MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

Started by JkFlesh, May 12, 2015, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R8R

This movie is fucking gorgeous. I don't think anyone has hit on that yet. There are scenes that are just nut-dropping they are so beautiful. Both in scenery and sheer carnage. I went with LOWWW expectations and it blew me the fuck away.

And as far as the campy stuff... you just roll with it and it's rad. If you are going to this expecting some gritty reality flick forget it. None of the Mad Max movies have ever provided that.

Fun death on wheels.

The Shocker

Yeah, isn't Australia just another Florida?

LOVED the movie. So OTT!

Fuck you!

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

EaterofBirds

awesome movie and relentless....editing was masterful..filters are a but wonky..orange for desert, blue for dark..but hard to find a flaw in this.

Read that the guitar player and the drummers were a signification of war that Miller drew out as used in the Civil War times..over the top? Sure..but cool as fuck, plus had real flamethrowers installed.

10/10 here as well..fun, crazy and the best of the series. by a mile

The Shocker

I loved the guitar player.  Every time he was on the screen I chuckled.

Danny G

Want to see this, tho my lady can't handle violent movies.

That, and while I am not very knowledgeable about cars, this is fucking fascinating:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-12/every-killer-car-in-mad-max-fury-road-explained
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

agent of change

Epic. Wish I had seen it in 3D.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

The Shocker

I have seen it twice now. Good rewatch and I want to see it in 3D. And I hate 3D.

Fuck you!

nicster

My favourite film of the year so far. And action films aren't my preferred genre but this is a masterpiece.

Expertly directed, cinematography is spectacular (apparently John Seale came out of retirement to DoP the film), art direction is beautiful, editing is perfect and the script is brilliant. I love that there is minimal dialogue and little exposition of the back story. It adds to the intensity of the film.

And Charlize Theron was awesome. In my opinion, she is the main character and Max is a sidekick. Both are good, but Charlize as Furiosa was mesmerizing. She had this level of intensity that Tom Hardy couldn't match, imo. Also loved the guitar guy on the truck (the Doof Master) and the older biker women (apparently they all did their own riding).  Finally a film with some good female characters and no ridiculous love story clumsily tacked on.

5/5 from me.

The Shocker

nicster

I'm still surprised at how much I loved this movie.

And if there are any vfx nerds here, this is a good article on the vfx breakdown.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-graphic-tale-the-visual-effects-of-mad-max-fury-road/

gritty_fingers

I liked the movie a lot but I thought the plot of the Road Warrior was better.

Like someone said on this thread, this movie is a different animal.
"Ginger People"

Lumpy

I just read a blurb that said there's no dialogue and no character development. Just a lot of explosions, then?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

There is dialogue, just not much from Max.  And fuck character development, that's not what this movie is about.

Some cool concept art:

http://www.peterpound.com.au/mad-max-fury-road/concept-design/

stooge

i am a big fan of mr rockatansky´s adventures since the first movie
so i am aware that mad max has always been mostly car chases through the wasteland/desert
but in this movie there is nothing but that
the movie lost me when they drove back
i whish they at least showed gastown or whatever
but it was nothing but computer generated action sequences
thank god it was not in 3d
but that seems to be over thank god except for kids
nice chicks though...
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

GodShifter

There was some computer generated special effects, sure, but from what I've read, most of the stunts and effects were practical. In other words, all the cars were functional, the stunts were performed by actual stuntmen, etc. It wasn't just a "San Andreas" type of deal where everything that happens is CGI. Nevertheless, if you didn't like the story, you didn't like it.

stooge

what story? ;)
the cars were cool
but overall to fast too many cuts
just over the top action
but hey what di know i am old
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

boltthrow

I thought it was... okay. 

Charlize is a terrible actress, the dialogue was pretty banal when it was supposed to be Important, Tom Hardy did his grunting routine from Lawless, the truck got stuck in the mud... then it got out... then it got stuck again... the CGI sandstorm and tornado just seemed kinda too big...  And there were a LOT of places where the CGI simply sucked.

The action was impressive but how many times can we do a truck being chased by smaller vehicles and 1) some cars get sucked under the wheels and crushed... 2) others shred tires... 3) the truck rams something in front of it while people crawl around on the hood...  After Road Warrior, it was repetitive in Thunderdome and now once again... 

And that's my biggest beef, something I didn't even like in Thunderdome: the imagining of the apocalyptic future.  I just didn't buy it.  The worshiping on the v-8 just seemed silly.  The guy with the guitar was fine but who cares?  You couldn't even hear his riffs clearly.  Everything seemed in the service of a world dreamed up by production designers not anyone thinking about human nature.  I know I know... It was fantasy etc.  But the peoples' concerns didn't seem rooted in what people actually want.  The Road Warrior had people dressing up but it seemed like a personal expression on top of them fighting for something very vital: their own survival linked to the energy resources.

And this invention of Max being haunted by "people he couldn't save."  That seems like the lamest addition of a Hollywood-type "want" which is supposed to make him a hero.  What was cool about Max is that he helped people reluctantly, not because he cared.

Again, I know I know.  They had to do something new.  But anyway, it was okay.         

The Shocker

Quote from: boltthrow on June 26, 2015, 11:26:33 AM
The action was impressive but how many times can we do a truck being chased by smaller vehicles and 1) some cars get sucked under the wheels and crushed... 2) others shred tires... 3) the truck rams something in front of it while people crawl around on the hood... 

A million billion times if you ask me.

boltthrow

lowdaddy

It was dumb.  I wanted to like it.  I was naively excited by the hype.  It was fun for about 30 minutes, and then....dumb.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

GodShifter

I hate to admit it, but I enjoy boltthrow's reviews (and generally agree with them). Despite the horrible schlock you've cranked out for TV, you are at least in the industry, so I respect your opinion (begrudgingly).

gritty_fingers

Quote from: GodShifter on June 27, 2015, 12:03:49 PM
I hate to admit it, but I enjoy boltthrow's reviews (and generally agree with them). Despite the horrible schlock you've cranked out for TV, you are at least in the industry, so I respect your opinion (begrudgingly).

I think Blue Bloods is a decent TV show but I find the scenes where everyone talks at the family table to be a tired gimmick. It sometimes breaks the rhythm of the show. Other than that, it's pretty good.

I'm not sure what else Bolt has worked on though. I figured that if you work on Network TV, you have more restrictions than a cable channel.
"Ginger People"

Lumpy

Bolt was a writer on the sitcoms "The Trouble with Herpes" and "She's My Beard".

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

boltthrow

Those were two of my biggest hits!