasty, dead-on satire and its predictions were remarkably  prescient, especially the way traditionally public functions have become increasingly privatized.  Plus, it's a shitload of fun.

+ 1
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

MikeyT

Saw the 2014 RoboCop last night. Not bad. I'd say it's a 6 or 6.5.
  The idea that regularly driving through heavy traffic at extreme speeds on a motorcycle could be done without any complications is absurd. That got on my nerves.

It's been a long time since I saw the first one, but I remember it being a lot more fun. The new one is interesting, though.

I sprung for a large popcorn and large Pepsi so unfortunately I had to hit the RR to take a pee at the exact moment RoboCop stormed  the OmniCorp building. Typical.  ::)

black

You're supposed to pee in the cup.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MikeyT

There was still some Pepsi in there!   :P

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Overfloater

Yeah this gargled. They should learn not to remake classics movies.
Recent Thing remake, Robocop, Rob Zombies Halloween, and the mother of all failures the remake of Total Recall with Colin Farell.